Rider at Blue Bombers pre game thread

Started by GOLDMEMBER, September 25, 2022, 11:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

On my rewatch of the last game it seems clear our whole DL is weak this year.  I'm not sure you can pin it on one player.  However, others are right that we're not getting what we need out of the DTs.  They are awful at shedding blocks to make plays in the hole.  They are only shedding after the rusher has gone by and then trying to tackle from behind; or worse, playing catchup.

You can't just blame JT.  It's them all.  The DEs too.  And the LBers often stuff the wrong hole and get held and are even worse at shedding the blocks.  That's all the LBs, including Biggie and Rutledge and the NATs.

It's basically how HAM sealed the deal in the last game.  They just ran it down our throats like Powell used to for SSK in '18.  It was actually embarrassing, as that's our game-closing M.O. when we had Harris!!

Add to that the fact that Evans either threw the instant timing route negating our DEs, or they had enough blockers and we schemed poorly so he had all day for the long-developing routes.  Embarrassing.

As others have said, we need more beef in the DT and more rotation to stay fresh.  If that means finding a new Stove or Nevis, so be it.  We need to dress more DL and everyone needs to try harder.

Oh ya, and our blitzes were crap.  They never hit home.  Whether Biggie, Rutledge or a DB, they always got stuffed.  Badly.  This seems to be our new 2022 M.O.: useless blitzing.  Other teams get the blitz through to Zach, why can't we?  Embarrassing.

Good thing 2022 is the "year of our O", because we're gonna need it down the stretch.  Don't get me wrong, our D is still good, even though this all sounds very negative.  It's just that we don't seem to be improving into these last games like we should.  They all need to get very serious, and fast, if we want to win playoff games.  Lucky for us, other teams aren't too hot this year either, and they all have their own troubles.
Never go full Rider!

BLUEBOMBER

I am not worried yet.. but it's getting a bit concerning...

GOLDMEMBER

The Rider game will be very telling after the bye. More of the same against the bush whackers  then yes we have big concerns with this DL group
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

DM83

Techno,

Your post hit  the nail on the head.

My co-horts offered up the idea, our boys are older, and eventually, they hit the wall. I too, have pitied our blitzes, and the DE's kind of suck Willie seems to be going through the motions and seems to think he doesnt have to attempt to rush sometimes.

We also have not replaced the injured, or guys that left.

Although you have not directly said it, I see for the firs time? this season, you are expressing concerns of a serious nature.  Some posters, may say all will be fine, but based on the lack of play making....... our defence sucks.  You are right, If I am Sask I am running the entire game.  The front seven have been  on a downword slide for a few games now.  Point being we are not going to win a play-off game with this shoddy performance.

Blue In BC

Riders have lost Hickson for the season so their running game won't be very good. I see they cut Keion Adams one of their DE's. He had 17 DT's in 7 games and might be worth a look as a dpeth guy and / or depending if Jeffocoat is out for any length of time. He's had 16 CFL games under his belt and 26 DT's overall.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Pretty much agree with Techno on just about all points made in his last post.    Our takeaways are lacking this season as well where we used to make a few a game.   This season not so much and our front four hasn't been nearly as effective without Nevis or Stove in the middle on rotation.   The Riders lost both their RBs which means they will have to run with a new back...however our run defence could make a new star out of whoever replaces Hickson....who had great success against us.    
Luckily our O and not our D has been the difference this year and even in defeat against the Cats the O scored enough points to win most games.  
Hoping we get Elingson back and that Janarion Grant gets back up to speed.   He has been a non-factor in his first couple of games back.  It helps when we can flip the field or score off of our special teams which haven't been that special with all the injuries we've sustained.    Fact is most teams are losing key players as well....especially in the West....
We really need a win after the bye and after that arse-whipping we were handed by Hamilton.    
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Derek Taylor

No Stanley Bryant for a second straight day (ankle).

Geoff Gray continues at LT. Interesting to see how they?ll use Couture/Kolankowski if Bryant can?t go.

This is a Tweet

ALSO

Spotted WR Carlton Agudosi no longer wearing a walking boot. No idea what a timetable for him would be, but it?s progress.

(He implied he was done for the year at the time of the injury)

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 27, 2022, 05:17:12 PM
Derek Taylor

No Stanley Bryant for a second straight day (ankle).

Geoff Gray continues at LT. Interesting to see how they?ll use Couture/Kolankowski if Bryant can?t go.

