Sask and Hamilton make a trade...

Started by The Zipp, August 14, 2023, 12:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Wow, uh, I guess. A big nothing trade between 2 cellar dwellers going no where fast. I know the riders are ahead of the elks, but their season is nose diving fast. It?s going to end with a big explosion!!!

Stats Junkie

Lots to comment on here

As PJ posted - Hamilton signed QB Mike Glass earlier today which made Pipkin expendable.
            Glass threw 7 passes for Montreal in the pre-season

Hamilton's injury report from practice today showed P Bailey Flint - not injury related. Vedvik in Hamilton may be a temporary solution.

All teams are required to have 3 QBs on their game day roster in 2023. Saskatchewan needed a 3rd QB which allows them to put Fine on the 6-game injured list if necessary.

Re: QB for punter trade - I'm not sure if it is a first.

Re: first global trade - NO!

Re: Vernon Adams
I think he is grossly underrated by many (including Doug Brown). He was 21-14 as a starter prior to this season and he is now 6-1 in 2023. I had him ranked as the #2 QB in the CFL prior to this season. Chad Kelly has entered the conversation.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 14, 2023, 04:01:33 AM
All teams are required to have 3 QBs on their game day roster in 2023. Saskatchewan needed a 3rd QB which allows them to put Fine on the 6-game injured list if necessary.

What a silly rule if it's required.  Like SSK, what if many get injured?  You have to make silly trades just to fill a spot before you go an cut the guy in 2 weeks when the real guy comes off the IR?

What's to keep you from rostering Mr. NAT LBer from your existing PR as your 3rd QB and call it a day?  Does the league check if you 3rd QB really can play QB?
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 14, 2023, 12:50:53 AM
That's what I thought about VAJ!!  Before this season I thought VAJ=Pipkin.  VAJ improved, why not little Pip?  Ya, I won't put money on it either.  But zero other options for SSK.  I'm proud of their GM for actually getting something positive accomplished.  At least he looks like he's doing something.

Does this hint that Fine is hurt more/longer than we thought?

Also, is this a smart move specifically for LDC/BB?  Pipkin is/was a "running QB" and clearly we've had problems with those.

I don't know what your thing against VAJ is, but he's been a legit starter for a long time. Pipkin has never elevated above short-yardage guy.
My wife is amazing!

bunker

By memory VAJ was a bit of a Jekyl and Hyde QB, looking great one moment, then throwing horrible interceptions and making bad decisions the next. He seems to have improved significantly. Could be that's him maturing, a better situation in BC with a good O-line,receivers and OC, or perhaps a bit of both.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 14, 2023, 05:31:34 AM
What a silly rule if it's required.  Like SSK, what if many get injured?  You have to make silly trades just to fill a spot before you go an cut the guy in 2 weeks when the real guy comes off the IR?

What's to keep you from rostering Mr. NAT LBer from your existing PR as your 3rd QB and call it a day?  Does the league check if you 3rd QB really can play QB?

A technically that can easily be solved if there are multiple injuires. You can name any player a QB. Teams are allowed to have 2 QB's on the field at the same time as well. Bombers could name Woli as the # 3 Qb and still play him as a receiver.

Lockesly is another example where he also played as a receiver and # 3 B.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 14, 2023, 12:50:53 AM
That's what I thought about VAJ!!  Before this season I thought VAJ=Pipkin.  VAJ improved, why not little Pip?  Ya, I won't put money on it either.  But zero other options for SSK.  I'm proud of their GM for actually getting something positive accomplished.  At least he looks like he's doing something.

Does this hint that Fine is hurt more/longer than we thought?

Also, is this a smart move specifically for LDC/BB?  Pipkin is/was a "running QB" and clearly we've had problems with those.

