The good, the bad, the ugly - Ott at Wpg, Jul 5, 2024

Started by Cool Spot, July 06, 2024, 03:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J5V

Quote from: dd on July 06, 2024, 10:50:32 PMWhat's a grade 2 infraction??

And does anyone know why the misconduct penalty to us was 15 yds and to Ottawa 10 yds when they occurred at the same time.? Does the first one get the extra yardage and the retaliatory one the lesser yardage?? Seems odd
Article 3 — Grade 2 Unnecessary Roughness

Roughing the Passer

Delivering a direct blow to the passer's head or neck area with the helmet when the offender has a clear view to the passer and there are no mitigating circumstances.

Spearing
Delivering a spear to an opponent's head or neck area when the offender has a clear view to the opponent and there are no mitigating circumstances.

PENALTY: Team A – L25

Team B – L25 and AFD

Any player called for two Grade 2 Unnecessary Roughness fouls in the same game will be disqualified from that game.
Go Bombers!

Stats Junkie

Quote from: dd on July 06, 2024, 10:50:32 PMWhat's a grade 2 infraction??

And does anyone know why the misconduct penalty to us was 15 yds and to Ottawa 10 yds when they occurred at the same time.? Does the first one get the extra yardage and the retaliatory one the lesser yardage?? Seems odd
J5V already answered what a Grade 2 infraction is.

In his post game presser, Mike O'Shea expressed surprise that the Command Centre awarded the Grade 2 penalty on the play. He seemed to suggest that the intent of the rule was for the Command Centre to upgrade a penalty that was 'called' on field.

Re: Misconduct penalties
A misconduct penalty is the generic term applied to any post play foul. 10 yards is awarded for penalties that typically fall under objectionable conduct including taunting. 15 yards is awarded for penalties that typically fall under unnecessary roughness.

It would appear as though Ottawa was guilty of OC while Winnipeg retaliated with UR. That would net out as 5 yards against Winnipeg.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

dd

Quote from: J5V on July 06, 2024, 11:17:57 PMArticle 3 — Grade 2 Unnecessary Roughness

Roughing the Passer

Delivering a direct blow to the passer's head or neck area with the helmet when the offender has a clear view to the passer and there are no mitigating circumstances.

Spearing
Delivering a spear to an opponent's head or neck area when the offender has a clear view to the opponent and there are no mitigating circumstances.

PENALTY: Team A – L25

Team B – L25 and AFD

Any player called for two Grade 2 Unnecessary Roughness fouls in the same game will be disqualified from that game.
Thanks for the explanation, makes sense, 2 UR fouls involving head contact and you're done. Good rule

dd

Quote from: Stats Junkie on July 07, 2024, 12:30:55 AMJ5V already answered what a Grade 2 infraction is.

In his post game presser, Mike O'Shea expressed surprise that the Command Centre awarded the Grade 2 penalty on the play. He seemed to suggest that the intent of the rule was for the Command Centre to upgrade a penalty that was 'called' on field.

Re: Misconduct penalties
A misconduct penalty is the generic term applied to any post play foul. 10 yards is awarded for penalties that typically fall under objectionable conduct including taunting. 15 yards is awarded for penalties that typically fall under unnecessary roughness.

It would appear as though Ottawa was guilty of OC while Winnipeg retaliated with UR. That would net out as 5 yards against Winnipeg.
Confusing, not sure why they just didn't stick to the UR and OC foul classifications, having multiple yardages for the same foul 'misconduct' is weird.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: markf on July 06, 2024, 04:15:54 PMShout out Jake Thomas, iron man.

The guy does not miss games.

Unspectacular, but Always seems to make a play... tipped pass last night.

Fatboi got some major air for that tip.  I'm not actually sure how he did it!  Who knew his vertical was so good?  He was getting some good push, too.  Make Dru/Crum uncomfortable most of the night.  Much better DL play overall.

And funny that it took the word-scramble player so long on MATHOS... had me stumped for 6s too!  To me he's Fatboi, then Jake, but almost never THOMAS.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 07, 2024, 12:38:31 AMConfusing, not sure why they just didn't stick to the UR and OC foul classifications, having multiple yardages for the same foul 'misconduct' is weird.

