Official Game Day Thread - Ottawa at Winnipeg, July 5, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 04, 2024, 05:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 04, 2024, 06:59:12 PMLast game showed Brady can't run at will against a team keying on him, nor could Andrew Harris. It's up to the O-line to make holes for him to run through and Strev. to punish Ottawa from keying on him.
Ottawa will focus on stopping the run game and they have a solid front 7 and are capable of doing it AND pressuring Strevvy in the process.   If they manage that it will be a long day for Strevvy as we all know how important it is to establish our running game.   It always boils down to who wins the battles in the trenches and we simply are NOT as dominant this year as we were in past seasons....Calgary's D dictated what style our Offence had to play and they won the game with Demerio Houston making that OT pick after Strevvy was pressured to throw the ball or take a sack.   
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on July 05, 2024, 02:43:55 PMOttawa will focus on stopping the run game and they have a solid front 7 and are capable of doing it AND pressuring Strevvy in the process.   If they manage that it will be a long day for Strevvy as we all know how important it is to establish our running game.   It always boils down to who wins the battles in the trenches and we simply are NOT as dominant this year as we were in past seasons....Calgary's D dictated what style our Offence had to play and they won the game with Demerio Houston making that OT pick after Strevvy was pressured to throw the ball or take a sack.   

Yup. We need to find a way to back them off. Whether that's the passing game, screen plays, draws, misdirection...

Show us something Buck.
My wife is amazing!

Blitzer

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blitzer on July 05, 2024, 03:40:24 PMThe Strevolution is beginning.

Or ending. I hope he does well but I'm not confidant in him. Judgment will not be completely fair due to other problems on the team. Winning of losing is not completely within the control of just the QB.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on July 05, 2024, 02:46:01 PMYup. We need to find a way to back them off. Whether that's the passing game, screen plays, draws, misdirection...

Show us something Buck.

Question is can Strev. execute various play calls skillfully?  He's 29, the lights are on him and this is his opportunity to show the entire league if he's a capable starter or not. As a starter his running style isn't sustainable due to risk of injury, the guy has to start using his brain and not his brawn.  4 games in and the longest run he's had is 12 yds. mostly he's been held to under 4, far from busting off the 20 yard TD sprints around the end he was capable of in 2019. Defences know what he can do and are ready for him.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blitzer on July 05, 2024, 03:40:24 PMThe Strevolution is beginning.

Did Buck Pierce get the memo? His play-calling has been atrocious.

I'm hoping to tune in tonight but I'm worried about this game - and this team.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Blue In BC

Aside from winning it would be helpful if the Stamps lose to the Als tomorrow. Bombers play the Stamps next week at home so there could be a chance to move the standings.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

This game is so important for us to win to get some momentum going for us. Calgary is likely to lose against the Als, so we win today and beat the Stamps next week, the season gets inter3stimg. We lose tonight and then the hole we re in gets deeper, lose the following week and our season is done.

Tonight is an absolute must win for us

bwiser

Quote from: dd on July 05, 2024, 05:59:40 PMThis game is so important for us to win to get some momentum going for us. Calgary is likely to lose against the Als, so we win today and beat the Stamps next week, the season gets inter3stimg. We lose tonight and then the hole we re in gets deeper, lose the following week and our season is done.

Tonight is an absolute must win for us
I couldn't agree more. This is the most important regular season game the Bombers have had in years. If the Bombers can win the next two they are right back in it and can save the season. IF THEY LOSE BOTH THEY ARE DONE FOR 2024

blue_or_die

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 05, 2024, 03:48:17 PMQuestion is can Strev. execute various play calls skillfully?  He's 29, the lights are on him and this is his opportunity to show the entire league if he's a capable starter or not. As a starter his running style isn't sustainable due to risk of injury, the guy has to start using his brain and not his brawn.  4 games in and the longest run he's had is 12 yds. mostly he's been held to under 4, far from busting off the 20 yard TD sprints around the end he was capable of in 2019. Defences know what he can do and are ready for him.

To me, this is the biggest question mark of the game (along with what exactly Buck's plan will be).

Many are suggesting that we roll him out, do RPOs, etc., but is he a skilled enough passer? We know he can run track, but can he throw accurately while doing so? We haven't seen much evidence that he can pass in the pocket, and doing so on the run is significantly harder.

I'm hoping the plays called will take this into account (a screen is a nice example) where we aren't just running Strev like Tebow or asking him to play like (2021-2023) Zach but are giving him accomplishable plays that put us in a position to convert consistently and assemble drives. I'm not asking for 5 TD throws, I'm asking for drives and giving us field position.

If we can win those, we limit Ottawa's time with the ball and also have Castillo to finish things off if our second team O (now starting O) can't get it done in or near the red zone.
#Ride?

Pigskin

It's going to be a perfect night for football. 24 at kickoff, and little to no windy. Nice night for a win.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Lincoln Locomotive

Bomber fan for life

Blue In BC

Last week our secondary made 27 DT's. That's not good. Bond only had 1 so he wasn't being targeted. Alexander and Holm had 8 each.

I'd like to see our DL and LB's creating more pressure this week.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

coach17

Win the turnover battle, less mental mistakes leading to dumb penalties , control the ball (fewer 2and outs), better pressure on the opposition QB and no explosion plays. If that all happens we will win comfortably. Otherwise it will be a close game again. I have a good feeling about this game!

Jesse

My wife is amazing!