You're of course free to think whatever you want, but that is a straight up "C'mon Man!" Pipken couldn't (and never could) carry VAJ's jock strap.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bunker on August 14, 2023, 03:16:21 PM
By memory VAJ was a bit of a Jekyl and Hyde QB, looking great one moment, then throwing horrible interceptions and making bad decisions the next. He seems to have improved significantly. Could be that's him maturing, a better situation in BC with a good O-line,receivers and OC, or perhaps a bit of both.

The good thing to remember about V.A. is he still cracks mentally, that game against the Argos in which he threw 5-6 interceptions left him rocking back and forth on the sidelines mumbling to himself and sucking his thumb.  He can be broken.

dd

I think any Qb throwing 5 or 6 picks is going to freak out.

I think VA has come of age and he is very comfortable in the bc lions offense. We will have to beat them to get to the GC. I think we can beat them but the whuppin they gave us at home makes me cautious not cocky when thinking about this showdown.

booch

srp heaping at it's best...desperate need for any kind of QB there....sad state of affairs but looks good on them

theaardvark

Patterson is a USFL reclamation project, there were far better ones in USFL and XFL that we have yet to see come north.  Guessing many of them are in NFL preseason camps... were I the GM of one of the struggling teams, I'd be shaking those trees...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 14, 2023, 03:07:46 PM
I don't know what your thing against VAJ is, but he's been a legit starter for a long time. Pipkin has never elevated above short-yardage guy.

Quote from: bomb squad on August 14, 2023, 03:36:13 PM
You're of course free to think whatever you want, but that is a straight up "C'mon Man!" Pipken couldn't (and never could) carry VAJ's jock strap.

I still have memories from when they were both together back in, I think, MTL and they were starting one one week and one the next and bouncing all over the place.  Neither looked good, or not very good for very long.  Yes, VAJ would show glimmers for a week or two once in a while.  But Pipkin had a couple of good games, too.

I definitely have a thing against VAJ.  Sorry, I just don't like the guy.  He bounced around so much and got plenty of starts here and there and was always benched in favor of whoever and then traded away.  His hissy fit trying to kill Biggie with his own helmet sealed it for me.  Do I need to get you guys that clip to remind you of the headcase he is?  We've never seen such a thing from a starting QB in the CFL, ever.

If he's legit and performs for his fans, then I'm happy for the CFL as we're in desperate need of QBs.  But in my mind I dislike him about as much as I do BLM.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

I am happy. For VAJ.  If nothing else, he. Is persistent.
However the hissy fits are embarrassing.  Guys that think they are ?the?:story bother me.

VAJ  has improved and it?s nice to see him play well behind the super improved O line.

If it continues maybe  a BC vs Argos grey Cup

Still a long way to go.

dd

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 14, 2023, 10:59:05 PM
I still have memories from when they were both together back in, I think, MTL and they were starting one one week and one the next and bouncing all over the place.  Neither looked good, or not very good for very long.  Yes, VAJ would show glimmers for a week or two once in a while.  But Pipkin had a couple of good games, too.

I definitely have a thing against VAJ.  Sorry, I just don't like the guy.  He bounced around so much and got plenty of starts here and there and was always benched in favor of whoever and then traded away.  His hissy fit trying to kill Biggie with his own helmet sealed it for me.  Do I need to get you guys that clip to remind you of the headcase he is?  We've never seen such a thing from a starting QB in the CFL, ever.

If he's legit and performs for his fans, then I'm happy for the CFL as we're in desperate need of QBs.  But in my mind I dislike him about as much as I do BLM.

I remember the bighill helmet swinging incident . It was a joke. I don?t recall that Adams even got kicked out of the game for that incident which makes it even more of a joke.

He is the ultimate primadona headcase who likes to meltdown frequently. That said, I don?t recall him melting down this season. Has he grown out of this crazy stage ???

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on August 15, 2023, 03:38:07 AM
He is the ultimate primadona headcase who likes to meltdown frequently. That said, I don?t recall him melting down this season. Has he grown out of this crazy stage ???

Wait for it........... !
Never go full Rider!