1st & 10 | January 12

Started by ModAdmin, January 14, 2024, 04:18:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 15, 2024, 04:05:21 AM
Whilst true for NATs, it's less so for IMPs.

What IMPs do we have in-house that can produce as much as Alexander, Bailey & Clements??  Those 3 guys especially would require some stellar scouting gem find, or a move in FA.

In 2018-2019 we were exceptional at finding the unwanted cast-offs and couch-sitters that we could get good deals on in FA.  Guys that turned out to be amazing: Maston, Taylor, M.Jones, etc.  Haven't done that much lately.

It's a tricky situation, that's for sure.  KW in FA, and scouts down south, are going to have to step up and repeat their magic if we want to not only maintain our level of greatness, but get even better to ensure the cup win.

the issue with Clements is that we have to find a linebacker replacement for Bighill likely for after this upcoming season. I'm not sure Clements is that guy. I think Cole, who we have resigned, can back up Wilson. If they feel that Clements can step into a start mlb then sign him but otherwise we should be looking,
Bailey it simply comes down to what we do with Shoen. If we resign then likely nothing is left for Bailey. With L'orange and Wolistarski likely we resign one, I was impressed wtih Murphy and hoplefully he progresses.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on January 15, 2024, 05:49:13 PM
Woli and Orange are solid ratio guys.  I expect at least one here next year.  If we lose one, we step up to keep the other.  If one signs before FA, we likely lose the other, unless everyone else likes their Nat WR depth, and the offers don't make sense taking into account the post season cheques they have received here.

Easy choice, Woli is a solid glue guy that plays his role well and BOLO never got his foot in the door and needs to look for a better opportunity elsewhere.  Not a lot of opportunities for Natl. receivers to start, so no guarantee either would achieve that if they went elsewhere.  Daniel Petermann has been in the league for 4 years and has never graduated beyond backup.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 16, 2024, 06:02:41 PM
Easy choice, Woli is a solid glue guy that plays his role well and BOLO never got his foot in the door and needs to look for a better opportunity elsewhere.  Not a lot of opportunities for Natl. receivers to start, so no guarantee either would achieve that if they went elsewhere.  Daniel Petermann has been in the league for 4 years and has never graduated beyond backup.

Hiding the seventh Nat at the fifth WR is a common thing for many teams, and BOO should be able to find that spot somewhere, if he wants.  Will it be for a bigger paycheck than here?  Maybe.  Will his prospects of post season money be as good as here?  Probably not.  For the guys earning ELC or near min salaries, that GC win cheque is like a 50% bonus.  Plus, getting to be on a championship team, playing every week in a situation to win, that's gotta be a lot better job that making a few bucks more guaranteed in an environment that sucks, with a facility that sucks, in a city that sucks.. (yeah, even with the cold/mosquitos, I like Winnipeg best).
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

One option for shedding some dollars if we sign a big contract would be letting Woli walk and then putting BOO in his place (I'm just assuming we could sign him for a little less).
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on January 17, 2024, 04:12:25 PM
One option for shedding some dollars if we sign a big contract would be letting Woli walk and then putting BOO in his place (I'm just assuming we could sign him for a little less).

Don't think there would be much savings, I don't think Woli makes much, he might be around $105k a price a lot of Natl. journeyman seem to plateau.  He's well worth the price for what he contributes.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 17, 2024, 06:08:38 PM
Don't think there would be much savings, I'm don't think Woli makes much, he might be around $105k a price a lot of Natl. journeyman seem to plateau.  He's well worth the price for what he contributes.

Definitely wouldn't be much, but you're also not finding lump sums anywhere, there would have to be a series of moves saving you 10-20k a piece (imo).
My wife is amazing!

Pete

Quote from: Jesse on January 17, 2024, 07:24:34 PM
Definitely wouldn't be much, but you're also not finding lump sums anywhere, there would have to be a series of moves saving you 10-20k a piece (imo).
i think you right, some long term vets might not be affordable
Briggs.
Thomas
Rose
Bailey or Wolitarski
Gautier
Exume
Grey
Castillo
Really the only bigger contracts we could shed is Hardwick and Jeffcoat (with Jeffcoat wed have to replace hime with another higher contract)

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on January 17, 2024, 08:19:47 PM
i think you right, some long term vets might not be affordable
Briggs.
Thomas
Rose
Bailey or Wolitarski
Gautier
Exume
Grey
Castillo
Really the only bigger contracts we could shed is Hardwick and Jeffcoat (with Jeffcoat wed have to replace hime with another higher contract)

Can't fool around with Castillo, need to get him inked.  He may not be Medlock, but he's steady good and would be hard to replace with a competent unknown FG kicker that doesn't melt under pressure.  Sure hope they go in a different direction with the punter this season, I don't like his style or the results!

blue_gold_84

Getting Castillo re-signed is a must, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 17, 2024, 08:38:09 PM
Can't fool around with Castillo, need to get him inked.  He may not be Medlock, but he's steady good and would be hard to replace with a competent unknown FG kicker that doesn't melt under pressure.  Sure hope they go in a different direction with the punter this season, I don't like his style or the results!

Different direction at punter...  I see what you did there... but the problem was too many directions at punter... still, kinda interested to see where the experiment goes...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Castillo is a must.
Whoever the punter was was a bust. Adequate.  Could be worse.

Noeller

Ya Castillo to me is a massive need. I pulled for Lieggho, but the lack of anxiety over PK last year was so nice and I don't want to go back to the other way.