What Cody would make you happier?

Started by TecnoGenius, January 15, 2024, 04:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

It'll be interesting when week 1 rolls around.  Will Cody in MTL look like the Tom Brady he did in the 2nd half of the 110th GC?  Or will he look like good old Cody we all know and love: wheeling out into sacks, turtling when his 1st read is covered, and shot-putting anything longer than 20Y?

Yes, I'm still sore from being beaten by Cody in the GC.  It's different than being beaten by MBT/Kelly, or Masoli/Evans teams with only a couple of regular season losses.  Might take a while to truly come to terms with it.

If you still care that Cody beat us, would you rather see superstar Cody in 2024 or normal .500 Cody?  If he plays like a superstar then maybe you could say "we were beaten by a superstar level player and that's not so bad".  If he plays like .500 Cody, maybe you could say "see, it really was just a fluke any-given-Sunday win".  If you don't care or want to make a guess, close the thread window!

Yes, I understand I'm admitting Cody and the GC loss is living rent free in my head.  I don't mind; I was there, it was painful.  At least I'm honest.  Admitting it is the first step to recovery!  I bet a bunch of our D guys are in the same boat, though they may not admit it.

My guess?  He'll be same old .500 level Cody.  However, it is possible he gets a "GC Champ / MVP" ego boost.  That morale boost can have strange, and very real, effects.  See Kelly in 2023.  His team could also be better, from the same effect, and from being able to attract superstar FAs to a GC-contending team in a nice city and weaker division.  I also would prefer the "normal" Cody: him becoming the next Ricky Ray would not make me feel any better.

The results of the week 1 GC rematch in WPG could set the tone for how both MTL/WPG seasons' progress.  It may have a massive morale effect on both teams.  I really hope we pull out all the stops and put all the cards on the table to secure a week 1 win and plant that seed of doubt in MTL/Cody.

P.S. A superstar Cody and 2-4 regular season L MTL team certainly would make the East a far more exciting division compared to recent years.  MTL/TOR face each other 3 times, and if they are slugfest barnstormers, it will be highly entertaining, as well as help WPG beat TOR for #1 in the standings.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

There were two plays that ultimately resulted in the Montreal win in the Grey Cup...

1. the 3rd and 5 pass completion in the 4th quarter that took the Als to the Bombers 20 yard line.

2. the subsequent TD pass to Philpot to win the game.  Houston came within an ace of knocking that pass down.

Credit to Montreal but they were both high risk plays that ended up being successful.  Otherwise the Bombers win the game.

Cody still has a lot to prove before being considered the reason Montreal won the Cup.  2024 will be his chance to show who he thinks he is.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

blue_gold_84

Eh... I think he'll be the same QB he's typically been throughout his career. One strong performance in the big game is more likely to be an outlier than anything.

The comparison to Chad Kelly is unfounded, IMO. Kelly's far more talented.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Lincoln Locomotive

For the sake of the league I hope Brady emerges as good QB....and yes winning the GC and FINALLY beating the Bombers in the biggest game of the year no less will definitely improve his state of mind and confidence.   Lest we forget, AC is a brilliant offensive mind and he's also Cody's QB coach.    If you recall, AC made a career out of quick hitting passes and he had a receiving corp that thrived on this namely Ben Cahoon and SJ Green.   I expect Brady to evolve with AC at the offensive helm in Montreal and THAT would be good for our league.    Jeez Techno....let your obsessive dissing of Cody go already!
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 15, 2024, 04:44:39 AM
It'll be interesting when week 1 rolls around.  Will Cody in MTL look like the Tom Brady he did in the 2nd half of the 110th GC?  Or will he look like good old Cody we all know and love: wheeling out into sacks, turtling when his 1st read is covered, and shot-putting anything longer than 20Y?

Yes, I'm still sore from being beaten by Cody in the GC.  It's different than being beaten by MBT/Kelly, or Masoli/Evans teams with only a couple of regular season losses.  Might take a while to truly come to terms with it.

If you still care that Cody beat us, would you rather see superstar Cody in 2024 or normal .500 Cody?  If he plays like a superstar then maybe you could say "we were beaten by a superstar level player and that's not so bad".  If he plays like .500 Cody, maybe you could say "see, it really was just a fluke any-given-Sunday win".  If you don't care or want to make a guess, close the thread window!

Yes, I understand I'm admitting Cody and the GC loss is living rent free in my head.  I don't mind; I was there, it was painful.  At least I'm honest.  Admitting it is the first step to recovery!  I bet a bunch of our D guys are in the same boat, though they may not admit it.

