Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 17, 2024, 10:12:52 PMIIRC we were told that the team had no interest. That may have been an SMS issue or " fit " issue. Water under the bridge now.

It does appear that we've brought more LB's to TC this year. We will see a new starter for awhile. Whether that's a current LB and a rookie as a DI, we'll see.

In any case, we have room to replace Clements and I'd think 1 on the PR as well.

Our 1st pre-season is Monday so let's see if anyone stands out.

I see on the CFL transaction wire that Clements RETIRED from Toronto last month for some reason? Or more roster game playing as he just signed a contract there after bailing on the Bombers or they could not agree on terms.

gobombersgo

Quote from: ichabod_crane on May 19, 2024, 05:30:55 AMI see on the CFL transaction wire that Clements RETIRED from Toronto last month for some reason? Or more roster game playing as he just signed a contract there after bailing on the Bombers or they could not agree on terms.

It was only May 12th that Clements was transferred to retired so that was the start of camp.

I see absolutely no reports on-line on what's going on. Maybe he just didnt show up.

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 19, 2024, 12:31:16 AMI've been a bit busy but here's my training camp observations today:

A great day for defense or a bad day for offense. Chris Streveler really strugged throwing the ball. I counted four interceptions from him alone. Ford got one. McGee had another. I suppose it's to be expected reintegrating into a CFL offense. Mechanically he's better than when he left but there's no sugar coating how bad he was today. It was not good.

Chris Smith looked great for an import running back. Fast (which we knew) but he plays fast too. He dominated his reps in his one on ones. Two long TDs and he seemingly can really catch. If he looks like that in games he's a lock to make the team.

Ford took a ton of reps at field corner and Terrell Bonds took a ton of boundary corner snaps.

Dobson was snapping and was pretty inconsistent with it too.

Jordan Younger quite an animated coach who I think the players respond too.

Both third string hopefuls took turns making a few plays and struggling too. Terry Wilson a bit better with his legs. Barriere ran a bit too but was better from the pocket.

Thanks SBaG!
My wife is amazing!

Blueforlife

Quote from: gobombersgo on May 18, 2024, 10:54:11 PMMeh,teams cant gaurentee QBs will even stick around once they are ready to take over the starter job.

Exibit A; Dru Brown.

Most QBs dont stay with the team that developed them. Guys like Bo Levi are the exception.

Just hope the 3rd QB is serviceable and is not a liability when called upon. Next year is next year.
Disagree with most of what you have said.

BomberFan73

Quote from: Blueforlife on May 19, 2024, 01:38:59 PMDisagree with most of what you have said.

All depends on what your definition of a #2 or #3 is
Past couple seasons Dru Brown was actually the #2, and the vet shortdown guy was #3.  If Zac went down, it was Brown to take over.

This year I think we'll see Strev get a fair bit of playing time plus shortyardage.  The #3 guy will be purely developmental.

Blue In BC

For what's it's worth, Neufeld is still showing on the Bombers roster. Hopefully that does mean he'll be activated from the retired list before the end of TC.  As some have speculated this was only a roster management issue.

Are we going to get a depth chart for tomorrow's game? Preseason games and roster decisions are deceiving.

I won't be surprised to see many players that are 2nd 3rd or 4th on the depth chart playing early. The ones currently projected as the new starters may not get the bulk of the reps until the 2nd game.

So that current assumption is that Fox, Haba, Moses, McGhee, Ford are the 1st string players on defense. On offence Lofton, Case or Afful might be the leading candidates at the moment.

There are so many players on both sides of the ball fighting for some version making the roster. I think there are 13 import rookie receivers and about 10 DB's.

Probably nobody gets many reps and players will be rotating in every series.

Don't make a mistake. Make an impression.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 19, 2024, 01:59:08 PMAll depends on what your definition of a #2 or #3 is
Past couple seasons Dru Brown was actually the #2, and the vet shortdown guy was #3.  If Zac went down, it was Brown to take over.

This year I think we'll see Strev get a fair bit of playing time plus shortyardage.  The #3 guy will be purely developmental.
Agree, my disagreement was about the need to develop a 3rd stringer in the hope they stick around which is critical for our long term success.  If we can develop another QB like we did Brown there is a chance we can get a discount at the position in the future rather than having to spend big bucks on a free agent.  That said having a situation like we did with Brown repeating itself is a low chance but should be an organizational priority, imo.  I rarely think about one year; this organization's success is largely a result of continuity, strategic planning, development of a strong core and team culture.  Previous to our recent run of dominance it was revolving door of players, coaches and management.  I hope we can continue to develop our dynasty.  Patience pays off and always will.

Jesse

Quote from: Blueforlife on May 19, 2024, 05:29:58 PMAgree, my disagreement was about the need to develop a 3rd stringer in the hope they stick around which is critical for our long term success.  If we can develop another QB like we did Brown there is a chance we can get a discount at the position in the future rather than having to spend big bucks on a free agent.  That said having a situation like we did with Brown repeating itself is a low chance but should be an organizational priority, imo.  I rarely think about one year; this organization's success is largely a result of continuity, strategic planning, development of a strong core and team culture.  Previous to our recent run of dominance it was revolving door of players, coaches and management.  I hope we can continue to develop our dynasty.  Patience pays off and always will.

That would be great, but it almost never happens. Bo Levi is literally the only guy I can think of who was brought in, developed, and started by the same team.

Which is all aards was saying, I believe.
My wife is amazing!

Waffler

The situation here seems ideal for a youngster to progress from prospect to starter. Zach turns 36 before Labor Day and next year is the last of his contract. We will see when the day comes I suppose but it IS coming.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Pigskin

DT. confirming today that Neufled will be back.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on May 20, 2024, 07:20:54 PMDT. confirming today that Neufled will be back.

Will he be back to start for game 1? Some reports that he has an injury but no details of how serious. Ditto for Eli.

That gives Wallace a chance to show his stuff today. Not sure what to expect from the other rookie Canadian OL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 20, 2024, 07:47:58 PMWill he be back to start for game 1? Some reports that he has an injury but no details of how serious. Ditto for Eli.

That gives Wallace a chance to show his stuff today. Not sure what to expect from the other rookie Canadian OL.

I'm sure you know better than to ask.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Looks like cooler, wet weather all week.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Bombers re-signed OL K. Randolph. They also transferred Castillo to League Suspension.

Obviously some sort of paper shuffle to get him back on the roster. It a curious loophole in roster management.

Rhetorical question / comment:  There doesn't seem to be a 1 game IR option being used with TC injuries. All across the league players are being added to the 6 game IR.

My understanding is that these players are ineligible to play in the 1st game of the season. We aren't really hearing about the extent of any injury to any player as we did in previous seasons. It's easy to understand an achilles injury leading to a 6 game IR.

At the moment Winnipeg has Bighill, Hallett, Parker and now Lawson moved to 6 game IR. Zilch information aside from that.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

DCM

Quote@Darren_Cameron
Sergio has temporarily returned home for a personal matter.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here