Our Free Agent's Signings Are in Limbo Until Brady & Dalton Make Their Moves

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, January 11, 2024, 08:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 31, 2024, 08:04:18 AMPoo!  Maybe MTL made the move to block us from having a viable NAT alternative??  They don't use him too much.  He always dresses but he's basically their Johnny.  Doesn't see many snaps except as a speller.

Wow, MTL has been getting a lot more accomplished in FA than we have.  It feels weird to be behind the 8 ball in re-signings.  We're usually so good.

Is it just me, or is this Waiting For Brady starting to be a bit of a bummer?
Ahh....yeah.
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

This!

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/31/canadian-brady-oliveira-american-a-j-ouellette-can-reset-respective-cfl-rb-markets/

Perhaps there are teams that need a ratio breaker like Brady and are willing to pay him?   

It would be a new trend in the CFL if he manages to do this.  I sort of hear what Andrew Harris is saying, however establishing new trends in sports when it comes to salaries is easier said than done.
Bomber fan for life

Pete

I would bet riders go after Olivera, if only to not have a bomber back run all over them as Olivera and Harris have done in recent years

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on February 01, 2024, 01:01:36 AMLooks like we've resigned both Nick and Noah Hallet. Good to see! Nick did a great job for us last year both on st and back up safety

Yes, sounds like Nick for 2 years and Noah for one year.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Lincoln Locomotive

Looks like Stanton could be available for a bit of a deal.....he's still has a lot of juice and he's still has plenty of speed.    He would likely thrive behind our O-line if Brady jumps ship.    Always liked him despite his injuries.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/i-didnt-feel-a-part-of-the-plans-stanback-says-about-leaving-alouettes
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 01, 2024, 06:20:30 AMLooks like Stanton could be available for a bit of a deal.....he's still has a lot of juice and he's still has plenty of speed.    He would likely thrive behind our O-line if Brady jumps ship.    Always liked him despite his injuries.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/football/cfl/montreal-alouettes/i-didnt-feel-a-part-of-the-plans-stanback-says-about-leaving-alouettes

I definitely do not want to sign an older, injury plagued RB. I think, as a team, we're trying to get younger at a few spots. RB is not the position to go older.
My wife is amazing!

Waffler

No to a vet. We brought in some American RB's that have looked pretty good in camp but what chance have they had with us guaranteed to go Canadian at that spot? I am confident they can bring in one or two guys with talent at a cheaper price if it comes to that.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Good. We've re-signed both Nick and Noah Hallett. Along with several other Canadian DB's on the roster, our depth there is good. It might mean that we don't bring back Exume and essentially replace him with Noah Hallett.

Exume is not a bad ST player but I'm thinking we may see more of Kelly in 2024. Depending on how the roster breaks down I'm thinking if Noah stays healthy this is a make or break season to win an AR spot.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 01, 2024, 01:05:15 PMGood. We've re-signed both Nick and Noah Hallett. Along with several other Canadian DB's on the roster, our depth there is good. It might mean that we don't bring back Exume and essentially replace him with Noah Hallett.

Exume is not a bad ST player but I'm thinking we may see more of Kelly in 2024. Depending on how the roster breaks down I'm thinking if Noah stays healthy this is a make or break season to win an AR spot.

Unless Exume does not like being in Wpg. I see no reason not to bring him back, he is "not a bad" ST player, he a great ST player and he has the potential to contribute to the secondary if given the opportunity. There are older ST players that need to be kicked out of the barn first. Doesn't have anything to do with the Hallett bros. they are all part of the young ST core that will lead the team in the future.

theaardvark

We will probably sign Brady, I don't think anyone is going to "redefine the market for RB's" this year, and he's smart enough to know where he has it best, so we can compete in the market. 

The tampering window does make for a new level of intrigue, whereas before you could fire off a salvo of offers the minute FA season opens, now, all that negotiation will take place over a week, and only a few first offer/best offer situations will exist. 

Brady might be one of them, with teams throwing a big number at him with a limited timeframe so they can go to plan B, but still, I think he will get a good idea what his demand level is, and probably sign before FA opens.  At least I hope so, because then we know what we need to do, and our budget for minute 1 of free agency.

As to redefining the pay structure, the argument that WR's get 4-5 touches a game, whereas RB's get 20 is kinda specious, more WR have 100 yard games than RB's... and a lot of RB's spend a lot of time in the tub.  And its easier to have a 5th rec. NAT with a low drop off backup than a #1 RB NAT,so ratio wise, you better have a good NAT RB backup if you are using that as a ratio spot.  And that costs on top of the NAT RB.  Brady's NAT status was superfluous in our ratio count, and JA27 was a decent NAT RB backup that played teams, but we could have as easily used McCrea s backup and not suffered ratio-wise.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 01, 2024, 03:17:31 PMUnless Exume does not like being in Wpg. I see no reason not to bring him back, he is "not a bad" ST player, he a great ST player and he has the potential to contribute to the secondary if given the opportunity. There are older ST players that need to be kicked out of the barn first. Doesn't have anything to do with the Hallet bros. they are all part of the young ST core that will lead the team in the future.

Not exactly. We don't tend to keep too many Canadian DB's on the AR. Noah Hallett would in theory be a +1. Tyrell Ford could be a +2 to find a spot for.

10 draft choices this year.

I agree that some of the other Canadian depth will not be re-signed but that probably falls at the LB position.

It hasn't seemed that Exume will progress past an ST player and considering how poorly our ST performed in 2023, I don't know he is part of the future.  On one hand he had 17 ST's in 14 games. On the other hand returners were always making longer returns than they should have. Part of that falls on him but the entire return team players.  We'll see but IMO he'll have a tough time making the AR and I'm not convinced he's re-signed.

The other issue will be a need to shed some SMS and that will come at the cost of 2 - 4 year back up players.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Stats Junkie

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 01, 2024, 06:20:30 AMLooks like Stanton could be available for a bit of a deal.....he's still has a lot of juice and he's still has plenty of speed.    He would likely thrive behind our O-line if Brady jumps ship.    Always liked him despite his injuries.

Stanback had a handful of drives where he dominated. Each time, he pulled himself from the field as the Alouettes got into the red zone. I question whether he has the endurance to be an every down RB in this league.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Stats Junkie on February 02, 2024, 10:08:29 PMStanback had a handful of drives where he dominated. Each time, he pulled himself from the field as the Alouettes got into the red zone. I question whether he has the endurance to be an every down RB in this league.
I also have some reservations about his durability....his running is what I love and he also has good speed for a bigger back.....something that Brady is lacking somewhat and likely why the NFL wasn't that keen on.   Speed is something you either have or you don't....unless of course you're going to shed a significant amount of bulk which then impacts your power game.
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on February 03, 2024, 02:46:42 AMI also have some reservations about his durability....his running is what I love and he also has good speed for a bigger back.....something that Brady is lacking somewhat and likely why the NFL wasn't that keen on.   Speed is something you either have or you don't....unless of course you're going to shed a significant amount of bulk which then impacts your power game.

Funny, that's exactly what Stanback did prior to last season, decided to shed bulk to improve speed. Not sure he's much faster than Brady, both have adequate speed for bruising backs similar to Andrew Harris.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 03, 2024, 05:14:58 AMFunny, that's exactly what Stanback did prior to last season, decided to shed bulk to improve speed. Not sure he's much faster than Brady, both have adequate speed for bruising backs similar to Andrew Harris.
On his 32 yard romp for a TD in the GC game he displayed some good speed....for a power back. 
Bomber fan for life