OLine solutions...

Started by TecnoGenius, February 09, 2024, 05:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 15, 2024, 03:01:43 AMNot week 1 we won't.  That line-up would be extremely shaky, and it leaves no one proven capable as our 6th OL for jumbo (which we use all the time now).

I would say at the bare minimum we must have Gray, and either Gray/Neuf are RT... or we magically pull a serviceable IMP RT out of thin air (Ivy or otherwise).

If we are starting both Eli/Dobson in the 5, then we have big problems.  Eli is better as 6th; and the backup, dressed C.

I think you're severely over estimating the OL talent across the league.

I do not see us moving Neuf to RT. Dobson/Eli will fight it out for the guard spot and the other will continue to be #6. We can find a tackle and still field an excellent OL in week 1.
My wife is amazing!

LXTSN

I would prefer to see how Vanderpool and Ivey handle training camp.
Worst case scenario would be moving Neufeld to RT, but I think we find a better option there

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on February 15, 2024, 12:12:11 PMI think you're severely over estimating the OL talent across the league.

I do not see us moving Neuf to RT. Dobson/Eli will fight it out for the guard spot and the other will continue to be #6. We can find a tackle and still field an excellent OL in week 1.

*IF* we have to start the season with Neufeld at RT, it will not be a catastrophe.  We could even DI Vanterpool or Ivy (no E) as they get up to speed, and then move Neuf inside as one of them is ready. 

Ideally, we replace Hardrick with a new American RT in camp, and have Eli/Dobson fight for Gray's job. 

With only 2 rostered right now, I'm hoping the scouts bring a few more in.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2024, 03:41:44 PM*IF* we have to start the season with Neufeld at RT, it will not be a catastrophe.  We could even DI Vanterpool or Ivy (no E) as they get up to speed, and then move Neuf inside as one of them is ready. 

Ideally, we replace Hardrick with a new American RT in camp, and have Eli/Dobson fight for Gray's job. 

People do forget that Neufeld spent his first couple of years in the league at tackle.

Pete

WHAT I would like to see is us draft a Canadian tightend. The cdn fb position is becoming antiquated, teams are putting more additional lineman in up front, and much like we used Jackson,  a tightend with good blocking skills can also provide more reception opportunities. There's a reason te's are so important in the nfl. this would give the oline more support without losing an offensive threat. I wouldn't be adverse to even replacing Bailey with an import te.
Was there even one fb last year that even approached 100 yrds total for the season?

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2024, 03:41:44 PM*IF* we have to start the season with Neufeld at RT, it will not be a catastrophe. 

It is the last thing I would do.

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on February 15, 2024, 03:58:40 PMPeople do forget that Neufeld spent his first couple of years in the league at tackle.

I haven't forgotten, he just wasn't very good until he was moved to guard. Moving him from a spot where he has been successful is a great way to make two spots worse, instead of just one.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on February 15, 2024, 05:06:38 PMIt is the last thing I would do.

I haven't forgotten, he just wasn't very good until he was moved to guard. Moving him from a spot where he has been successful is a great way to make two spots worse, instead of just one.

Neufeld *CAN* play RT, we used him for that purpose over Gray last year. It is not optimal, it is contingency.  If we can't get an American RT up to speed, Neufeld knows how to play the spot, and Eli/Dobson can play inside.

Optimally, we have a new RT, and Eli/Dobson fight for Gray's spot.  But if that is not the case week 1, we have a viable option.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

KINGCHARLES

I'm going to put all my faith into a few people here. The Canadian Mafia and Marty Costello, Coach Costello is entering his 9th season as an OL coach here and his 7th as the main OL coach. We've consistently been a top 3 offence in the league for the last 5 seasons and a lot of that credit can go to the play of the offensive line. The last 2 seasons we've allowed the 2nd fewest amount of sacks in the CFL.
Eli and Dobson were drafted with the intent on being groomed into starting roles and I think the Mafia wants to give them those opportunities this season. They will obviously also be looking at drafting 1-2 OL in this years draft with the full mentality of grooming and developing for the future.
This offseason was an inevitable offseason for the Bombers, we needed to have change and some of that had to happen on the OL. I believe 3 of the last 5 seasons we  have lost at least 1 starting OL to the salary cap. This is what will continue to happen with aging vets and dominating teams.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Pigskin

At #8 there should be a couple of very good OLs. Daniel Johnson, 6'5" 320  LT Purdue, and Giovanni Manu 6'8" 350 LT UBC.
Manu is said to be CFL ready.

There is a very good TE in the top 20. Tanner McLachlan 6'5" 245, but he looks like a guy NHL teams will go after.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on February 15, 2024, 03:41:44 PM*IF* we have to start the season with Neufeld at RT, it will not be a catastrophe.  We could even DI Vanterpool or Ivy (no E) as they get up to speed, and then move Neuf inside as one of them is ready. 

