Returners

Started by tlf, September 07, 2023, 02:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on September 07, 2023, 04:51:50 PM
Burtenshaw back on PR, maybe it means Miller is back? Any news on him?

McCrae on PR, should mean we are debuting the new KR/WR/DB guy - Blackmon.

I'm not sure either of those will happen.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2023, 04:48:15 PM
Nothing would have prevented him from covering his bets and bringing in players on the PR to evaluate. Whether they thought Grant would be back or not, wouldn't have changed that idea.

I don't disagree but for every player added to the PR somebody has to be deleted, adding to the chance they will be signed by other teams mooching off the Bombers scouting and development.  The PR can't be treated as an open carousel for tryouts, it's for future development of prospects and it wouldn't be fair to players who have invested a lot of time for little reward if they're kicked off the end of the bench.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2023, 06:12:42 PM
I don't disagree but for every player added to the PR somebody has to be deleted, adding to the chance they will be signed by other teams mooching off the Bombers scouting and development.  The PR can't be treated as an open carousel for tryouts, it's for future development of prospects and it wouldn't be fair to players who have invested a lot of time for little reward if they're kicked off the end of the bench.

Teams do that all the time. The Bombers are reluctant. When you have injuries you may need the players needed on the PR based on those injuries.

Fair doesn't come into the equation IMO. We currently have 17 players on our PR ( maximum allowed ).

If Hansen returns this week it will bump Maruo. Maruo in turn might bump 1 of 3 global players on our PR as an example.

O'Shea already has said Clements will be added to AR. Haba or Blackmon still to be decided. That may result in 3 more players on AR being moved. That means either to IR or PR. I'm not aware of any injuries so we may see somebody being released outright.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2023, 07:31:44 PM
Teams do that all the time. The Bombers are reluctant. When you have injuries you may need the players needed on the PR based on those injuries.

Fair doesn't come into the equation IMO. We currently have 17 players on our PR ( maximum allowed ).

If Hansen returns this week it will bump Maruo. Maruo in turn might bump 1 of 3 global players on our PR as an example.

O'Shea already has said Clements will be added to AR. Haba or Blackmon still to be decided. That may result in 3 more players on AR being moved. That means either to IR or PR. I'm not aware of any injuries so we may see somebody being released outright.

Parker likely being one of them that gets shuffled, can't be using up 2 spots for returners.  They need to get Haba back into the mix asap.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2023, 07:31:44 PM

Ugh, what does Clements buy us?  Does that fix a perceived (by us fans) need?  Wilson is monster.  In the rare event of injury we can put one of the NATs in.  The rotation with the NATs on pure pass plays works pretty well as it is.

I would dress Jackson over Clements, if it comes down to a choice like that.  And Haba.  And...
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2023, 08:44:22 PM
Parker likely being one of them that gets shuffled, can't be using up 2 spots for returners.  They need to get Haba back into the mix asap.

We did that last week. Parker is also a DB that can be used on defence whether there is an injury or not. Blackmon will only have 2 actual practices. A bit risky not knowing what he can do.

Clements being added for ST's and replacing Cole more on defensive sets. I'd think there might be a chance that Cole is taken off the AR. At least as a choice.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2023, 10:27:15 PM
We did that last week. Parker is also a DB that can be used on defence whether there is an injury or not. Blackmon will only have 2 actual practices. A bit risky not knowing what he can do.

Clements being added for ST's and replacing Cole more on defensive sets. I'd think there might be a chance that Cole is taken off the AR. At least as a choice.

Remember how fielding brand new nobodies named Lucky and Grant worked for us that year?   ;D ;D  Didn't they both have monster returns within 1-2 games?  I say throw the new guy into the fire immediately.  At least it will make the opponent less confident they can just hose our weak returner with impunity.

Clements on ST: ah, yes, I can see value there.  Bench Cole, put in Clements.  Yes, I'd rather have Clements there on ST and rotation than Cole.  And he's earned it.
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 07, 2023, 10:36:55 PM
Remember how fielding brand new nobodies named Lucky and Grant worked for us that year?   ;D ;D  Didn't they both have monster returns within 1-2 games?  I say throw the new guy into the fire immediately.  At least it will make the opponent less confident they can just hose our weak returner with impunity.

Clements on ST: ah, yes, I can see value there.  Bench Cole, put in Clements.  Yes, I'd rather have Clements there on ST and rotation than Cole.  And he's earned it.

As long as he has speed and can hold onto the ball, he may have a job for awhile.  Drop one and he might have a short leash.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 07, 2023, 10:27:15 PM

....and lost the game, a large factor being the inept return game, Parker had his chance and did not deliver.  Hallett and Exume dress for every game, if there is an in-game injury they have the flexibility to shuffle and make do.

kkc60

it really feels as though the Canadian Mafia has missed on some roles that usually are pretty obvious to fill and it?s biting roster construction to some degree. A fullback who can play the odd offensive snap, Canadians who can play STs and a backup returner are relatively common parts of a team, but it appears the ball has been dropped on getting guys to fill any of those roles.

pjrocksmb

Clements is good and will help on D

We more more bodies back to help on ST coverage

I'm nervous with a new returner without enough practice

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 07, 2023, 09:02:53 PM
Ugh, what does Clements buy us?  Does that fix a perceived (by us fans) need?  Wilson is monster.  In the rare event of injury we can put one of the NATs in.  The rotation with the NATs on pure pass plays works pretty well as it is.

I would dress Jackson over Clements, if it comes down to a choice like that.  And Haba.  And...
My order of choices are

Clements then Haba and Jackson is a coin flip

TecnoGenius

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 08, 2023, 01:51:05 AM

Catch ball.
Secure ball.
Run north fast.
Don't fumble.

If they've ever returned before at all, slotting into a new team should be somewhat easy.  Ya, they won't know all the blocking schemes and whatever (yet), but they can't do worse than the non-returners we have now, assuming they tick all the above boxes.
Never go full Rider!

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 08, 2023, 01:59:41 AM
Catch ball.
Secure ball.
Run north fast.
Don't fumble.

If they've ever returned before at all, slotting into a new team should be somewhat easy.  Ya, they won't know all the blocking schemes and whatever (yet), but they can't do worse than the non-returners we have now, assuming they tick all the above boxes.

Ask Edm fans about a returner with little *CFL* experience... Sims not running out a rouge...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

kkc60

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 08, 2023, 01:51:05 AM
Clements is good and will help on D

We more more bodies back to help on ST coverage

My order of choices are

Clements then Haba and Jackson is a coin flip
Haba and Jackson shouldn?t be a coin flip. Unfortunately the lack of preparation in case our 34 year old fullback got injured has suddenly made it debatable whether a backup fullback whose only usage is blocking  is more useful than a 24 year old rookie DE who had 3 sacks in what, 4 games?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 07, 2023, 11:17:20 PM
....and lost the game, a large factor being the inept return game, Parker had his chance and did not deliver.  Hallett and Exume dress for every game, if there is an in-game injury they have the flexibility to shuffle and make do.

Parker replaced Darby as far as the ratio for an extra import DB. Whether he remains as a returner is not part of that equation. Expecting Hallett or Exume to be the only injury replacement to cover for injury? I hope not.
2019 Grey Cup Champions