Official Game Day Thread - Montreal at Winnipeg, June 6, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 05, 2024, 05:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 07, 2024, 08:55:33 AMThe MOS challenge was inexcusable, and not very MOS-like.  He knows you keep that challenge to keep those refs honest all game.  You don't blow it in the 1st Q, and certainly not on a useless boondoggle.

Any student of the CFL knows that they almost never overturn a no no-yards call.  It's been shown many times that not only will someone have to be within the halo, they'll have to be within closer to 1.1-1.5 yards of the halo!  Guys a couple of feet inside the halo are never called: not live, and not in command review.

How does MOS not know this?  He says he watches most every game.  He sees what I see.  Write a new note on your chart, MOS: you ain't gonna overturn a no no-yards unless it's incredibly egregious.  I think I've seen just one overturned since they started allowing a no-yards challenge.

You want irony?  Maas wasted his challenge early in exactly the same way in the GC.

On teh post game, he mentioned that on the Ipad it definitely showed someone in the halo.  He was very confident in that challenge from the evidence in hand.  When he saw it on the jumbotron, yeah, whoops.

It was a huge play, change of possession deep and a momentum swing of huge proportions.  Had the challenge been good, it changed the game dramatically.

There needs to be a better advice option though for challenges.  One Ipad look is not enough.  Don't we have a video guy that can be tasked with that?

Sergio had a horrible night, and there seems to be something off with the chipped game balls.  Might have been what was troubling Collaros and Fajardo and the punters as well.  No one was making the ball do what they wanted.  But they have to finish week one with those balls, give everyone the same disadvantage.  I won't be surprised to hear that they are pulled before week two.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 07, 2024, 01:43:39 PMThe sloppiest performance I've seen from this team in ages. What an ugly, ugly showing.

Y'all forget the travesty that was BC@WPG in 2023!  I rewatched it a few weeks ago and that was truly a travesty.  In fact, many similarities to this week 1 game.  We didn't get a TD at all in that game, not even in garbage time (30-6)!

The saddest part is if BC plays MTL tomorrow, BC likely wipes the floor with them.  Scary thought.

Edit:

Quote from: The Zipp on June 07, 2024, 03:17:33 PMworst home game of the Collaros era IMO - last year against BC at home losing 30-6 was pretty bad too.

You beat me to it!  The BC one was worse.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on June 07, 2024, 03:47:32 PMOn teh post game, he mentioned that on the Ipad it definitely showed someone in the halo.  He was very confident in that challenge from the evidence in hand.  When he saw it on the jumbotron, yeah, whoops.

You missed my main point: they NEVER overturn the no no yards.  Just once since inception of that challenge FWIR.

You can be 1 yard within the halo and command will still not overturn.  You have to be closer to 1.5 yards within the halo to have a shot at an overturn.  Remember, ruling on the field takes precedent and thus the no yards has to be egregious to be overturned.

MOS should know this if I know this!  Even if the dude is 2 feet inside the halo, they will not overturn.

I knew live it wasn't no yards, I knew before the replay it wasn't no yards, I knew when I saw the replay it wasn't no yards.  Dumbest MOS challenge ever.

In MOS's presser his answer "command was right" was MOS really saying "command says it's right so it's right", which is what he always says because he is a stand up guy who will take one for the good of the league and keep it out of disrepute.  This is a good thing.

And I'm sure MOS really did (and still does) think the ipad showed the guy in the halo, so he's not lying there.  When I freeze-framed and did all my tricks I thought the dude was maybe a couple of inches in the halo, but as per above, that means nothing.  A HC needs to know the precedent of how command rules, and work within those confines, otherwise you can be right and still waste a challenge.  MOS generally has a good feel for this (he is on the rules committee!), so I have no idea why he fell flat on this no yards challenge.

The only other option is desperation, and I refuse to believe that.  That would be like Dickenson The Remaining in the 2019 WDF doing a hopeless challenge on nothing because he knew that the momentum was steamrolling.  Even if MOS thought that it was the beginning of the end, I've yet to see him panic.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Was it just my eyes @PAS, or did we play one snap with both Zach and Strevie in; with Strevie taking a handoff from Zach?  Am I going nuts?

IIRC, it didn't really work out for any useful gain, but man, do I want to see more creative wacko stuff like that!!
Never go full Rider!

BomberFan73

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 08, 2024, 07:14:18 AMWas it just my eyes @PAS, or did we play one snap with both Zach and Strevie in; with Strevie taking a handoff from Zach?  Am I going nuts?

IIRC, it didn't really work out for any useful gain, but man, do I want to see more creative wacko stuff like that!!

I saw that too, although nothing came of it. 

