Blue Bombers add offensive tackle to roster

Started by ModAdmin, March 19, 2024, 02:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add offensive tackle to roster

WINNIPEG, MB., March 19, 2024 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American offensive lineman Larnel Coleman.

Coleman (6-6, 310; UMass, born: June 22, 1998, in Malden,  MA) was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the seventh round (231st pick) in the 2021 NFL Draft. In 2022, he played one game for the Dolphins before spending time on their practice squad. He then signed with the Carolina Panthers in October of 2022 and was released the following training camp. Coleman played four seasons at Massachusetts (2017-20), seeing action at both tackle positions in 36 games for the Minutemen.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Sir Blue and Gold

On the surface is seems like a great signing. This is the type of pedigree/experience that often has success in the CFL. Have to see what his compete level is when he gets here. So much of offensive lineman play is attitude.

Pigskin

Coleman and Vanterpool 6'6" 315, will be two players I  will be watching in TC.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pigskin on March 19, 2024, 08:21:57 PMColeman and Vanterpool 6'6" 315, will be two players I  will be watching in TC.

Might not be Yoshi level in their first year, but with Marty Costello in house and all the O-line vets helping out either of these guys could be long term solutions at RT. I expect Lofton to start the season in that position to ensure they get off to a good start, natural talent will determine who occupies the position by the end of the year.

Interesting that Stanley is back in town so early, I can't recall him ever arriving early in past seasons.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/03/14/stanley-bryant-march-14/

Also can not recall Neufeld ever playing OLG beside Bryant which is mentioned.   Anyone recall the year this happened?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 19, 2024, 10:08:01 PMMight not be Yoshi level in their first year, but with Marty Costello in house and all the O-line vets helping out either of these guys could be long term solutions at RT. I expect Lofton to start the season in that position to ensure they get off to a good start, natural talent will determine who occupies the position by the end of the year.

Also can not recall Neufeld ever playing OLG beside Bryant which is mentioned.  Anyone recall the year this happened?

Ya, I'd bet money on Lofton or Ivy, as the only path to OT in WFC is "CFL-vet OT FA grab" or "1+ seasons in WPG as understudy".  Lofton is both!

For one of the new IMPs to get the job they'd have to be the 2nd coming of Big Stan, or Lofton/Ivy have to suck so bad in week 1-3 that we have no choice but to instead suck with a new IMP!

I do vaguely recall Neufeld at LG during injury shuffles over the years.  Can't tell you when.  May have been a brief in-game shuffle or maybe even a couple-of-week thing while someone walks off a brief IR stint.

Too bad stats don't show the exact OL position a player starts / plays at each game.  I have a funny feeling Junkie has those stats... maybe he can tell us.

I may start tracking this stuff myself, as we regularly get the "did Neuf ever play at RT in 2023", "did Neuf ever play LG ever?" questions/arguments.  It's an interesting stat that wouldn't take much effort to track since changes are outside the norm.  I'd have to exclude 1-5 snap changes, though, as sometimes we do wacky stuff on jumbo packages or GL sneaks.
Never go full Rider!

LXTSN

Quote from: TecnoGenius on March 20, 2024, 01:52:11 AMYa, I'd bet money on Lofton or Ivy, as the only path to OT in WFC is "CFL-vet OT FA grab" or "1+ seasons in WPG as understudy".  Lofton is both!

For one of the new IMPs to get the job they'd have to be the 2nd coming of Big Stan, or Lofton/Ivy have to suck so bad in week 1-3 that we have no choice but to instead suck with a new IMP!

I do vaguely recall Neufeld at LG during injury shuffles over the years.  Can't tell you when.  May have been a brief in-game shuffle or maybe even a couple-of-week thing while someone walks off a brief IR stint.

Too bad stats don't show the exact OL position a player starts / plays at each game.  I have a funny feeling Junkie has those stats... maybe he can tell us.

