#3 QB up for grabs

Started by Lincoln Locomotive, June 02, 2023, 03:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lincoln Locomotive

Jones vs Pigrome and I'd have to give the nod at this time to Pigrome based on his big plays in game one.   The knock on Pigrome is his size however at 5'9" and 200 lbs. he is built like a tank and his running style is impressive.    He can also heave the rock so he gives us options on 3rd down as did his predecessors, DP and CS who were both big QBs and could also run.   
It will be worth watching what Dru Brown can bring to the table as well and i'm pretty sure he will get most of the reps to see what he can do against a pretty impressive defensive lineup of mostly starters.   I know Darren Bauming is really high on him, yet for me, schools out whether or not he can develop into a blue chip #1 QB....hoping Darren's right and I'm off base
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Wondering Pigrome's short yardage game.  Does being a bowling ball help or hinder the sneak?  Do they have to make a special version of the sneak for his size/shape?  Strev and Prukop could lean over the line and reach for the first down, TP3 is going to have to slash through.  Will be interesting to see.  And it looks like he is capable of the "one step towards the LOS to freeze the LB/DB, and then drop back and chuck it" that worked so well for CS17...

And please, can we call him TP3, TyPi or something other than Piggy? 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

O'Shea suggested that Jones makes good reads and effective decisions. So he might have the edge as a passer at the moment. Whether that's important for our 3rd string QB is a question. It's not like he will get into games often or be asked to throw many passes. Jones is obviously bigger but how effective is he as a short yardage QB?

Good chance we keep the 4th QB on the PR although we didn't do that IIRC in 2022?

2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: theaardvark on June 02, 2023, 03:36:42 PM
Wondering Pigrome's short yardage game.  Does being a bowling ball help or hinder the sneak?  Do they have to make a special version of the sneak for his size/shape?  Strev and Prukop could lean over the line and reach for the first down, TP3 is going to have to slash through.  Will be interesting to see.  And it looks like he is capable of the "one step towards the LOS to freeze the LB/DB, and then drop back and chuck it" that worked so well for CS17...

I like Piggy actually lol

Pigskin

We didn't get much of a look at Jones. In practice he seems to roll out well and can throw on the run. It looks like he has a better arm then Pigrome.  But that's practice. Pigrome, has already proven he can't run, and is good in the shortage situations.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on June 02, 2023, 05:34:10 PM
We didn't get much of a look at Jones. In practice he seems to roll out well and can throw on the run. It looks like he has a better arm then Pigrome.  But that's practice. Pigrome, has already proven he can't run, and is good in the shortage situations.

You meant Pigrome CAN run. O'Shea said he has a strong arm as well. That 34 yard pass to Murphy looked impressive. Arm strength is important but making the right reads and throwing accurately are more important.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

GOLDMEMBER

I look forward to Piggy impressing today!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 02, 2023, 06:35:11 PM
You meant Pigrome CAN run. O'Shea said he has a strong arm as well. That 34 yard pass to Murphy looked impressive. Arm strength is important but making the right reads and throwing accurately are more important.

I saw signs of intelligence and understanding in Piggums which is the biggest obstacle to overcome for a new QB in the CFL.  Easy enough to run wild or throw blindly to a designated spot, much more difficult to read the situation, interpret the chaos and complete the pass to an open receiver.  We need more evidence, but I liked what I saw in game #1.

Lincoln Locomotive

It already looks like Pigrone's nickname will follow him wherever he lands up....I've also seen a few variations of it as well.   
Bomber fan for life

Lincoln Locomotive

I'm betting on Tyrell as #3.....Dru Brown is looking over his shoulder.    Dru Brown is a pocket passer with not much escapabilty potential and an average arm.    For me Dru Brown is meh and Tyrell is *** was that!!  
Yeah.....he had one march against Ottawa to win a game which is a very very small sample size of work.    Against BC he threw a couple of pick sixes and we lost that game.....he's not very big either at 5'11" and 195 lbs.    

Tyrell is 5'9" and 200 pounds so somewhat more put together and based on his sample size of work in two games should definitively have a lock on #3 QB.    I feel for Jones who never really had and opportunity as the Riders were able to run at will with all 3 QBs and ate up most of the 4th quarter with their last TD drive.

We should really get after Lemon who was cut in BC as I still have concerns about our front 4 and their ability to stop the run.     This was on full display in both games with our starters in Edmonton and with our backups tonight.

Also the Riders really went after Houston who was beat on a few TDs....BLM will be watching that game film and will likely try and exploit him next week.

Nobody kicked well enough to dislodge Legghio as our punter either so he might still have a spot with us.....but he botched his first punt and kicked it out of bounds resulting in a 10 yard penalty.

Pigrone was our leading rusher and passer and created a lot of excitement when on the field.....

There will be some hard decisions to be made by the Bomber braintrust this weekend.....
Bomber fan for life

Pigskin

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on June 02, 2023, 03:36:42 PM

Yikes, TP will be worse than Piggy!!  :o  Everytime he gets a TD fans throw rolls of TP on the field??

As for the roster, I don't see how you release Piggy after 2 great performances.  I think he's a keeper.

Let's keep in mind the OL's were horrifically awful and bad (hopefully against SSK starters!!) for all the QBs tonight.  Brown was treading water, that other QB (Jones?) stunk the joint, but Piggy excelled.  That tells you something.

Even Zach would have looked garbage behind those OLs.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

Piggyt is his twitter handle.
And #3 up for grabs? How long before #2 is up for grabs?  Pigrome has a future. Maybe because he missed some camp I didn't see how good he was until he got into a game. He is a cool customer and makes things happen.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 03, 2023, 06:00:38 AM
Yikes, TP will be worse than Piggy!!  :o  Everytime he gets a TD fans throw rolls of TP on the field??

As for the roster, I don't see how you release Piggy after 2 great performances.  I think he's a keeper.

Let's keep in mind the OL's were horrifically awful and bad (hopefully against SSK starters!!) for all the QBs tonight.  Brown was treading water, that other QB (Jones?) stunk the joint, but Piggy excelled.  That tells you something.

Even Zach would have looked garbage behind those OLs.

Not a fair comment, it's embarrassing the limited time they gave Josh Jones and a few others to perform, maybe the last 2 min. of game one, and under 4 mins. in this game. 

Understandable that the decision has already been made, but Jones deserved a fair opportunity to demonstrate his abilities in a game, which he did not receive.  I don't understand why they didn't give him a fair chance to compete, Piggie got the 3rd Q in Edm. and got to show what he could do, why wouldn't they reverse the order and give Jones the 3rd Q in this game?