2024 Pre-Draft Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, February 22, 2024, 01:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Jesse on February 23, 2024, 01:59:09 AMI'm always of the opinion that you draft the best players, not pigeon-hole yourself into drafting certain positions.

What happens if you have a defensive back rated one spot higher at the time of your pick?  The next guy below him is a defensive linemen.  How much diffrence is their between two guys, who play two diffrent positions?

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 22, 2024, 07:18:31 PMFor me, if Gray is gone, then I'm doing OL OL OL OL OL OL.  FB is a must.  WR would be nice for depth if BOO is gone.  LB/DB is merely for depth/ST.

Why do you want a NAT DE?  For rotation a la Kongbo?  I was never sold on the idea, and Kongbo is sitting there unsigned.

If we can score some OL/FB that can start in year 1 or 2, that would be great.  A star starting WR might be useful if our Bailey-replacement IMP ELCs come up short.

So, because they're Canadian they can't rotate at defensive end.

Robbie Smith
Issac Adeyemi-Bergland
Mason Bennett
Montreal's first pick last year
Betts and Menard
Noah Curtis
Kene Onyeka

Jesse

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on February 24, 2024, 01:21:18 PMWhat happens if you have a defensive back rated one spot higher at the time of your pick?  The next guy below him is a defensive linemen.  How much diffrence is their between two guys, who play two diffrent positions?

I don't think you have a list of guys like that.

You have guys in tiers. Then if there's a position advantage between two guys in the same tier, you can make that decision.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on February 24, 2024, 01:21:18 PMWhat happens if you have a defensive back rated one spot higher at the time of your pick?  The next guy below him is a defensive linemen.  How much diffrence is their between two guys, who play two diffrent positions?

There always has to be some consideration to the need at a given position both currently and in the pipeline. It's not going to be a black and white decision every time.

There is merit in taking the best player available but every draft we see some surprises as the draft progresses.

Different teams rank choices higher than lower than other teams. Reasons are not entirely clear. Connections to a given city or other possible team mates come into play. Live interviews and how a choice fits into the culture.

Anyway. IMO we have to give some thought as to what our specific needs are on the defensive side of the ball. That's the need for DL players more so than DB's or LB's.

All these decisions can change before and during the draft. We may acquire current free agents like Kongbo or we may make trades changing the direction of needs.

We're just observers and don't have the information that coaches have about the skill sets etc of all the draft choices. We don't have the insight on how they perceive the current back ups taking on bigger roles in 2024.

Obviously, most teams will draft OL early and often because that is where teams will start 3 or 4 and most have long development curves.

After the 1st couple of rounds, it gets harder for fans to anticipate what will happen.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

I think a lot of the decision making process happens in the draft interview.  This team looks for talent, sure, but also looks for personality types. 

I think we may see one or more "surprise" picks, as well as some drafting of NFL bound players... 10 picks is a lot for a team already filled with Nats
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

Any chance we trade a top pick? We are in win now mode and occasionally a team will pay a good price to move up.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Jesse

Quote from: Waffler on February 24, 2024, 11:26:45 PMAny chance we trade a top pick? We are in win now mode and occasionally a team will pay a good price to move up.

No, we need our draft picks to restock the shelf. And what are we going to trade for? We know we don't have the cap room to add contracts.
My wife is amazing!

ModAdmin

While we have changes to make on offence, it seems to me the key holes in our defence that need to be filled are the most important areas to address.  That is replacing Houston, Jefferson and Walker and possibly Holm.  All were key players in our D and represent a third of our staring defence.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 25, 2024, 04:56:00 AMWhile we have changes to make on offence, it seems to me the key holes in our defence that need to be filled are the most important areas to address.  That is replacing Houston, Jefferson and Walker and possibly Holm.  All were key players in our D and represent a third of our staring defence.

As far as I know Holm did not receive a contract offer from the NFL before the deadline, so he doesn't have much choice not to come back unless he decides to sit out instead.

Pete

We have 2 ,2nd round picks it may be an opportunity to trade one to move up higher in draft to get a player we really want

LXTSN

If we get one of those 2 OL that you guys have been talking about, I'll be super happy with the draft!
Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing some mock drafts. It's really hard to scout out for the CFL draft in my opinion.

Pigskin

NFL combine on right now. A few of the top 20 prospects in the CFL draft are participating.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.