Because one hurts your body, and the other hurts your feelings.  Kind of the same in Canadian criminal law.  And that's a good thing.  Sticks and stones and all that...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on July 06, 2024, 09:59:41 PMOn the Kyrie Wilson UR penalty, Mike Miller looked like he was going to hold Crum up then shoved him to the ground. A heads up Sergio Castillo had to dive out of the way. Mike O'Shea didn't look pleased with his ST coordinator.

I'll have to look for that... sounds a bit funny, if a bit naughty, and could draw a penalty.

The coords do have to be held to a higher standard though, otherwise they devolve into Claybrooks LOL.  Maybe Miller is still too much in the player headspace... but hey, he's only a few weeks into his new gig.  He'll learn, esp with MOS as a mentor.

Quote from: Stats Junkie on July 06, 2024, 09:59:41 PMMyron Mitchell didn't collect any stats but I did notice him providing the lead block on a couple of Oliveira runs.

You sure it wasn't one of the 2 dressed FB's?  Why use a 3rd string WR for that duty?  Unless he is starts the pre-snap lined out slot/wide and waggles to the box?  If you have a specific play I can key on that would be great, otherwise I'll keep my eye out on rewatch.

Quote from: Stats Junkie on July 06, 2024, 09:59:41 PMMidway through Q1, Baltimore received a 15 yard misconduct penalty but only 10 yards was marched off.

Haha, you're right!  Are you 100% positive they didn't call it OC for 10?  Command may have been able to downgrade it: they did take forever on the call.  It was a punch to the face, but it was probably the weakest punch I've seen draw a UR.

Surely someone in WFC or command or on-field would have noticed the mistake?  If not, and it really was UR/15, why don't we task a water boy in the booth with the OC or DC with making sure spots/penalties are correct??

Quote from: Stats Junkie on July 06, 2024, 09:59:41 PMThe Harris spearing penalty was a Grade 2 Spearing infraction. It would normally be a 25 yard penalty but because it was assessed as half the distance to the goal line it only measured 7 yards.
** Two grade 2 penalties results in a disqualification.

Ya, that's been discussed before.  It irks a lot of people.  It's kind of a free pass to really misbehave.  If you do it at the 2 or 1YL it's even worse.

Maybe penalties that would get too close to the EZ should be assessed as such:
 5Y penalty = 1/3rd distance to goal
10Y penalty = 1/2
15Y penalty = 2/3
25Y penalty = 3/4

That way the "bad" penalties are less "free".

Maybe also a 15+ penalty from the 1 or 2YL should be the above plus yardage applied to the next KO, if there is one.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on July 06, 2024, 08:21:47 PMTeams are required to have 3 QBs on the active roster for each game & at least 2 must be in uniform.

To put Zach on the 6-game IR would require the Blue Bombers to sign another QB. If Zach only spends a game or two on the 6-game then there is no SMS relief. It would actually result in a bigger cap hit because the new QB would be added to the bottom line.

Why not just put a PR guy on the AR is the "3rd QB"?  I don't think any law says a QB has to be a QB.  Boom, SMS and find-a-guy-quick problem solved.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on July 06, 2024, 05:59:14 PMThanks Pete, I stand corrected. I was going by article 4 in amateur rule book, obviously different for the pros. Thanks for pointing that out

You were right, dd, but they changed the rule maybe 5 seasons ago?  Before that it was just as you said.  I never did like this rule change... But I guess it was done to make officiating easier?  Didn't help this time (or the ref tried to rig the game)...

To see proof it was not an IFP, see my post in the other thread:
http://forums.bluebombers.com/index.php?topic=55793.msg1627119#msg1627119
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on July 06, 2024, 06:27:30 PMWas it play calling or execution?  Buck had a much smaller playbook with Streveler, and the team was much more focused on executing that gameplan.

Both, but there was some amazing game-scheming and play-calling going on.  Buck's best week of work this season.  Which is good, because they were looking like slackers deep under PAS so far this season.

