Sask and Hamilton make a trade...

Started by The Zipp, August 14, 2023, 12:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

The other day Derek Walker released from SSK.  Color me shocked... not.  Washed up has-been got bit by the "NFL-ruined-me" curse.  That's pretty sad when you get released in favor of Sterns hahaha.  At least it'll free up a good chunk of SMS$$.

My question is: he was on IR... I thought there was either a rule or an unwritten rule that you don't release IR players?

Bonus question: Is that the end of him in the CFL?
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 15, 2023, 04:56:58 AM
The other day Derek Walker released from SSK.  Color me shocked... not.  Washed up has-been got bit by the "NFL-ruined-me" curse.  That's pretty sad when you get released in favor of Sterns hahaha.  At least it'll free up a good chunk of SMS$$.

My question is: he was on IR... I thought there was either a rule or an unwritten rule that you don't release IR players?

Pretty sure they released him once his IR stint was done... had to wait for that.

Someone with a WR injury late in the season will take a chance he still has something in the tank...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I disagree, Walker showed well early in the season, he still has the speed, moves and hands to be effective and he's no longer dogging it.  He's too small to block so not a good fit for the Bombers, but the Ti-Cats and RB's could both use more effective receivers IMO.  I have a soft spot for small shifty receivers like Dressler, Tasker, Walker and Moore in Edm. although I realize they don't fit the Bombers current offensive gameplan.

DM83

Huh? What do you mean by small? How big is he?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 15, 2023, 04:02:24 PM
I disagree, Walker showed well early in the season, he still has the speed, moves and hands to be effective and he's no longer dogging it.  He's too small to block so not a good fit for the Bombers, but the Ti-Cats and RB's could both use more effective receivers IMO.  I have a soft spot for small shifty receivers like Dressler, Tasker, Walker and Moore in Edm. although I realize they don't fit the Bombers current offensive gameplan.

1) He had 3 catches for 28 yards.
2) Walker is 6 foot 2.

Nic16

Walker was not on the IR when released. He was released for what seems like 2 reasons. One being cost savings and two being he lost his wide receiver starting job to Tevon Jones.

And to add, Walker did not suffer from the ?NFL ruined me curse?. After his very brief stint in the NFL he was a 2 time all-star and an MOP nominee for the Argos.

What he did suffer from was a nagging knee injury and outside of MBT - a lack of a quality QB.

Is that the end of him??well he is 32 and with a troubling injury issues. And he likely won?t accept a substantial drop in pay, so it very well could be.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 16, 2023, 01:42:32 PM
1) He had 3 catches for 28 yards.
2) Walker is 6 foot 2.

He plays small, blocking ain't his bag.  ;D

dd

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Hamilton has also claimed OL Szott off of Sask practice squad... how bad is your oline when you need to go to sask practice roster for an o lineman ( Same one as we and mtrl let go)

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 17, 2023, 10:27:13 PM
Hamilton has also claimed OL Szott off of Sask practice squad... how bad is your oline when you need to go to sask practice roster for an o lineman ( Same one as we and mtrl let go)

Did they?  Is this that much ballyhooed but rarely seen "PR sniping"?  Did SSK have a chance to respond before he was sniped?
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 17, 2023, 11:31:27 PM
Did they?  Is this that much ballyhooed but rarely seen "PR sniping"?  Did SSK have a chance to respond before he was sniped?

Yep, the Ti-Cats just broke the hands-off PR agreement that's been respected for many years. Bombers better be careful who they leave exposed, although the player would have to agree to the move so not likely they would lose anyone.

bluebeard

There is no doubt in my mind that Hamilton advised Regina of their intentions before doing so.  In other words, the Riders had no objevtion to their action

theaardvark

Its weird, Szott has bounced around so much, he must have some talent, but something must become apparent after time...

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 18, 2023, 05:08:29 PM
Its weird, Szott has bounced around so much, he must have some talent, but something must become apparent after time...

some talent = a Canadian body who has played games

something becomes apparent = not very good
My wife is amazing!