Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Saskatchewan - May 20, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, May 19, 2024, 05:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Stats Junkie on May 23, 2024, 06:47:23 AMTyler Adams was 1 of 5 Blue Bombers players who were credited with playing the game but weren't listed on the depth chart. 4 of these players were credited with at least one catch in the game.

Somebody isn't doing their job properly and it makes the team look sloppy in terms of handling game-day roster organization, they started slipping last season with delays in the release of the game-day roster and it looks like it's an ongoing issue that hasn't been addressed.  Hopefully it gets resolved before the first regular season game in a few weeks. 7 cases of players sharing the same number on the roster is enough to drive an announcer mad, numerous unlisted numbers, I still can't figure out which DE is #92 a week after I first noticed him on film.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2024, 02:07:32 PMSomebody isn't doing their job properly and it makes the team look sloppy in terms of handling game-day roster organization, they started slipping last season with delays in the release of the game-day roster and it looks like it's an ongoing issue that hasn't been addressed.  Hopefully it gets resolved before the first regular season game in a few weeks. 7 cases of players sharing the same number on the roster is enough to drive an announcer mad, numerous unlisted numbers, I still can't figure out which DE is #92 a week after I first noticed him on film.

#92 is Jabari Ellis.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Pigskin

Every Bomber practice they hand out a roster list. I have notice from the first practice till todays practice, some of the numbers have changed for a few players. 

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2024, 03:30:36 PMThanks, he looks very quick and mobile.

Yes, he is a guy you notice in practice also.

Note: CFL lists Kornelson at 6'3" 240, he looks a little bigger then 240.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on May 23, 2024, 03:34:36 PMYes, he is a guy you notice in practice also.

Note: CFL lists Kornelson at 6'3" 240, he looks a little bigger then 240.

Was it Kornelson or Adamson that they wanted to switch to O-line?

LXTSN

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on May 23, 2024, 01:15:53 PMI think Edmonton is going to be better than both Sask and Calgary.

I might agree with you, but that's what I said last year and I got burned badly on the pickems (and fantasy) as a result.  So this year I'll take a more cautious wait-and-see approach.  As in all things football, a lot will depend on how good the QB (MBT) looks.

If I'm a GM and I can pick between Trevor, MBT and Maier, I'm picking them in exactly that order.  So maybe that will be how the teams' seasons shake out (barring injury).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 23, 2024, 02:07:32 PMSomebody isn't doing their job properly and it makes the team look sloppy in terms of handling game-day roster organization, they started slipping last season with delays in the release of the game-day roster and it looks like it's an ongoing issue that hasn't been addressed.

The way the league and teams handle the roster releases is archaic, ad hoc, and haphazard.  It's, frankly, shameful.  There were many times last season where it was 2 hours before kickoff and the full-size "real" roster that goes on Game Tracker wasn't release yet.  But I wouldn't say WFC was one of the worst, that title falls to HAM.

24 hours before the kickoff (or the midnight before, or whatever cutoff the CFL specifies in writing) the charts should all be up on game tracker and/or a standardized page on every teams' website (most of which clearly use the same software).  And the PDFs shouldn't be hosted willy nilly on random team-specific cloudfront cloud hosting, they should all be on one server with standardized filenames instead of random digits.

e.g.
https://cfl.ca/depthcharts/2024-05-31-WPG.pdf
https://cfl.ca/depthcharts/2024-05-31-CGY.pdf

etc.

This isn't rocket science.  I can program this stuff in my sleep.  And no excuse that they are getting the charts to the league just not to the public.  It should be the same thing.  They get the chart to the league and the league makes it public, all automated, all instantaneous.

And a team that is late with their chart gets penalized financially (maybe on the SMS!!), and if they continue then they lose a DP.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 23, 2024, 11:08:30 PMThe way the league and teams handle the roster releases is archaic, ad hoc, and haphazard.  It's, frankly, shameful.  There were many times last season where it was 2 hours before kickoff and the full-size "real" roster that goes on Game Tracker wasn't release yet.  But I wouldn't say WFC was one of the worst, that title falls to HAM.

