We need a Pass rush !!

Started by Austin85, August 19, 2023, 04:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 24, 2023, 02:13:08 PM
Well sure but that wasn't really the point or the intent of the question. Every team has some players that are moving towards the bottom of their roster while others are improving . Our Canadian players are very good overall. The bottom 1/3 on most teams is a little iffy. It was a ranking assessment of where Briggs fits. Aside from getting reps in garbage time, I don't want to see him on defence.

Am I being unfair because I think Briggs has digressed and is closer to the bottom this year than last year? I know O'Shea likes him for his leadership on the team and I can agree with that aspect. However from a pure performance point of view, he's getting less reps for a reason.

Gauthier passed him last year in productivity at WIL and MLB as part of the rotation. For that matter he's more valuable on ST's. Cadwallader is gaining ground and I'd rank him ahead of Briggs.

I'm not sure Gauthier ever plays WIL, I believe he mostly comes in as a direct substitute for Bighill in running situations when he requires a breather.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 24, 2023, 03:29:16 PM
I'm not sure Gauthier ever plays WIL, I believe he mostly comes in as a direct substitute for Bighill in running situations when he requires a breather.

He did in 2022 when Wilson 1st got injured IIRC. That was due to not having a better import as a DI to take on that role.  He's better suited at MLB I agree.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 24, 2023, 01:53:56 PM
My guess is a 1/3 to 1/2 of Canadians would be filtered out basically right away if there was no ratio.

And the ones not filtered out would almost invariably be ones that have played a few years under the "protection" of the ratio and become players good enough to play here.  Ones that have "caught up with" players that had 4 year NCAA programs after playing football since they were 7...

The ones that don't fit that category would be the ones that are "Nationals" even though they have had basically the same training as the Americans on the roster, but just had a fortunate passport.

Ratio develops young Canadian players and gives them an opportunity to become good contributors.

Oh, and Canadian players can be both cheaper (they live here) and marketable (they live here).
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.