Let's not get down be positive!

Started by Austin85, November 20, 2023, 04:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 21, 2023, 03:27:04 PM
Since 2019 we've been the most spoiled fan base in the CFL and it's not even close. Would it feel better winning 3 out of 4 Grey Cups? Yes. Does it really matter all that much? To me, no.

Yes, it absolutely matters; but, no, we shouldn't be calling for firings and retirements after 4 straight Cup appearances.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Next year will not be easy, both the Bombers and the Argos will feel they underachieved this season in not becoming CFL champions.  I expect next year will be very competitive with each team trying to establish themselves as the top team worthy of the crown. 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 21, 2023, 04:05:50 PM
Next year will not be easy, both the Bombers and the Argos will feel they underachieved this season in not becoming CFL champions.  I expect next year will be very competitive with each team trying to establish themselves as the top team worthy of the crown. 
how does this different from any other year?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2023, 03:50:38 PM
Yes, it absolutely matters; but, no, we shouldn't be calling for firings and retirements after 4 straight Cup appearances.

I am on the same page. It absolutely matters. Retain the good talent and find great replacements where needed is what we need to do.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 21, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
how does this different from any other year?

Assuming the Argos were the best team in the league this year, if they get even better next year with the players they retain and the Bombers stay about the same with considerable roster changes they need to make, it could easily be 3 G.C. appearances without a win.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 21, 2023, 05:48:02 PM
Assuming the Argos were the best team in the league this year, if they get even better next year with the players they retain and the Bombers stay about the same with considerable roster changes they need to make, it could easily be 3 G.C. appearances without a win.

I can see the Argos being worse next year now that they have to pay Kelly his new contract.

Other teams will hopefully not be as inept next season either.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2023, 06:14:08 PM
I can see the Argos being worse next year now that they have to pay Kelly his new contract.

Other teams will hopefully not be as inept next season either.
hopefully other teams can scalp the Argos of some of there talent especially on defence and get stronger for once.

Lincoln Locomotive

The Als were picked by most of the media and other football pundits (including myself and many on this forum) to have virtually zero chance of being in this years GC.  They didn't have an owner and when the free agency window opened many of their best players including Harris and Lewis bolted to other teams.    Danny Maccocia picked up the pieces that remained and somehow cobbled together a team despite the Als being on the verge of being taken over by the CFL.    They started the season slowly as just about everyone predicted and with newly acquired head coach Maas and QB, Fjardo they struggled mightily.  Subsequently, most of us on this forum including me, wrote them off.    Then about halfway through the season they picked up Lemon and then Sankey and their D which was still pretty good became even better and with Fjardo playing the role of game manager,  got on an 8 game win streak and they peaked at the right time winning  the SF, WF and GC!    You got a sense by their pre game interviews during GC week, that they were a very confident team, not as arrogant and cocky as the Argos (gosh dang them) were last season....grrrr!

Having said all that it could easily be opined that this years GC winner had the most impressive and dramatic turnaround season in CFL history!   Our Bombers, in comparison, are no where near where the Als were early on, however they will look different next season.   How much different still remains to be seen, yet obviously we need to make a move to get younger and even hungrier.  Other teams, including BC and Toronto will be highly motivated to avenge their losses.   The Als will also be right there as contenders as I don't think they will be one and done or just a flash in the pan. The Elks will be better next season with Tre Ford as their starter from TC forward.  Both the Riders and the Stamps can't get much worse, albeit schools still out on that score.  We will most likely still be a contender given the depth we have on this team however sometimes you need to bring in some younger horses to carry the load.

I would be dishonest if I didn't admit that I was bitterly disappointed this year, again, however I noticed that the sun actually did rise these last few days despite our epic loss....which though bitterly disappointing, wasn't really that much of a surprise to me.  What WAS a surprise was HOW they won and the fact that Cody Fjardo finally stepped up and proved all his doubters, detractors, haters, including many of us (myself included) on this forum et al ad infinitum ad nauseum, that he COULD find the "right stuff" to win a championship, despite his dubious and underwhelming track record.   In the 11th hour with under two minutes remaining and down 3 points, it wasn't the Als defence who lead them to the Promised Land.....no, it was their supposed "anemic" offence lead by none other than wait for it, Cody Fjardo that magnificently and courageously rose to the challenge and snatched victory from the jaws of our usually stout bend but don't break defence,  leaving the Bombers and their fans broken, stunned, angry and defeated! 

