We need a Pass rush !!

Started by Austin85, August 19, 2023, 04:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin85

No Pass rush it's been a while since we had a dominant one. I realize Willie and Jackson give it all , but we need new blood. To win a Grey Cup the front four needs to be great

pjrocksmb

Nah, Our pass rush is good and some games great.  Haba will help.  None issue handled internally.

We have two studs and Walker been good.  Thomas been decent.  Our new faces show promise.  Once healthy we are fine.

Seen this worry early season and it didn't make sense then and doesn't now.  Our rotation is our strength.

What does no pass rush mean? Today, all year?, recently?.  Today was fine.

TecnoGenius

Willie has now "taken two games off".  He got 1 stat tonight: barely.  Jeffcoat was pushing hard, but he can't do it himself.

Now, Hall might have had them focussed on the run, and they did that with aplomb.  So it might not all be the DL... BUT when it's 2nd & long pretty much the whole world knows Maier is going to chuck it.  Surely we can attempt some pressure then?  The only other option is a delayed draw, which the middle guys can protect.

I'll have to go back and look but I didn't see much pass blitzing at all.  Hall putting it all on the front 4... I guess he thought that low of CGY.  But their OL was very very good tonight, and Maier was getting quite a few mid/deep balls off when he had time for a cig in the pocket.

So hard to say what the real problem is.  Scheme?  Focus?  Talent?  Lack of rotation?  We'll find out soon when we play TOR and BC!!  If they play like this, we're royally up the creek.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 19, 2023, 06:17:26 AM
Willie has now "taken two games off".  He got 1 stat tonight: barely.  Jeffcoat was pushing hard, but he can't do it himself.

Now, Hall might have had them focussed on the run, and they did that with aplomb.  So it might not all be the DL... BUT when it's 2nd & long pretty much the whole world knows Maier is going to chuck it.  Surely we can attempt some pressure then?  The only other option is a delayed draw, which the middle guys can protect.

I'll have to go back and look but I didn't see much pass blitzing at all.  Hall putting it all on the front 4... I guess he thought that low of CGY.  But their OL was very very good tonight, and Maier was getting quite a few mid/deep balls off when he had time for a cig in the pocket.

So hard to say what the real problem is.  Scheme?  Focus?  Talent?  Lack of rotation?  We'll find out soon when we play TOR and BC!!  If they play like this, we're royally up the creek.

Willie had at least 2 massive knock downs. He was better in the second half. You under cutting his production. Watch the game again and let me know? Jeffcoat had to massive tackles, one for a loss, Fatboi had a sack. Lawson also has a massive tackle for a loss.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Bomber Diehard

Willie sure isn?t the player he used to be plus every time he does something good he makes a Big issue of it.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Bomber Diehard on August 19, 2023, 10:54:52 AM
Willie sure isn?t the player he used to be plus every time he does something good he makes a Big issue of it.
I do not take issue with that. He has always has and always will do that. It would be nice to see him a little more consistent though.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

peg_city

As of the beginning of the week, Willie was second in sacks and first is pass knockdowns.....

Sir Blue and Gold

Are you guys okay? The defense won us the football game. Willie Jefferson is having a career year. The pass rush is just fine.

Blue In BC

Players wearing out is cumulative during the season. It's just another reason we need to add another DL to spell Jeffcoat and Jefferson.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 01:47:14 PM
Players wearing out is cumulative during the season. It's just another reason we need to add another DL to spell Jeffcoat and Jefferson.

This. We're shorting ourselves in-game and just asking the D to be worn out or injured come play-offs.

Our only rotation DE was brought in after training camp and is injured. Where are the bodies?
My wife is amazing!

3rdand1.5

The guys we have are fine...its the lack of additional guys being able to rotate that is the issue....Pretty well every team we play has 2-3 more DL's rostered than us. Our guys are good but......

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: peg_city on August 19, 2023, 12:35:21 PM
As of the beginning of the week, Willie was second in sacks and first is pass knockdowns.....
Yes....he really seems to be slowing down leading the league with 10 pass knockdowns and well, he's only second in sacks.    He's just a game wrecker but there aren't any stats for this.....none of our DBs have 10 pass knockdowns..,
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 19, 2023, 01:12:16 PM
Are you guys okay? The defense won us the football game. Willie Jefferson is having a career year. The pass rush is just fine.

Agree, sometimes the goal isn't just to sack the QB, the Stamps have a dangerous running game and they held them to 61 yds. on 18 carries.  Maier isn't much of a threat so he's not going to cause a lot of damage even with time, they held him to 190 yds. on 24 attempts, so a very successful game for the O-line as a whole and Willie and JJ certainly contributed significantly.  Rotation will improve once Haba returns.

dd

Hardly worth talking about our pass rush, it?s fine.

Our punt team, now that?s where we should be really concerned, they?re a train wreck

theaardvark

Jefferson is held to a higher standard I guess... leading the league in knockdowns and 2nd in sacks and he's "taking games off"...

We have been spoiled having the Dline and DC we have, as well as the DB's we always seem to find (who then get recruited/bought away and replaced, like our DT's), and LB's led by Biggie here...  My Gosh, we have had an embarrassment of riches, and still people seem enabled to complain.

When our D has an "off game" by our standards, and only play superhuman, the boo birds come out with a thread like "We need a pass rush".  

Maier was rushed just about every throw, and was picking turf pellets out of his teeth most passing plays.  If we didn't knock the ball down, it wobbled out.  He wasn't helped by his league leading ball droppers, but still, very few throws were made unmolested or unhurried.

We do need Hansen and Haba back, and Bennett to get up to Pro gamespeed, for sure.  But in the meantime, we still have one of the most vaunted D's in the league.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.