2024 Pre-Draft Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, February 22, 2024, 01:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

April 30 – 2024 CFL Draft and CFL Global Draft

The top Global and National prospects will be selected by CFL clubs.
    CFL Global Draft: 11 a.m. ET
    CFL Draft: 8 p.m. ET

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

Blue Bomber draft pick order (as of February 22nd)...

Round   Pick    

1        8             
      2      17             
      2      20             
      3      28             
     4      37             
     5      40             
     5      46             
     6      55             
     7      64             
     8      73
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

ModAdmin

@FarhanLaljiTSN
.@BCLions
 & @Wpg_BlueBombers
 finished 1st & 2nd respectively for number of O & D snaps played by 🇨🇦s. As a result they'll receive bonus picks in this year's @CFL
 draft. BC will pick 19 & Wpg 20. @CFLonTSN
This replaces the territorial picks the league used to give at 19-20 for the bottom 2 teams in the league.

Blue In BC

IIRC, this was supposed to be a good draft class this year?  10 picks is a lot so we might take a flyer in later rounds that might have ideas of the NFL.

Are there any good kickers or punters that might be of interest?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

About 10 OLs in the top 20 prospects. A very good DE and LB.  With Gray out of the picture, I can see us taking an OL at #8.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Yeah, it makes sense to draft at last 1 OL in the early rounds. Perhaps even 2 if one has another year of eligibility.

The team is a little light on the DL for Canadians so I'd expect to use a pick, at perhaps # 28 or even # 20 if a good one is available.

I think we have some good NI depth at DB and LB as some of the 2nd year players may make more of a statement to find a bigger role. Ford returning and even Noah Hallett ( if healthy ) improve that overall depth. I'd be ok with shedding some of the picks in rounds 4 & 5 if we find that kind of option.

Overall we're in a better position then some teams on our roster .  Maybe there is an opportunity to trade up in the 1st 3 rounds if we see a chance to draft someone we really want.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Order of Bomber Needs

OL
DL (more so DEs)
WR
RB (especially FBs)
LB
DB

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 22, 2024, 01:12:11 AM@FarhanLaljiTSN
.@BCLions
 & @Wpg_BlueBombers
 finished 1st & 2nd respectively
for number of O & D snaps played by 🇨🇦s. As a result they'll receive bonus picks in this year's @CFL
 draft. BC will pick 19 & Wpg 20. @CFLonTSN

How on earth weren't we #1 for the 23-snaps rule?  Did anyone publish the actual numbers?  What, we were 1 snap and BC managed 0?  It's all so lame.

Oh well, maybe we'll score someone great in that extra round.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on February 22, 2024, 02:41:00 PMOrder of Bomber Needs

OL
DL (more so DEs)
WR
RB (especially FBs)
LB
DB

For me, if Gray is gone, then I'm doing OL OL OL OL OL OL.  FB is a must.  WR would be nice for depth if BOO is gone.  LB/DB is merely for depth/ST.

Why do you want a NAT DE?  For rotation a la Kongbo?  I was never sold on the idea, and Kongbo is sitting there unsigned.

If we can score some OL/FB that can start in year 1 or 2, that would be great.  A star starting WR might be useful if our Bailey-replacement IMP ELCs come up short.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

With a little luck, Giovanni Manu, 6"8" 340lb, LT or Daniel Johnson 6'6" 320lb, LT will fall into our lap. or we trade up to get one of these guys. Manu is a beast of a man, and has a nasty side to him. Said to be CFL ready.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 22, 2024, 07:18:31 PMFor me, if Gray is gone, then I'm doing OL OL OL OL OL OL.  FB is a must.  WR would be nice for depth if BOO is gone.  LB/DB is merely for depth/ST.

Why do you want a NAT DE?  For rotation a la Kongbo?  I was never sold on the idea, and Kongbo is sitting there unsigned.

If we can score some OL/FB that can start in year 1 or 2, that would be great.  A star starting WR might be useful if our Bailey-replacement IMP ELCs come up short.

Nat DE to rotate with Bennett...

Not sure the FB insistence, FB is basically never used, and can be anyone between a WR/SB and a LB/DE and be designated FB, like Jackson last year. 

There will be a few OL taken early, and other than that, best player available.  We have lots of Canadian depth ,even with the players that have moved on.  So we should take the best players, regardless their position.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

I'm always of the opinion that you draft the best players, not pigeon-hole yourself into drafting certain positions.
My wife is amazing!

Blueforlife

Quote from: Jesse on February 23, 2024, 01:59:09 AMI'm always of the opinion that you draft the best players, not pigeon-hole yourself into drafting certain positions.
Agree other than OL

theaardvark

Quote from: Blueforlife on February 23, 2024, 02:31:37 AMAgree other than OL

SO, draft priority:

Pick 1 - Best OL
Pick 2 - Best player (even if it is OL)
Pick 3 - see above
Pick 4-10 - see above
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 22, 2024, 07:15:28 PMHow on earth weren't we #1 for the 23-snaps rule?  Did anyone publish the actual numbers?  What, we were 1 snap and BC managed 0?  It's all so lame.

Oh well, maybe we'll score someone great in that extra round.

It says we finished first on offense which I expected and makes sense but second on defense. I actually am a bit surprised it was that high on that side of the ball. We rely pretty heavily on Americans on D... but I guess so does everyone else, apparently.