Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - May 20, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, May 19, 2024, 05:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2024, 02:53:43 PMI loved Weston Dressler when he played, but in this run-centric offence I don't think they can replace Bailey with a Dresslerish clone.  Whoever they choose must have a fair component of grit cause there will be a fair number of blocking assignments on his play sheet.
Not sure that he would replace Bailey, but he could fill in the role that McCrae and Grant played for us if he is a viable WR option also. Not sure if that's really his play-style, but that's how I could see him fitting in!

Pigskin

Wow, didn't see Lawson get hurt on Monday. Another top tier player on the 6 game. I am glad Schmekel looked pretty decent against the Riders.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Upon Further Review | Preseason #1

"...And then there was late Monday afternoon/early evening, not long after the Winnipeg Blue Bombers had fallen 25-12 to the Saskatchewan Roughriders in the first preseason game of 2024. Stuffed with bodies – the Blue Bombers travelled 79 players to Regina, almost three dozen more than usual – and with an extra row of metal chairs jammed into the centre, the space had become a claustrophobic's absolute nightmare.

In the middle of it all sat Blue Bombers running back/slotback Jonathan Rosery on one of the temporary chairs — and all the while sporting a massive first-game-as-a-pro grin.

"It was surreal," began Rosery in a chat with bluebombers.com. "I was really nervous at first, not about the playbook, but because it felt like I hadn't played football in a long time. It's weird, but that first contact felt really good. Once I got out there, and realized it's still football – yes, the guys are bigger, faster stronger – but I've been playing football for 13 years and once I calmed my mind, calmed my body, I felt good out there......."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/21/upon-further-review-preseason-1/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

We seem to be loaded at Canadian RB. BO20, JA27, Rosery, and Chris-Ike.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

bluebeard

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 22, 2024, 04:03:27 AMYup, SSK played, for 4/5ths of the game, QBs that all had many many live CFL starts.  Vs us playing raw rookie QBs for 3/4rs of the game.

Home team wants to make their home fans happy and look strong to sell those last STs.  I hope we put an effort into winning @PAS too, even though in most years we never do.  (MOS doesn't care about marketing, it appears, so WM needs to give him a shout about putting starters on to win.)

This Rider team is not the same Rider team of the past 2 seasons.  Any team that takes them lightly will be in for a big surprise.  This coaching staff is definately much better then the Dickenson one.  Also better recruiting.  They will be one tough team and by the middle of the season will be hard to beat.  I feel that we are still better but not by much. :o

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: bluebeard on May 22, 2024, 11:25:55 PMThis Rider team is not the same Rider team of the past 2 seasons.  Any team that takes them lightly will be in for a big surprise.  This coaching staff is definately much better then the Dickenson one.  Also better recruiting.  They will be one tough team and by the middle of the season will be hard to beat.  I feel that we are still better but not by much. :o
we shall see if Harris has it still let alone stays healthy another year older.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on May 22, 2024, 07:11:58 AMRosery: 5 touches 31 yards, and 1 ST.
Hubert: 2 DT.
Schmekel: 2 DT.
Murphy: 1 Tar/1 Rec. 10 yards.
Clercius: 2 Tar/ 2 Rec. 16 yards.

What about that #74 Adams(?) I think?  The guy who was making plays then had the save-fumble (not really his fault(ish)).  Was I reading that name wrong all game??  SSK radio guys couldn't figure out his name.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2024, 02:59:32 PMSask. had at least 2 rookie returners that attacked the ball well and took off at high speed, unless they're prepared to part company with Mario Alford good chance they'll cut one or both of them.  Hope Walters isn't too proud to go scrap heap'n this early in the season, because the Bomber returners looked mediocre to bleh.

I would totally look at scrap heap'n.  However, SSK clearly still does mega-cheating on ST (and got caught a lot this time, thankfully), so how much was the returner vs the cheatin' blockers?  You'd have to really study the film to determine that.

They did attack with massive speed instead of dancing and hesitating, though.  And that's always a good thing.

Hopefully Miller beats whoever remains on AR into shape before week 1.  This weak ST nonsense cannot continue in '24.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 23, 2024, 02:07:49 AMwe shall see if Harris has it still let alone stays healthy another year older.