24 hours before the kickoff (or the midnight before, or whatever cutoff the CFL specifies in writing) the charts should all be up on game tracker and/or a standardized page on every teams' website (most of which clearly use the same software).  And the PDFs shouldn't be hosted willy nilly on random team-specific cloudfront cloud hosting, they should all be on one server with standardized filenames instead of random digits.

e.g.
https://cfl.ca/depthcharts/2024-05-31-WPG.pdf
https://cfl.ca/depthcharts/2024-05-31-CGY.pdf

etc.

This isn't rocket science.  I can program this stuff in my sleep.  And no excuse that they are getting the charts to the league just not to the public.  It should be the same thing.  They get the chart to the league and the league makes it public, all automated, all instantaneous.

And a team that is late with their chart gets penalized financially (maybe on the SMS!!), and if they continue then they lose a DP.

I seriously don't recall this being a problem in previous years, document management all seemed to fall apart once "Genius" became involved.

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp Day 12

"...In his first season in Winnipeg he (Jamiesen Sheahan) finished with a 46.3-yard punting average while dropping nine kicks inside the opponents' 10-yard line – tied for second most in the CFL and a remarkable number given he punted 30-40 times less than the league leaders. Sheahan is also the team's holder on placekicks. He said his goal for this season is to continue to work on the more traditional spiral punts — he has all the Aussie-style kicks already mastered — while finding more consistency.

"I have really high expectations for myself and I know I can only improve going forward," said Sheahan. "I've already seen the benefits in my football. I'm calmer and smoother and more under control. All that work in the offseason with the meditating, reading and journaling really creates a calmer mind and hopefully a better performance...."

"...and...

"...Dante Mastrogiuseppe handled all the field-goal attempts at practice with Sergio Castillo away on a personal matter. Castillo is expected to return on the weekend..."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/23/quick-hits-training-camp-day-12/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 24, 2024, 04:24:25 AM"...In his first season in Winnipeg he (Jamiesen Sheahan) finished with a 46.3-yard punting average while dropping nine kicks inside the opponents' 10-yard line – tied for second most in the CFL and a remarkable number given he punted 30-40 times less than the league leaders.

There was that one he kicked early in 2023 @IGF where it rolled (really slowly) into the cone at the EZ.  Crowd went nuts, but the in-the-know fans were groaning.  Single/rouge, boo.

Got me thinking that doing such an impossible feat should count as a coffin corner, not a rouge.  However, doing this would contradict the normal rules of the cone-is-the-EZ.  Still, would make it more exciting for fans in the 1-in-a-1000 chance they hit the cone.

I didn't think Sheahan was bad at the time last season.  And on my rewatch I'm appreciating what he brings more and more.  Clearly that's what they were thinking when they decided to stick with the "experiment" for 2024.  It's just that the one thing most expect -- a booming high-arc punt -- is mostly lacking from his repertoire.
Never go full Rider!

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 24, 2024, 06:14:37 AMThere was that one he kicked early in 2023 @IGF where it rolled (really slowly) into the cone at the EZ.  Crowd went nuts, but the in-the-know fans were groaning.  Single/rouge, boo.

Got me thinking that doing such an impossible feat should count as a coffin corner, not a rouge.  However, doing this would contradict the normal rules of the cone-is-the-EZ.  Still, would make it more exciting for fans in the 1-in-a-1000 chance they hit the cone.

I didn't think Sheahan was bad at the time last season.  And on my rewatch I'm appreciating what he brings more and more.  Clearly that's what they were thinking when they decided to stick with the "experiment" for 2024. It's just that the one thing most expect -- a booming high-arc punt -- is mostly lacking from his repertoire.

Agreed. And that's one thing that could really help out our punt coverage too. Not all 50-yard punts are the same. A little extra lift under some punts would go a really long way.