Special teams, Special teams and No.8

Started by Austin85, September 04, 2023, 03:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin85

I said it before i will say it again terrible special teams. I know Grant is out but coverage sucks , kicks shallow and tackling brutal. Not to mention we need Grant back cause none can return kickoffs or punts in his absence. No.8 has played terrible now for few games now. I know we won some of those games, but he isn't mvp material to me ..

Austin85

We won't have a chance at winning a championship with special teams play like we have been

1chad

Our cover teams are giving up an extra 10-15 yards per kick, with a big return thrown in to keep things spicy  :-\

BLUEBOMBER

Our special teams have lost so many games for us over the years. The worst was last year's Grey Cup. Our special teams coordinator should have been let go many years ago.

Blue72

Why don't they Augustine on returns, as he is only playing ST only. Good speed and he should know how to catch a ball being a RB.

The Zipp

Not that I condone the action but honestly a bit surprised nobody from the bombers (mostly oline) didn't go after Robertson after that cheap shot head butt. Some would expect that should have triggered a brawl.

Kudos to them for not losing it on that piece of trash in a green uniform.

Some would also think MOS should have met Craig at centre field with a linebacker tackle.  Maybe when he gets older he can beat him with his cane at an event. 

Blue In BC

There didn't seem to be any effort to find a new returner on our PR. Stagnent when it was obviously a problem immediately after Grant was injured.

I'm still not sold on our punter.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 04, 2023, 01:28:50 PM
They didn't seem to be any effort to find a new returner on our PR. Stagnent when it was obviously a problem immediately after Grant was injured.

I'm still not sold on our punter.
McCrae had that one missed FG return for a TD and was then anointed as our replacement for Grant.    From that point on he has mostly struggled and looked uncomfortable fielding both punts and KOs.   It hasn't helped that our cover teams on both KOs and punts always seem to give up a big return at the wrong time providing our opponent with momentum swings.   In this game it became glaringly evident just how bad our STs are and when we play the Argos we simply can't give them those huge momentum swings and Leake will have a field day.
Bomber fan for life

The Zipp

Someone is winning a million bucks from save on foods during that Toronto \ Winnipeg game.  Leake has a legit chance of returning 2 against us and our sorry coverage teams. 

Pigskin

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 04, 2023, 01:53:15 PM
McCrae had that one missed FG return for a TD and was then anointed as our replacement for Grant.    From that point on he has mostly struggled and looked uncomfortable fielding both punts and KOs.   It hasn't helped that our cover teams on both KOs and punts always seem to give up a big return at the wrong time providing our opponent with momentum swings.   In this game it became glaringly evident just how bad our STs are and when we play the Argos we simply can't give them those huge momentum swings and Leake will have a field day.

That was a big return, but it wasn't for a TD.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Pigskin on September 04, 2023, 03:20:29 PM

That was a big return, but it wasn't for a TD.
OK...right you are...he got close but that was his best return.
Bomber fan for life

Horseman

Quote from: Austin85 on September 04, 2023, 03:26:46 AM
We won't have a chance at winning a championship with special teams play like we have been

Yes, unfortunately this is true. From my observations, I see our cover teams running down field and not getting off the blockers (shedding the blocker) and then being pushed out of the way when the ball carrier arrives. They need to get by the blocker by deviating from going straight down the field. I know they have to maintain their lanes but no one said you are only allowed to run straight down the field and be blocked, make some moves on the blocker and shove them out of the way. On cover teams you need to have the mentality of wanting to get down fast and make the tackle and not be blocked, other than Miller we don't have that.

Waffler

Let's just go back to punts with max hang time and predictable landing points.  
Maybe somebody would be there to make a tackle.

The kickoff coverage is just shameful. We are no longer winning all 3 phases of the game and if the offense ain't going we get in big trouble.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

dd

With such brutal cover teams, why aren?t we just punting the ball out of bounds inside the 20???

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on September 04, 2023, 05:28:21 PM
With such brutal cover teams, why aren?t we just punting the ball out of bounds inside the 20???

That's a penalty. Inside the 10 yard line now. However it's better than letting the returner take it to mid field.

There is no depth chart for cover or return teams. Who are the weakest links and what can we do to replace those players?
2019 Grey Cup Champions