This is a Tweet

ALSO

Spotted WR Carlton Agudosi no longer wearing a walking boot. No idea what a timetable for him would be, but it?s progress.

(He implied he was done for the year at the time of the injury)

Interesting. I think Bryant can use the vet day and this may be nothing more than that. However it may mean a game off.

If he doesn't play I would have thought Hardrick would move to LT and Neufeld to RT with Couture at RG. Although 1 change is better than 3 changes on the OL. All of that is if Gray can play well at LT and not get Collaros injured. Hence the idea of Hardrick taking his spot.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 27, 2022, 05:44:41 PM
Interesting. I think Bryant can use the vet day and this may be nothing more than that. However it may mean a game off.

If he doesn't play I would have thought Hardrick would move to LT and Neufeld to RT with Couture at RG. Although 1 change is better than 3 changes on the OL. All of that is if Gray can play well at LT and not get Collaros injured. Hence the idea of Hardrick taking his spot.

Gray has subbed in for Bryant at LT at least 3 times including almost an entire game replacing Richmond late last season against the Stamps, he's looked great in that time and did not allow any sacks.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 27, 2022, 06:10:10 PM
Gray has subbed in for Bryant at LT at least 3 times including almost an entire game replacing Richmond late last season against the Stamps, he's looked great in that time and did not allow any sacks.

Richmond started 1 game when we activated all those PR players after locking up 1st place. He got hurt and Gray as our 6th OL took over at LT as an in game replacement.

I don't know that indicates he was or should be the best option at LT.

We have 4 import OL on the PR and IIRC Richmond was possibly due to start practising this week. In theory we'd still have roster space to activate another import as depth at worst.

One change starting as opposed to two on the OL seems a better option.

If these imports and the global aren't capable why are they still here?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

If Richmond is still on the 6 game, 14 games into the season I can't see him in the lineup this year. We have some good young American talent on our roster including Muljo (24) who is 6'6" 314 and played LT in college. Lofton (29) who has some CFL experience 6'4" 293. Fornadel (23) 6'5" 314, Witt (24) 6'2" 305, was a very good OL in college.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 27, 2022, 05:44:41 PM

I expect Bryant to play - but if he didn't, I very much expect a 1 for 1 replacement. I really don't think they would make that many moves on the OL. It would screw everything up and also go against the team's "everyone is a starter" mantra.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 27, 2022, 07:29:20 PM
If Richmond is still on the 6 game, 14 games into the season I can't see him in the lineup this year. We have some good young American talent on our roster including Muljo (24) who is 6'6" 314 and played LT in college. Lofton (29) who has some CFL experience 6'4" 293. Fornadel (23) 6'5" 314, Witt (24) 6'2" 305, was a very good OL in college.

Alexander missed 13 games and he was back last week. So that's not really a deciding factor that he's been out that long. The difference is that Alexander was a starter and Richmond was depth previously.

The imports on the PR might have some talent but it's a bit early to say they are " good, bad or average ".  Lofton has been here the longest and does have some CFL experience.

I would think each of the imports is projected primarily at one spot on the OL. Which is 1st projected as " next man up " at LT I don't know. Obviously each may have some experience at multiple positions but where has their primary experience been.

In 2021 Richmond is the survivor ( sort of ) from the PR and did get activated to play LT. Is he close to healthy and would he be better than the other OL?  The other OL have been here and probably had some more recent practice time.

So if Bryant isn't playing this week, we'll see what change they make.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 27, 2022, 07:45:40 PM
Alexander missed 13 games and he was back last week. So that's not really a deciding factor that he's been out that long. The difference is that Alexander was a starter and Richmond was depth previously.

The imports on the PR might have some talent but it's a bit early to say they are " good, bad or average ".  Lofton has been here the longest and does have some CFL experience.

I would think each of the imports is projected primarily at one spot on the OL. Which is 1st projected as " next man up " at LT I don't know. Obviously each may have some experience at multiple positions but where has their primary experience been.

In 2021 Richmond is the survivor ( sort of ) from the PR and did get activated to play LT. Is he close to healthy and would he be better than the other OL?  The other OL have been here and probably had some more recent practice time.

So if Bryant isn't playing this week, we'll see what change they make.

Richmond hasn't practiced yet this year, so he's not going to be replacing SB66 if he is out for this game.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.