Watch how Buck changed from Brady->gut Strev->edge split-the-D strategy all first half to Brady->gut Strev->gut-2-yards-behind in 2nd half.  OTT probably spent all HT adjusting to the 1st half scenario, all for nothing as we went to a really unique and creative head/tail gut-run strategy.

You can't appreciate it live time, so go back and watch those one-two punch runs again.  Try slow-mo.  No one has a clue whether Brady is the decoy or Strev is the decoy, and they often let ball-carrying Brady run right by them 1 foot away!  I got a bad case of the grins watching those a few times.

Buuuuuuuuuut... all those great ideas really only work with Strev as the QB.  We'll need to see Buck figuring out some new magic for Zach, too.  Or Buck can start doing what we all wanted/thought he would week 1: Make Strev part of every game plan for 25-50% of the snaps.  Then roll with whatever is working best against team B that week.
Never go full Rider!

blue_or_die

I have a few very important points to add to this thread:

- there are 2+ IPAs you can find at PAS: Arrow by TCB, found in the "Locally Grown" concessions (there are at least two in the lower bowl; one on the east side and one on the south end zone, as well as one on the upper decks (at least on the west side as that's where my seats are). The other would be one from the macro kiosks that sell non-Coors beer, usually from BC or AB. These are expensive and not very good IMO. I recommend having the local stuff

- "Pilsner" is NOT the same as "pilsner". The capitalized version is the brand name of the crap that comes from Suckscrapchewan and it would fail on the profile of what an actual (lower case p) pils is defined as. A lower case pilsner is a style, not a brand, and when done right, is fresh, crisp and refreshing on a hot summer day. TCB makes a Bomber themed pils which they also sell at the Locally Grown concessions. Buy that and support local.

- if you find yourself craving a Saskie Pilsner but are short on cash, they let you take an empty cup into the stadium. Simply take your cup and scoop up the liquid content in one of the men's urinal. Cheaper, closer to a true Pilsner, and I imagine tastier (you tell me). Also, possibly higher ABV. Support local.

Go Bombers!
#Ride?

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 07, 2024, 06:08:08 AMWhy not just put a PR guy on the AR is the "3rd QB"?  I don't think any law says a QB has to be a QB.  Boom, SMS and find-a-guy-quick problem solved.

It adds the cost of a game check over a PR check to the SMS. OTOH, the rules now allow 2 QB's on the field at the same time. So in theory a team could add another player on offence as a QB that was a receiver or RB.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

J5V

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 08, 2024, 03:37:54 PMIt adds the cost of a game check over a PR check to the SMS. OTOH, the rules now allow 2 QB's on the field at the same time. So in theory a team could add another player on offence as a QB that was a receiver or RB.
Maybe someone can tell me if my thought is a bad one of having Strev and Zach on with BO in an effort to confuse the opposing D. Use Strev as an another RB that could potentially pull up and throw if he sees something. Use Zach as a pure passer. Mix in some flea-flickers and you could have a very creative, fun offense. No?
Go Bombers!

Blue In BC

Quote from: J5V on July 08, 2024, 10:27:58 PMMaybe someone can tell me if my thought is a bad one of having Strev and Zach on with BO in an effort to confuse the opposing D. Use Strev as an another RB that could potentially pull up and throw if he sees something. Use Zach as a pure passer. Mix in some flea-flickers and you could have a very creative, fun offense. No?

It's not the worst idea and we're likely to see it at some point. Streveler could line up in the backfield and take a pitch out or at least give the illusion that might happen. He could slide out to take a pass as an outlet.

Streveler with the ball in open space can't be disregarded by defences. He'll truck over most DB's.

In effect it potentially takes a LB out of the box which improves the ability to run.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BBRT

Quote from: blue_or_die on July 08, 2024, 03:28:34 PMif you find yourself craving a Saskie Pilsner

Under no circumstances would I ever crave a Saskie Pilsner. I have a ton of clients in Saskatchewan and while my trips are always great trips they all insist that we have a cold beverage from time to time and the Pilsner breaks out.

Now I am use to pretty bad beer (not sure anyone remembers black label and not sure it is still around) but I rank Pilsner up there with Black Label.