Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Just commenting on the imports at the moment.

Secondary: McGhee and Bridges seem to have the edge at making the roster. 9 other rookie import DB's not hearing much about.

DL: Garbutt, Haba and Fox are getting the most press: Rivers, D'Abreau. Ellis and Woods have had some commenting on their play.

OL: Musical chairs. No idea who will really win roster spots. One starter and 2 to PR probably. Only 7 candidates, so things are 50/50

LB's: Gemmel, Moses, Thomas and Pettishsen seem to be in a tight battle and are all making plays.

WR's: I have no idea. 11 or 12 players fighting for an AR spot, possibly a DI spot as a returner and a couple of PR players?

Question for today is which are getting most reps at the moment? Which veterans are still very limited in practice?

Always optimistic in TC. We do seem to have found some new talent. How they fit in and where is just a guessing game.

I'm not even sure if some are getting 1st reps at the moment, that it doesn't change day to day.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2024, 03:23:13 PMNew guy is going to need a nickname. I can't pronounce his name let alone spell yet. 13 letters. Viahoghiannis is another one that's a mouth full!!
Mastroguiseppe is an unreal name. I hope he doesn't get a nickname cause it's so fun to hear on the broadcast!

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2024, 03:46:18 PMOL: Musical chairs. No idea who will really win roster spots. One starter and 2 to PR probably. Only 7 candidates, so things are 50/50
players?

Huh, OL seems pretty set in stone from my perspective.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

So is it Ivy or Lofton taking over for Hardrick. Both are big men, 6'3'/6'4", around 300lbs. Ivy is 26, Lofton is 31.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on May 24, 2024, 04:39:26 PMSo is it Ivy or Lofton taking over for Hardrick. Both are big men, 6'3'/6'4", around 300lbs. Ivy is 26, Lofton is 31.

I haven't heard Ivy in the discussion at all. Lofton's been practicing with the first group since day one and played with them in the preseason game.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on May 24, 2024, 04:21:00 PMHuh, OL seems pretty set in stone from my perspective.

I'm not convinced Lofton is the answer but he might be leading at the moment. We had 5 other rookie import OL and then we brought back Randolph.

Also haven't heard whether Neufeld has returned and starting practising yet.

We didn't run at all in the 1st game, so the 2nd game might be more telling.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2024, 03:23:13 PMNew guy is going to need a nickname. I can't pronounce his name let alone spell yet. 13 letters. Viahoghiannis is another one that's a mouth full!!

Maestro and Vhog are my first thoughts...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on May 24, 2024, 04:39:26 PMSo is it Ivy or Lofton taking over for Hardrick. Both are big men, 6'3'/6'4", around 300lbs. Ivy is 26, Lofton is 31.

Okeke should get some consideration... they had him backing up at the more important LT spot... Ivy and Lofton have some CFL experience, so they might have the inside track on RT for the moment, but Okeke will at least make the PR as a development player I'd think.

The other import OL were played against the Riders at interior spots, will be interesting to see where they line up in the last preseason game.  Any comments abot where they are lining up in practice? 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

I don't have good memories of Ivy playing, he seems slow as molasses and not very mobile.

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2024, 04:58:39 PMI'm not convinced Lofton is the answer but he might be leading at the moment. We had 5 other rookie import OL and then we brought back Randolph.

True, 14 running plays is not enough. 

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2024, 04:58:39 PMI'm not convinced Lofton is the answer but he might be leading at the moment. We had 5 other rookie import OL and then we brought back Randolph.

I don't think you will see him or any of the other injured vet's until next week. And, I would be surprised if any of them  played on Friday.

BomberFan73

I also think It's Lofton's spot to lose

As far as the names, Mastroguiseppe is fun to say - have to say it in an Italian accent and wave your hand around
The Viahogianes guy sounds like a name from Game of Thrones.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on May 24, 2024, 04:08:56 PMMastroguiseppe is an unreal name. I hope he doesn't get a nickname cause it's so fun to hear on the broadcast!

Perfect name for a Super Mario character.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 24, 2024, 03:46:18 PMJust commenting on the imports at the moment.

Secondary: McGhee and Bridges seem to have the edge at making the roster. 9 other rookie import DB's not hearing much about.

DL: Garbutt, Haba and Fox are getting the most press: Rivers, D'Abreau. Ellis and Woods have had some commenting on their play.

OL: Musical chairs. No idea who will really win roster spots. One starter and 2 to PR probably. Only 7 candidates, so things are 50/50

LB's: Gemmel, Moses, Thomas and Pettishsen seem to be in a tight battle and are all making plays.

Petrishen spent 4 weeks with the Lions late last year, so he may have a leg up at LB, especially if they are looking for a future Bighill replacement.  He is the right size at 6'-1" 225 lbs and seems to be well spoken.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/24/johnny-petrishen-may-24/

If they were looking for a LB to line up behind Cole, Tre Thomas would be a versatile option for his quickness and mobility but he similar to Cole doesn't have the bulk to play MLB.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 24, 2024, 07:42:36 PMPetrishen spent 4 weeks with the Lions late last year, so he may have a leg up at LB, especially if they are looking for a future Bighill replacement.  He is the right size at 6'-1" 225 lbs and seems to be well spoken.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/24/johnny-petrishen-may-24/

If they were looking for a LB to line up behind Cole, Tre Thomas would be a versatile option for his quickness and mobility but he similar to Cole doesn't have the bulk to play MLB.

Two players that have looked good in TC. Thomas also showed well in Regina. I was surprised to see Thomas is only 4 lbs. lighter then Petrisher. Charbonneau 6'3" 225 is a guy I want to see next Friday. Big kid, with a big motor.