Like the sun in the east, the Bombers will very likely rise again next season and our incredibly loyal, knowledgeable and undisputed LOUDEST fans in the CFL, will be right behind them every step of their journey back to the Promise Land!!

Peace out Sisters and Brothers!!
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 21, 2023, 10:43:04 PM
In the 11th hour with under two minutes remaining and down 3 points, it wasn't the Als defence who lead them to the Promised Land.....no, it was their supposed "anemic" offence that rose to the challenge and snatched victory from the jaws of our usually stout bend but don't break defence,  leaving the Bombers and their fans broken, stunned, angry and defeated! 

We had them stopped on that final drive, but "3 down territory" gave them that, basically, hail mary 3rd down mid-range pass attempt.  It was a miracle catch by (I think, haven't rewatched yet) arguably the best WR in the league, on an iffy Cody throw.  They hadn't even made FG range for their iffy kicker.  It's a low percentage play and they bet the farm on it.  One could say on that pass Cody (and the WR) got lucky.  But football often does come down to luck -- the football gods, as they say.  Maybe it was the much-vaunted and much-maligned Cody "Jesus Sprinkles".
Never go full Rider!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 21, 2023, 11:57:33 PM
We had them stopped on that final drive, but "3 down territory" gave them that, basically, hail mary 3rd down mid-range pass attempt.  It was a miracle catch by (I think, haven't rewatched yet) arguably the best WR in the league, on an iffy Cody throw.  They hadn't even made FG range for their iffy kicker.  It's a low percentage play and they bet the farm on it.  One could say on that pass Cody (and the WR) got lucky.  But football often does come down to luck -- the football gods, as they say.  Maybe it was the much-vaunted and much-maligned Cody "Jesus Sprinkles".
Yeah, agreed but they had the guts to go for the win and not the first down.   They schemed against Parker most of the game, and on that throw he was clearly beaten and had he turned his back he might have had a shot at breaking it up....but he played it safe and went for the tackle making no attempt at going for the ball.   Calvillo schemed that perfectly and they  were clearly in FG range.  But then the dagger was thrust deep into our chests with that clutch throw at the goal line to Philpott.....this time it was Houston who got beat.   It wasn't pretty and yes some balls were under thrown....however it takes guts to go for glory and they played to win....and they did!   Despite my anger and frustration at the end, I had to admire that!
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

I think back to all the dominant CGY years between 2010-2020, and all of their GC appearances.  They also lost some, sometimes in spectacular manner while on O.  The famous CGY "choke jobs".

But they tended to get back to the big game, and I think in their final appearance they did pull out the W.

We may not be at EDM 1980ish level, but we're certainly as good or better than CGY 2010-2020 level.  And we all used to be jealous of CGY, even with the jibes at their choking.  We all wanted to have a team as good as them, that managed to be good year after year no matter who they lost.  Well, we have that team now, and we're the team everyone wants to have.  And we can be happy with that.

It's hard to win the West, even harder to win the WDF, and hardest of all to win the GC.  2 for 4 is better than the 2011 0 for 1.  If people were putting money down right now, they'd probably pick WPG as the favorite to make it 3 for 5 in 363 days.
Never go full Rider!

Blitzer

The Bombers have a good front office, great fans and a lot of really good players. They're going to be good for many years yet. They ran into a Montreal team that was playing like they were possessed. They were a different team than when the Bombers played them earlier. But things like that happen in team sports. If it was 2 out of 3, I think the Bombers would have caught on and made the adjustments. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I expect Bombers to be stronger next year.

buckzumhoff

I hope they sign Dru Brown. The Bombers had a good year won almost every game. Played well. But they got to sign certain players. Brown showed he can play very accurate and smart qb.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: buckzumhoff on November 23, 2023, 12:12:04 AM
I hope they sign Dru Brown. The Bombers had a good year won almost every game. Played well. But they got to sign certain players. Brown showed he can play very accurate and smart qb.
This....by John Hodge is an excellent piece

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/22/zach-collaros-in-right-situation-dru-brown-could-be-best-qb-in-cfl/
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blitzer on November 22, 2023, 09:57:03 PM
The Bombers have a good front office, great fans and a lot of really good players. They're going to be good for many years yet. They ran into a Montreal team that was playing like they were possessed. They were a different team than when the Bombers played them earlier. But things like that happen in team sports. If it was 2 out of 3, I think the Bombers would have caught on and made the adjustments. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I expect Bombers to be stronger next year.

If it's any consolation (and it's not) I'm confident the Bombers will kick the Als. through the bedroom window next time they meet.