I may start tracking this stuff myself, as we regularly get the "did Neuf ever play at RT in 2023", "did Neuf ever play LG ever?" questions/arguments.  It's an interesting stat that wouldn't take much effort to track since changes are outside the norm.  I'd have to exclude 1-5 snap changes, though, as sometimes we do wacky stuff on jumbo packages or GL sneaks.
This is kind of my fear with these OL that we've brought into camp. It feels like they are just competition/pressure for Lofton and Ivy to battle against.
It seems like we had a really heavy focus on the right tackle and we brought in a really talented group of guys!
I would be surprised if one of the 4-6 rookies that we brought in would make the opening night active roster. I think despite the talent, MOS would rather have someone that he's familiar and comfortable with.

kkc60

I think Lofton gets the first couple games, then adjust from there. Hopefully one of these guys shows more, I like the odds as so far all of these new guys look pretty impressive

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on March 20, 2024, 03:24:13 PMThis is kind of my fear with these OL that we've brought into camp. It feels like they are just competition/pressure for Lofton and Ivy to battle against.
It seems like we had a really heavy focus on the right tackle and we brought in a really talented group of guys!
I would be surprised if one of the 4-6 rookies that we brought in would make the opening night active roster. I think despite the talent, MOS would rather have someone that he's familiar and comfortable with.

Probably one of the rookies brought in ends up on the PR for future development, they also have to keep in mind this "could" be Bryant's last season.  The last few years they've hardly had to rely on injury replacement along the O-line, that can change in a heartbeat as the Riders have experienced the past few seasons.

bluebeard

Quote from: LXTSN on March 20, 2024, 03:24:13 PMThis is kind of my fear with these OL that we've brought into camp. It feels like they are just competition/pressure for Lofton and Ivy to battle against.

Most players look good on paper but until they show on the field it will be a question if they have the tallent to play here.  Did not Lofton play LT for Sask  last season?  Just cann't remember.  Changing over to the other side may take a little time to get used to it.  This could be a problem.  Wish we had Yoshi back.

theaardvark

We will have a fun TC for Olinemen... hope we can land one or two worth keeping, plus add in the draft.  I really hope we don't make the mistake of drafting a potential tackle.. that was Gray... better to have an Eli/Dobson...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on March 20, 2024, 05:38:08 PMProbably one of the rookies brought in ends up on the PR for future development, they also have to keep in mind this "could" be Bryant's last season.  The last few years they've hardly had to rely on injury replacement along the O-line, that can change in a heartbeat as the Riders have experienced the past few seasons.

Good point.  Even if the new good-looking guys don't beat out the vets to start, we absolutely need 1-2 IMP OL in the hopper.  That would fit perfectly with our M.O., as we always have a Richmond-like guy in dev.

But this totally means the one (of Lofton/Ivy) who doesn't win the starting spot MUST compete hard and show well or they may lose the "dev guy" job to a rookie.

Good point about Bryant, too.  That opens up a possible 2nd IMP OT dev job.  However, that may not be feasible with the limited PR space??

My hunch is Big Stan hangs around for the home 2025 GC.  Why quit now, just 1 extra year away from immortality?
Never go full Rider!

BomberFan73

In 2018 we had Byrant/Neufeld/Goosen/Chungh/Hardrick

So, yes Neufeld did play LG beside Bryant

TecnoGenius

Quote from: BomberFan73 on March 20, 2024, 09:06:43 PMIn 2018 we had Byrant/Neufeld/Goosen/Chungh/Hardrick

So, yes Neufeld did play LG beside Bryant

There we go!  Thanks!  Chungh was the natural RG and Neufeld still finding his place after coming from SSK?

Was '18 really the last year for Chung in WPG?  Boy, I could have sworn it was a season or 2 before that.  My sense of time is sure wonky.

You gotta give credit for the OL that stick around 5+ years: Stan, Yosh, Neuf.  So many go seek fortune elsewhere, most having short careers once they leave (but not Chungh).  Or they pull the "unexpected retirement" card and leave us in a lurch (won't name names!).
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

Will be very nice to have so many faces if we have camp injuries at OL which was have avoided for years but it does happen very often