If Trevor can stay upright, he will be good to very good.  Not great, but certainly good enough to win a lot of games if the cast is good.  Even good enough to win a post-season game.

But history has shown us he won't last all season.  Maybe the best hope for them is an early injury and he doesn't return until week 18 or so.

I'm not sold on Mace as an effective force for SSK.  He was looking scruffy on the sidelines, and looking like he's been hitting the cheeseburgers more than the weight room.  I give him a 50/50 shot at being an effective HC.  Many DCs have tried, many have failed.  (cough Claybrooks cough)

Are you guys prepared to put SSK ahead of CGY and EDM at this juncture?  EDM sounds like an easy call, but they might surprise.  CJones has to produce in year 3 or he'll be out.  But CGY doesn't often stay in the dumps for long.  Surely they have to be trying to make something happen.  In fact, all 3 teams are sort of in "meh" mode pretty much all stinking for 2-3 years, and all 3 are desperate.  What gives SSK the edge over the other 2 wannabees in your mind?
Never go full Rider!

Stats Junkie

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 23, 2024, 06:26:37 AMWhat about that #74 Adams(?) I think?  The guy who was making plays then had the save-fumble (not really his fault(ish)).  Was I reading that name wrong all game??  SSK radio guys couldn't figure out his name.
Tyler Adams was 1 of 5 Blue Bombers players who were credited with playing the game but weren't listed on the depth chart. 4 of these players were credited with at least one catch in the game.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

GCn19

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 23, 2024, 02:07:49 AMwe shall see if Harris has it still let alone stays healthy another year older.

That's just it. I don't think anyone doubts that the Riders will be competitive if Harris is healthy, but I don't think too many people have a lot of confidence that he will play out the season.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GCn19

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 23, 2024, 06:29:06 AMI would totally look at scrap heap'n.  However, SSK clearly still does mega-cheating on ST (and got caught a lot this time, thankfully), so how much was the returner vs the cheatin' blockers?  You'd have to really study the film to determine that.

They did attack with massive speed instead of dancing and hesitating, though.  And that's always a good thing.

Hopefully Miller beats whoever remains on AR into shape before week 1.  This weak ST nonsense cannot continue in '24.

It was preseason 1. We went to Regina with 100 guys, and a lot of them first year guys. Our STs were not going to look good in that game and is not any kind of indication at  all of what we might see in the regular season.

GCn19

Quote from: bluebeard on May 22, 2024, 11:25:55 PMThis Rider team is not the same Rider team of the past 2 seasons.  Any team that takes them lightly will be in for a big surprise.  This coaching staff is definately much better then the Dickenson one.  Also better recruiting.  They will be one tough team and by the middle of the season will be hard to beat.  I feel that we are still better but not by much. :o

I disagree. They trotted out their starters on offence and defence for a quarter and a half and were only able to generate 3 points and tie our 2/3/4th stringers. To me they looked poor.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 23, 2024, 06:38:17 AMIf Trevor can stay upright, he will be good to very good.  Not great, but certainly good enough to win a lot of games if the cast is good.  Even good enough to win a post-season game.

But history has shown us he won't last all season.  Maybe the best hope for them is an early injury and he doesn't return until week 18 or so.

I'm not sold on Mace as an effective force for SSK.  He was looking scruffy on the sidelines, and looking like he's been hitting the cheeseburgers more than the weight room.  I give him a 50/50 shot at being an effective HC.  Many DCs have tried, many have failed.  (cough Claybrooks cough)

Are you guys prepared to put SSK ahead of CGY and EDM at this juncture?  EDM sounds like an easy call, but they might surprise.  CJones has to produce in year 3 or he'll be out.  But CGY doesn't often stay in the dumps for long.  Surely they have to be trying to make something happen.  In fact, all 3 teams are sort of in "meh" mode pretty much all stinking for 2-3 years, and all 3 are desperate.  What gives SSK the edge over the other 2 wannabees in your mind?

I think Edmonton is going to be better than both Sask and Calgary.
My wife is amazing!

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 23, 2024, 06:38:17 AMIf Trevor can stay upright,

I'm not sold on Mace as an effective force for SSK. 

Agree to both. Mace has never been a head coach and there is usually a learning curve. And yeah, he looks a lot older than 38.

Harris is the new Buck Pierce. Sask has a chance IF he plays.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers