Special teams, Special teams and No.8

Started by Austin85, September 04, 2023, 03:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Coverage will only get better when Hansen, Ford, and Miller get back in the lineup.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

dd

Very true. They can?t get back soon enough !!

Pete

I'm not sure we can wait, we don't seem to be making any adjustments to our kickoff coverage teams,, scheme or personnel wise. If we can't execute as a special teams unit one or two players will not change that
We keep low driving kicks to the same area and consistently getting the same results. If this happened on offence or defense we'd all be questioning the coaching. We need to change what we are doing. Other teams are making contact before we get to the thirty...we seem to be not in the vicinity till the 35, leaving sidelines consistently open.( Just watched toronto make contact at the 20 yard line)
Its now cost us a game.

3rdand1.5

Waiting for guys to get healthy is not a winning strategy.

Our special teams have to be either the worst or close to the worst league wise. Short of Castillo our special teams are bad....
We are a very very good team, but not good enough to overcome the poor play of our special teams. One could argue that they have cost a loss and make a solid case that they will cost us more losses as the season progress.

Imagine loosing the West Semi or final due to specials that were exposed 10 weeks earlier........

DM83

Ok let?s

#31, 47, 34 there is three guys non contributors running by the returner, or so late to the tackle the play is over.  If we cut those guys no one would even know.

Who else is in coverage?

What pisses me off is that coverage teams is just pride desire and hustle.  Can you identify anyone who actually wants to be a special teams tackler this year?

blue_or_die

Quote from: Pigskin on September 04, 2023, 06:50:11 PM
Coverage will only get better when Hansen, Ford, and Miller get back in the lineup.

Those are all great STers and can be difference makers, for sure, but in a phase of the game where it?s such a team effort, failure is laying on coaching. Coverage is teeerrrrrrible, and although I don?t think McCrae or Parker are special returners by any means, our blocking schemes haven?t exactly opened up the field for them either.

I think we have an ST gameplan/coaching problem.
#Ride?

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 04, 2023, 08:54:30 PM
Those are all great STers and can be difference makers, for sure, but in a phase of the game where it?s such a team effort, failure is laying on coaching. Coverage is teeerrrrrrible, and although I don?t think McCrae or Parker are special returners by any means, our blocking schemes haven?t exactly opened up the field for them either.

I think we have an ST gameplan/coaching problem.
Didn't MOS intervene last season?   He should now as it's gotten to a point where it's embarrassingly bad
Bomber fan for life

blue_or_die

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on September 04, 2023, 09:00:16 PM
Didn't MOS intervene last season?   He should now as it's gotten to a point where it's embarrassingly bad

I?m not sure if or when MOS was involved, but imo he?s at least partially to blame if a) he?s had a role in this squad?s performance or b) he hasn?t yet tried to intervene to improve this unit.
#Ride?

pjrocksmb

We are struggling big time but once 100% healthy we will be fine

Schemes and punting issues are more difficult to fix

Quote from: The Zipp on September 04, 2023, 04:53:16 AM
Not that I condone the action but honestly a bit surprised nobody from the bombers (mostly oline) didn't go after Robertson after that cheap shot head butt. Some would expect that should have triggered a brawl.

Kudos to them for not losing it on that piece of trash in a green uniform.

Some would also think MOS should have met Craig at centre field with a linebacker tackle.  Maybe when he gets older he can beat him with his cane at an event. 
Brady stopped the big boys from doing so.  They can get their revenge later when the camera isn't watching.  I also don't condone this behavior but he will get what's coming to him.

3rdand1.5

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 04, 2023, 09:24:17 PM

This argument IMO can't be made any longer, we can no longer afford to wait.

In a tight race in the West we can't afford to wait, with 3 losses we don't have the luxury of a cushion to wait it out. We need to win now or risk not hosting the West Final

Pete

we gave up over 150 more yards on returns...237 for sask 84 on us, their average return was double ours. Special teams have usually been an indicator of a teams intensity

Blue72

MOS has said that he doesn't like making changes during a season and goes with guys that were in camp including coaches. He has proved that he hangs on to guys to long before making change eg: Hurl

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Pete on September 04, 2023, 11:08:55 PM
we gave up over 150 more yards on returns...237 for sask 84 on us, their average return was double ours. Special teams have usually been an indicator of a teams intensity

A very telling stat....that's a lot of real estate to give your opponent.  You can easily see that this is costing us big time.....it's also a huge momentum killer when we score a TD and then lose whatever momentum we gained by letting them run it back to mid field on the ensuing KO!    
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 04, 2023, 09:24:17 PM

That's dumb. We're never going to be 100% healthy. And we're as close to it as we can possibly ask for.

If we're losing games because of a couple rando special teams guys are off the roster, we're not winning those games with them.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Austin85 on September 04, 2023, 03:26:46 AM
We won't have a chance at winning a championship with special teams play like we have been

LOL :D
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず