Official Game Day Thread - Calgary at Winnipeg, July 12, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, July 11, 2024, 01:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 13, 2024, 08:15:57 AMThere needs to be a solution to this type of play & challenge.  I was there, and I knew instantly live that it was a catch.

1) The whistle went after Demski had caught it and gained about 5Y.  The whistle did not sound immediately, that's what confused Demski and the D, and they played on as if there had been no whistle.  At the very least we should be allowed to keep the yards gained before the whistle!!  Because before the whistle all players were playing live ball.

2) If you are going to spot it at the catch and rob a team because of some moronic ref, and it's challenged, then perhaps it should be an automatic 1st down.  Or at the very least, the ball returns to the LoS.  Or a redo of down.  Something, anything to not create this insane situation where blind (or dirty) refs can rob teams of successful hitch screen plays.

3) Still, it wasn't a "waste" of a challenge because we got to keep the challenge flag.  The odds of using it twice in 1 game in the CFL these days is near 0.  However, I guess we lost a TO.

This is an aggravating outcome and I bet league-wide no fan is comfortable that this can happen.  Demski got robbed.

If MOS knew the spot would be for a loss of 2, he'd never have thrown the challenge.  He had to have thought he'd get "yards gained". 

We won it, didn't lose a time out.  But lost 2 yards, but got the first down next play.

No harm, but it was dumb on the officials part.  No reason to whistle the play dead.  Let it play out, then make your call.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on July 13, 2024, 02:59:17 PMIf MOS knew the spot would be for a loss of 2, he'd never have thrown the challenge.  He had to have thought he'd get "yards gained". 

We won it, didn't lose a time out.  But lost 2 yards, but got the first down next play.

No harm, but it was dumb on the officials part.  No reason to whistle the play dead.  Let it play out, then make your call.

O'Shea: "My emotion got the best of me. I know the result is we're not going to get any yards after that. It's stupid on my part. I'm so angry at that point, which is not good"

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/bombers-ride-collaros-and-offence-to-second-straight-win
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on July 13, 2024, 03:02:24 PMO'Shea: "My emotion got the best of me. I know the result is we're not going to get any yards after that. It's stupid on my part. I'm so angry at that point, which is not good"

https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/bombers-ride-collaros-and-offence-to-second-straight-win

OTOH, it makes an official statement to the league by challenging a clear miss by the refs. Since you win the challenge, you don't lose a timeout and you retain the ability to challenge. In this game is was the accidental contact that got us a 1st down when we needed one in the last drive.

The downside is it cost us 2 yards. It was an odd error by the refs that went against us. If we had failed to complete the next play for a 1st down, there would have been a huge problem.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

I don't understand why if it was a catch, which it clearly was, that the refs whistle wouldn't have been ruled as an inadvertent whistle, which it was, and with that the bombers should have been given the option to take the play as it stands, which they'd decline, or redo the down, which they'd get to redo first down. It doesn't make sense that the officials admit a whistle was blown when it shouldn't have been and that will cost you yards—-bombers should have been given the option to replay the down because of the officials error

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on July 13, 2024, 04:25:32 PMI don't understand why if it was a catch, which it clearly was, that the refs whistle wouldn't have been ruled as an inadvertent whistle, which it was, and with that the bombers should have been given the option to take the play as it stands, which they'd decline, or redo the down, which they'd get to redo first down. It doesn't make sense that the officials admit a whistle was blown when it shouldn't have been and that will cost you yards—-bombers should have been given the option to replay the down because of the officials error

Because the defence relaxes when the whistle is blown. There are no do overs, rightly so.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 13, 2024, 04:36:03 PMBecause the defence relaxes when the whistle is blown. There are no do overs, rightly so.

Yards gained when the whistle was blown should have been the spot...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on July 13, 2024, 04:47:41 PMYards gained when the whistle was blown should have been the spot...

Not as black and white as that. If the refs waived off the catch as incomplete, the whistle might have not been blown for another 1/2 or 1 second. Demski was on his knees when he caught it then had time to get up and continue running.

You'd need to do a slow motion detection to see when the pass was ruled incomplete and when the whistle was blown.

There did seem to some pause by both Demski and the defenders.