Slimy Sculpin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 08, 2024, 07:14:18 AMWas it just my eyes @PAS, or did we play one snap with both Zach and Strevie in; with Strevie taking a handoff from Zach?  Am I going nuts?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, there was one play where both Bomber QBs were in. However, on the play, Collaros attempted to handoff to Oliveira and the transfer was botched. No turnover but a messed up play.

Waffler

Quote from: Slimy Sculpin on June 08, 2024, 01:09:22 PMSomeone please correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, there was one play where both Bomber QBs were in. However, on the play, Collaros attempted to handoff to Oliveira and the transfer was botched. No turnover but a messed up play.

Yeah. Collaros held the ball too long, appeared to be looking at his throwing option.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

I noticed it on 2 consecutive plays, should be interesting to see where they take it.

ModAdmin

Upon Further Review | Mtl 27 Wpg 12

"....We got beat. We got out-executed," said guard Pat Neufeld. "Offensively we didn't play up to the standard we set for ourselves and when you go out and make mistakes and don't play physical enough, that's what happens at home – you lose like that.

"We're going to have to be very honest with ourselves and address the reasons why we lost this game and move forward. It's a long season. Everyone in this building has lost a game. Obviously, you don't want to lose at home, and you don't want to lose a home opener, but it happens.

"We don't want to have this feeling again, so that's why you work your butt off, so you don't have it again...."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/06/07/upon-further-review-mtl-27-wpg-12/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 09, 2024, 08:58:10 PM"We don't want to have this feeling again, so that's why you work your butt off, so you don't have it again...."

This is good stuff; exactly what us fans want to hear.  They should feel bad.  I haven't watched the final game of the week yet, but I can hazard a guess that WPG looked the worst of any of the 8 teams playing.  That's unacceptable.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

So, no supplemental discipline for Stubblefield?  Other than the kharma/irony of going out for the season on the next play with an ACL?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Stretch

Quote from: theaardvark on June 10, 2024, 06:16:45 PMSo, no supplemental discipline for Stubblefield? 

If there is (which there won't be), I wouldn't expect it to be announced until Wednesday.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on June 10, 2024, 06:16:45 PMSo, no supplemental discipline for Stubblefield?  Other than the kharma/irony of going out for the season on the next play with an ACL?

They don't care.  Only Strevie cares.  It's never called, never will be called, and 99% of the time this happens and we don't know about it.

Now that I think about it, I can remember a whole lot of times AH was at the bottom of a tackle/pile and players are doing all sorts of nasty stuff to him and he's wincing and upset but he just bounces up and runs down the field to show you he's gonna kick your butt.

I would be shocked if Stubby gets any penalty.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

Wow! The wheels have fallen off.

Collaros sucked again.
Why did Neufeld run away from his. Man on that one play allowing a direct sack of Zach.
Why does Jefferson run around the edge and then quit if he isn't near the QB.
Why does Bonds after missing a tackle stop and watch the receiver .
Why is Ford in the field?

So many Bomber defenders playing at 1/4 speed. Someone tell them a game is being played, and it's time for full speed.  If that's all they have left, they should retire. Some of those guys are steeling money.

Has anyone see Brandon Alexander  make a tackle.  Has anyone seen Kramdi make a tackle..

theaardvark

Quote from: DM83 on June 14, 2024, 06:58:56 AMWow! The wheels have fallen off.

Collaros sucked again.
Why did Neufeld run away from his. Man on that one play allowing a direct sack of Zach.
Why does Jefferson run around the edge and then quit if he isn't near the QB.
Why does Bonds after missing a tackle stop and watch the receiver .
Why is Ford in the field?

So many Bomber defenders playing at 1/4 speed. Someone tell them a game is being played, and it's time for full speed.  If that's all they have left, they should retire. Some of those guys are steeling money.

Has anyone see Brandon Alexander  make a tackle.  Has anyone seen Kramdi make a tackle..

So DM83like

First, you're in the wrong thread, this thread was about last weeks game.

Collaros was one inch away from winning the game.  Literally one inch.

Neufeld is part of an oline unit.  Each has his responsibilities.  It is the D's job to confuse them and sometimes, it works.  As time goes by, they will work together better and less likely to miss assignments.

With injuries, Jefferson was out there far more than we'd like.  If he isn't near the QB and conserves some energy for the next play, I'm ok with that in that situation.

Bonds is a raw rookie, and will get dressed down for that in film. 

Ford is on the field because he's a very talented and athletic Nat that stuck with the Packers until the final cuts last year.  Three years from now, you'll be crying if we lose him.

Defenders were on the field a lot last night, and 3 starters were out, leaving the Dline no rotational players, and the DB's with 3 rookies.  None played at 1/4 speed.  They played at the max they could, under the conditions.

BA73 and RK6 have both made 9 tackles this year, and many have been punishing.  RH6 has flashed past a ball carrier a couple times, but more often than not, he blows them up.  They are not ones you should criticize.