My guess?  He'll be same old .500 level Cody.  However, it is possible he gets a "GC Champ / MVP" ego boost.  That morale boost can have strange, and very real, effects.  See Kelly in 2023.  His team could also be better, from the same effect, and from being able to attract superstar FAs to a GC-contending team in a nice city and weaker division.  I also would prefer the "normal" Cody: him becoming the next Ricky Ray would not make me feel any better.

The results of the week 1 GC rematch in WPG could set the tone for how both MTL/WPG seasons' progress.  It may have a massive morale effect on both teams.  I really hope we pull out all the stops and put all the cards on the table to secure a week 1 win and plant that seed of doubt in MTL/Cody.

P.S. A superstar Cody and 2-4 regular season L MTL team certainly would make the East a far more exciting division compared to recent years.  MTL/TOR face each other 3 times, and if they are slugfest barnstormers, it will be highly entertaining, as well as help WPG beat TOR for #1 in the standings.

Sometimes the less talented QB wins. That's football. Just ask the Rams today, it happens. Fajardo will be the same guy he always has been. It won't be good enough a lot of the time but some of the time it works out.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 15, 2024, 05:19:10 PM
Sometimes the less talented QB wins. That's football.

Ugh. Now I'm thinking about 2001.
#forthew
лава Україні!
What a wretched timeline.

Cool Spot

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 15, 2024, 05:27:33 AM
There were two plays that ultimately resulted in the Montreal win in the Grey Cup...

1. the 3rd and 5 pass completion in the 4th quarter that took the Als to the Bombers 20 yard line.

2. the subsequent TD pass to Philpot to win the game.  Houston came within an ace of knocking that pass down.

I feel like Winnipeg's drive before that one, where Collaros got sacked on second-down, was the ultimate game-changer. Had Winnipeg gotten a first down, they could have taken another ~40 seconds off the clock and I think that would have been it for MTL.

Collaros went down with 2:24 on the clock, so let's say they get a first down on that play. Take off another 60 seconds for first/second/third-down and punt, and MTL gets the ball back with far less time and mostly worse field position since Wpg lost yards on that sack vs having another 15-20 yards further upfield to punt from. Not guaranteed they'd have won it, but I feel like it's much less likely MTL digs out of that hole.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Cool Spot on January 15, 2024, 06:30:56 PM
I feel like Winnipeg's drive before that one, where Collaros got sacked on second-down, was the ultimate game-changer. Had Winnipeg gotten a first down, they could have taken another ~40 seconds off the clock and I think that would have been it for MTL.

Collaros went down with 2:24 on the clock, so let's say they get a first down on that play. Take off another 60 seconds for first/second/third-down and punt, and MTL gets the ball back with far less time and mostly worse field position since Wpg lost yards on that sack vs having another 15-20 yards further upfield to punt from. Not guaranteed they'd have won it, but I feel like it's much less likely MTL digs out of that hole.
That sack was a game changer.....I kept saying "just one first down" as we had excellent field position at this point.   On first down we got stuffed for a yard gain and then the sack which put us back another 8 yards.    We got a fairly decent punt though and limited the run back.....but yeah, two minutes plus is an eternity in the CFL and another minute or so off the clock might have sealed Montreals fate.    Montreal made several key plays and that was definitely one of them that likely helped them win a Cup.   
Bomber fan for life

dd

Credit to Montreal but they were both high risk plays that ended up being successful.  Otherwise the Bombers win the game.

Cody still has a lot to prove before being considered the reason Montreal won the Cup.  2024 will be his chance to show who he think he is.
Exactly. Yes, he made 2 great plays....does that propel him to superstar status?? Don't think so. A stopped clock is right twice a day!!

Not taking anything away from CF, he made the plays, but I bet you he couldn't do it again!! and if he does, good on him. But it ain't happening

On the other side of things, I don't think we see crappy Chad this year in the playoffs. CK worries me more than CF ever will

blue_or_die

Cody still has a lot to prove before being considered the reason Montreal won the Cup.  2024 will be his chance to show who he thinks he is.

Pretty much this.

The media so badly wanted their narrative of a rejuvenated Cody career and now they're pretending that he's risen like a phoenix from the ashes but really, he made 2 amazing plays at the most critical time. And credit to him...but that was about all we saw of him. All season long.

When Montreal flops from the first whistle, before the end of June the 3DN headlines will be "What is Going on With Grey Cup Champion Superstar Cody Fajardo?" Grey Cup hangover? No, he's just never been that great...
#Ride?