I have no problem with the final ruling the way it worked out. The issue was the refs making two errors. One being ruling the catch as incomplete and the 2nd possibly blowing the whistle early.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Quote from: theaardvark on July 13, 2024, 04:47:41 PMYards gained when the whistle was blown should have been the spot...
Exactly, the ball was advanced 5 yards when the play was whistled dead in error, so at the very least, the bombers should have gotten the ball where point of possession was when the play was whistled dead. I don't understand why they spotted it where the ball was caught if it was a completed pass, the ball should have been spotted st point of possession when the whistle went. That makes no sense.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on July 13, 2024, 03:02:24 PMO'Shea: "My emotion got the best of me. I know the result is we're not going to get any yards after that. It's stupid on my part. I'm so angry at that point, which is not good"

I thought O'shea looked a bit frazzled last night, he's usually able to keep a lid on his emotions but I guess the pressure of this season is getting through to him a bit.  He's unlike Dickie who usually lets everything hang out, I laughed but felt sorry for him when he waved his hands repeatedly at the unintentional interference penalty that caused Woli to trip.

BomberFan73

That glare on MOS at that point, Holy....must have been the ref he was giving it to.

BomberFan73

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 13, 2024, 05:01:57 PMI thought O'shea looked a bit frazzled last night, he's usually able to keep a lid on his emotions but I guess the pressure of this season is getting through to him a bit.  He's unlike Dickie who usually lets everything hang out, I laughed but felt sorry for him when he waved his hands repeatedly at the unintentional interference penalty that caused Woli to trip.

That's F'n BS he said twice LOL

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 13, 2024, 04:57:37 PMNot as black and white as that. If the refs waived off the catch as incomplete, the whistle might have not been blown for another 1/2 or 1 second. Demski was on his knees when he caught it then had time to get up and continue running.

You'd need to do a slow motion detection to see when the pass was ruled incomplete and when the whistle was blown.

There did seem to some pause by both Demski and the defenders.

I have no problem with the final ruling the way it worked out. The issue was the refs making two errors. One being ruling the catch as incomplete and the 2nd possibly blowing the whistle early.

On the challenge, they have slow motion.  The key is that the whistle means that the players "let up".  Until the whistle sounds (and maybe a half second after), the players are still in "game mode". 

So, and gains made UNTIL the whistle blows should be counted when the challenge was won.  Same if the eye in the sky call down without a challenge.  The play should freeze when the whistle blows.  Choosing a ball position from before or after the whistle does not make sense.

gobombersgo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 13, 2024, 08:15:57 AMThere needs to be a solution to this type of play & challenge.  I was there, and I knew instantly live that it was a catch.

1) The whistle went after Demski had caught it and gained about 5Y.  The whistle did not sound immediately, that's what confused Demski and the D, and they played on as if there had been no whistle.  At the very least we should be allowed to keep the yards gained before the whistle!!  Because before the whistle all players were playing live ball.

2) If you are going to spot it at the catch and rob a team because of some moronic ref, and it's challenged, then perhaps it should be an automatic 1st down.  Or at the very least, the ball returns to the LoS.  Or a redo of down.  Something, anything to not create this insane situation where blind (or dirty) refs can rob teams of successful hitch screen plays.

3) Still, it wasn't a "waste" of a challenge because we got to keep the challenge flag.  The odds of using it twice in 1 game in the CFL these days is near 0.  However, I guess we lost a TO.

This is an aggravating outcome and I bet league-wide no fan is comfortable that this can happen.  Demski got robbed.

Sure, but if that play wasnt challenged there's a higher probability that O'Shea would have challenged PI in the endzone.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on July 13, 2024, 05:43:19 PMOn the challenge, they have slow motion.  The key is that the whistle means that the players "let up".  Until the whistle sounds (and maybe a half second after), the players are still in "game mode". 

So, and gains made UNTIL the whistle blows should be counted when the challenge was won.  Same if the eye in the sky call down without a challenge.  The play should freeze when the whistle blows.  Choosing a ball position from before or after the whistle does not make sense.

No. It's a little like when refs determine forward momentum has been stopped even before a final whistle.

I didn't particularly pay attention to the play when I re-watched the game today. Did the ref immediately waive off the pass as incomplete? I did notice that even Demski was looking back wondering why the whistle had blown etc. etc.

We can complain all we want but the refs made an error and I understand why yards gained were not allowed.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

RebusRankin

I was definitely in the Doug Brown, Why is Wilson on the roster camp but man, glad to be wrong.