Bombers A-1 O-line gave up 4 sacks to the Als in the Grey Cup no less, throw in a rookie OT against a vet. squad and they will feast. O-line is only as strong as it's weakest link.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Pigskin on February 15, 2024, 05:40:53 PMAt #8 there should be a couple of very good OLs. Daniel Johnson, 6'5" 320  LT Purdue, and Giovanni Manu 6'8" 350 LT UBC.
Manu is said to be CFL ready.

There is a very good TE in the top 20. Tanner McLachlan 6'5" 245, but he looks like a guy NHL teams will go after.

That should be great if the Bomber's get either of those tackles, even Manu's team mate. The guy could fall do to nfl interest.

Pigskin

Quote from: CrazyCanuck89 on February 15, 2024, 08:20:18 PMThat should be great if the Bomber's get either of those tackles, even Manu's team mate. The guy could fall do to nfl interest.

Theo Benedet, is going to go in the top 3. However I think he will get lots of attention from the NFL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

But when's the last time we started week 1 with a rookie ELC IMP OL OT?  Never?  Not since I've been paying attention.  Heck, our OL success run with Yoshi/Stan was literally built on sniping established tackles from other teams.

Why all of a sudden do we think that either a) import rookie Jesus shows up TC and can start week 1, or b) one of our own existing "dev" IMP OT will be good enough?  That would be relying on something the Mafia has literally never done before.

I think (a) is a pipe dream, foggettaboutit.  (b) Is more to our MO (at other positions), but is still a moonshot.

Maybe we still snipe an existing, established FA.  So many out there, some may take peanuts to keep working, and play for the best, GC-bound team.  If I had to place bets, this would be my bet.

If come week 1 it's Neufeld @ RT, then we know we were in "no other options" mode.  Maybe he'll rise to the challenge, who knows.  He wasn't bad when there; just not Yoshi level.  I'd say Neuf @ RT is at least as good as Rice.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on February 15, 2024, 04:40:33 PMWHAT I would like to see is us draft a Canadian tightend. The cdn fb position is becoming antiquated, teams are putting more additional lineman in up front, and much like we used Jackson,  a tightend with good blocking skills can also provide more reception opportunities. There's a reason te's are so important in the nfl. this would give the oline more support without losing an offensive threat. I wouldn't be adverse to even replacing Bailey with an import te.
Was there even one fb last year that even approached 100 yrds total for the season?

Yes, that appears to be the need for this draft.  TE/FB, unless we find a FA castoff NAT who will work for near-ELC...

I can't think of a FB who got 100, but maybe one of those teams that throws the trick play to the FB/TE more often than usual?  Who was that the last couple of years: BC, MTL?  Don't remember.  That play seemed to disappear in 2023, but was more common 2021-22?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 15, 2024, 05:19:40 PMI'm going to put all my faith into a few people here. The Canadian Mafia and Marty Costello, Coach Costello is entering his 9th season as an OL coach here and his 7th as the main OL coach. We've consistently been a top 3 offence in the league for the last 5 seasons and a lot of that credit can go to the play of the offensive line. The last 2 seasons we've allowed the 2nd fewest amount of sacks in the CFL.
Eli and Dobson were drafted with the intent on being groomed into starting roles and I think the Mafia wants to give them those opportunities this season. They will obviously also be looking at drafting 1-2 OL in this years draft with the full mentality of grooming and developing for the future.
This offseason was an inevitable offseason for the Bombers, we needed to have change and some of that had to happen on the OL. I believe 3 of the last 5 seasons we  have lost at least 1 starting OL to the salary cap. This is what will continue to happen with aging vets and dominating teams.

Yes, every year it seemed we were losing 1-2 NAT OL to cap and retirement.  But usually not 2 starters.  Losing both Yoshi and Gray in one swoop is a big hit to deal with, and may not have been expected by KW... unless he wanted Gray out knowing either Dobson/Eli was better.

If we must start both Eli and Dobson, then we'll 100% need to draft probably 2 OL and one would immediately be dressing for games to be the 6th.  This is not an ideal situation, and we usually don't do that (Gray, Desjar, Chungh are exceptions).

We always keep 2(+) NAT OL in the dev hopper.  Would have to restock the shelves.  If we move to a NAT RT solution then we'll require even more OL DP and even more kept in the hopper.  I hope the money we saved losing Yoshi is worth it all!!

Your post was really good, and I agree with it all.  I think we have faith Dobson/Eli can both start (though not ideal, nor desired).  It was a darn prudent move to bring back outcast Eli when we did, and probably on a $friendly$ contract.  Those who said nay need to thank their lucky stars Mafia disagreed.
Never go full Rider!