Andrew Harris to retire & TOR@HAM

Started by TecnoGenius, September 08, 2023, 07:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

No thread for the Sept 4 TOR@HAM game?  Makes for a boring really late watch on my part...

I just heard in this game broadcast (1st Q) Rod Smith say it's AH's final season, he's finally retiring.  News to me, but I guess it must have been on 3down or something.  Disappointed no one made a thread here for this yet!  Has everyone quit on AH33?  Rod also said AH will be coaching in junior football in BC.  Makes sense, though I'm wondering why WFC didn't have a post-CFL role for him...

Surely AH33 is a future ring of honor @IGF guy?

Now, onto the TOR@HAM game.  What's up with the new HAM logo in the chyron and on the field?  Is that just a big H now?  No more cats?  I guess they're trying to look tougher, or are they stealing the "one letter" idea from us?  ;D

"For The H" just doesn't seem to have the same ring to it.  :o :P
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Re:  Harris.  I believe he served Winnipeg well and deserves kudos for everything he did here.  Whatever accolades he gets from playing with the Bombers he deserves.

The Bombers and Harris could not agree on his resigning with the team and he accepted an offer from TO because he wanted to play.  I have no problem with that.

I'm not sure what the controversy is over this.  It is what happens in pro sports.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Stretch

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2023, 07:11:30 AM

I just heard in this game broadcast (1st Q) Rod Smith say it's AH's final season, he's finally retiring.  News to me, but I guess it must have been on 3down or something.  Disappointed no one made a thread here for this yet!

Harris announced this some time ago, before the season I believe.

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2023, 07:11:30 AM

Now, onto the TOR@HAM game.  What's up with the new HAM logo in the chyron and on the field?  Is that just a big H now?  No more cats?  I guess they're trying to look tougher, or are they stealing the "one letter" idea from us?  ;D

"For The H" just doesn't seem to have the same ring to it.  :o :P

That's the alternate logo that goes along with the jerseys they were wearing.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Jesse

RE: Harris

He signed a 5 year contract with his old CJFL team, the V.I. Raiders to be their head of football operations and is slated to be their HC starting next year. It was in the off-season, but we certainly talked about it. His role in Toronto's offence this year makes it pretty clear that this is his last kick at the can, anyway.

https://www.hopestandard.com/sports/cfl-star-andrew-harris-coming-back-to-b-c-to-lead-his-former-junior-football-team-2087933

He is certainly a candidate for HoF and ring of honour. I am a little bitter about his exit, but that'll fade shortly and we'll all only remember the good times.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

As last weeks TOR/HAM game...Hamilton play Ottawa tonight. So maybe a thread for today's game instead, lol?
My wife is amazing!

The Zipp

i was too busy sulking over losing to the Riders...just couldn't watch any football after that.

Lincoln Locomotive

Harris leaving the Bombers was a bitter pill for me to swallow.   However that's pro sports and athletes have egos that often precede them.   We all wanted Andrew to sail into the sunset wearing Blue and Gold and for him to end his career after he played in his last GC appearance.   It's what we all wanted however it wasn't meant to be and jumped aboard the Argo ship and helped them win a Grey Cup against his former team.    He's poised to do it again and at this point in the season the Argos look poised to repeat and it may well be against us.    I never saw Harris coming back to the Bombers as a coach under the circumstances he left us....he's always played with a chip on his shoulder and I can't see him reconciling with our coaching staff.
He has an opportunity to forge a new career for himself in BC and I wish him well and thanks for the memories and for being a key factor in our back to back Grey Cups.   
Bomber fan for life

dd

Never heard he was retiring until now, but so what?? What are we supposed to post about that hasn?t already been posted dozens of times. I wish him well but wouldn?t hold my breath about him getting in the ring of honour while the present regime is still around. Wounds are still healing.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stretch on September 08, 2023, 11:52:05 AM
That's the alternate logo that goes along with the jerseys they were wearing.

Ah.  I've never seen TSN change the actual chyron logo just for a team's alternate jersey!!  That must have been a special request.  I kind of liked it, but I would miss the more traditional cat picture logo.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on September 08, 2023, 11:59:08 AM
As last weeks TOR/HAM game...Hamilton play Ottawa tonight. So maybe a thread for today's game instead, lol?

Quote from: The Zipp on September 08, 2023, 12:48:58 PM
i was too busy sulking over losing to the Riders...just couldn't watch any football after that.

This.  With the Regina stuff and travel time and catching up on work and other stuff, I'm super behind on watching last week's games.  And a little bit of "bummed out" for sure.

It's not my fault you guys who didn't travel to Regina didn't make a thread for it!  :o :P
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 08, 2023, 11:07:58 PM
Never heard he was retiring until now, but so what?? What are we supposed to post about that hasn?t already been posted dozens of times. I wish him well but wouldn?t hold my breath about him getting in the ring of honour while the present regime is still around. Wounds are still healing.

Ya, I didn't hear it until now either.  I mean I always heard the general fan chatter of "it's his last year, he's ancient", but people have said that for 3 years.  Talk of AH33 retirement always sounded a lot like talk of Tom Brady retirement...

So what do we think, does AH33 rate a ring of honor spot?  Does a player with "only" his number of years for us generally make the RoH?  Normally no?  But he did set a ton of records with us, basically willed us into our big GC appearance and win, sold the most jerseys, and was the face of the team...

The only other current player I could see making RoH is Biggie, but even he might not qualify, looking at the quality of names up on there.  But if Biggie stays, and stays effective, another 2-3 seasons, maybe?
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Legend, one of the best Canadian backs ever and the best Bomber back imo

All due respect to Blink

dd

There?s no disputing his accomplishments, how he bled blue and gold and being a hometown boy and all, but he left in a huff in a riff with the club, I just don?t see it happening. It?s called the ring of honour, and he didn?t display honour in his dealings with management. I say he doesn?t get in until miller, Walter and OShea move on and maybe not even then.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on September 09, 2023, 01:36:15 AM
There?s no disputing his accomplishments, how he bled blue and gold and being a hometown boy and all, but he left in a huff in a riff with the club, I just don?t see it happening. It?s called the ring of honour, and he didn?t display honour in his dealings with management. I say he doesn?t get in until miller, Walter and OShea move on and maybe not even then.

Hmm, that's an interesting take.  I always just thought of it as "ring of super all-star longevity player",

I'm not as concerned about whether the Can Mafia will give RoH to him; I'm more wondering if he deserves to be there based on the general standard.  i.e. Will he ever make it up there (regardless of regime).
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb