CFL: Retirements and veterans released early

Started by Blue In BC, May 10, 2023, 05:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on May 14, 2023, 05:47:19 PM
Long term injuries like a failed medical?

Francis had requested a trade due to not being able to re-negotiate his contract. Not sure if any of the 3 suspensions had injuries but they could have been 1 game IR's as veterans IIRC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 14, 2023, 02:59:16 AM
Ya, I never got the Durant hype either.  I think that's what it was: all hype.  Poof, hype is gone and he fades into oblivion.  Glad we never wasted money on the guy.

Yeah, I am glad we were shrewd enough to pass on him for Addison Richards....

https://www.cfl.ca/players/addison-richards/161508/

Have you considered employing slightly more objective criteria in player evaluation than your gut feeling?

Durant's best year was 800 yards receiving.  Addison Richards best year was 12 yards.  That's not a typo...
grab grass 'n growl

ModAdmin

Hamilton Tigercats placed all-star defensive lineman Ja'Gared Davis and American kicker Seth Small.

Davis just recently signed with Hamilton.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 14, 2023, 07:30:12 PM
Hamilton Tigercats placed all-star defensive lineman Ja'Gared Davis and American kicker Seth Small.

Davis just recently signed with Hamilton.

I knew they couldn't keep them all, the Ti-Cats D-line is absolutely stacked with talent.

Pete

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 14, 2023, 08:58:11 PM
I knew they couldn't keep them all, the Ti-Cats D-line is absolutely stacked with talent.
I wouldn't read too much into the suspension yet, often times at training camp with vets it just for a family issue  ie a wedding etc.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 14, 2023, 01:12:20 PM
Noah Hallett and C Lavigne

Tough injury breaks for Noah.  Strings of bad luck and we couldn't keep giving him chances.  They actually tried harder than usual on him.

Lavigne: I thought he was already gone.  Weird.  The life as a borderline NAT is a tough one.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on May 14, 2023, 06:08:35 PM
Yeah, I am glad we were shrewd enough to pass on him for Addison Richards....

https://www.cfl.ca/players/addison-richards/161508/

Have you considered employing slightly more objective criteria in player evaluation than your gut feeling?

Durant's best year was 800 yards receiving.  Addison Richards best year was 12 yards.  That's not a typo...

No, it's all from my memory and my gut.  I almost never check stats, sorry.  My memory is pretty good, and gut often tells me more than stats can.  It's the same reason I know Demski is a better player than his stats show.  If you just looked at stats you'd have no idea why he's a top-5 paid WR (including IMPs!) in the CFL.

Speaking of Demski, he switched teams within 1 year of Durant, and I'd say WPG got the better end of that choice.  Durant literally had one good year, and the rest he was like a Corey Watson.

I wasn't the first person on this board to bring up the over hype on Durant.  You're forgetting how the TSN guys always talked him up.  It was never that he was bad, it's that he didn't live up to the near impossible hype.  That's not his fault.  You're missing the whole point of the argument.  When he was in CGY they were trying to sell people that he was basically the league-best NAT.

Richards is a straw man argument.  No one is comparing Durant to a 3rd stringer.  That's as useful as bringing up Ekatitie.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 15, 2023, 04:30:22 AM
No, it's all from my memory and my gut.  I almost never check stats, sorry.  My memory is pretty good, and gut often tells me more than stats can.  It's the same reason I know Demski is a better player than his stats show.  If you just looked at stats you'd have no idea why he's a top-5 paid WR (including IMPs!) in the CFL.

Speaking of Demski, he switched teams within 1 year of Durant, and I'd say WPG got the better end of that choice.  Durant literally had one good year, and the rest he was like a Corey Watson.

I wasn't the first person on this board to bring up the over hype on Durant.  You're forgetting how the TSN guys always talked him up.  It was never that he was bad, it's that he didn't live up to the near impossible hype.  That's not his fault.  You're missing the whole point of the argument.  When he was in CGY they were trying to sell people that he was basically the league-best NAT.

Richards is a straw man argument.  No one is comparing Durant to a 3rd stringer.  That's as useful as bringing up Ekatitie.

Based on gut remembrance you can't really compare Durant with Cory Watson, they were not at all similar in style.  Watson was a very effective secondary receiver in the mold of Sheed or Woli  during his playing days, I would hazard a guess if he was in his prime today he could start on most teams.  Unfortunately he played so hard he was often injured, which I think is the main reason the Bombers eventually moved on from him.

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 15, 2023, 04:30:22 AM

I've seen your hot takes and gut reads here for some time, this is why i am recommending more objective criteria.  Just a suggestion....

Your memory has failed you on Cory Watson. He was a rock solid receiver with a 10 year career who consistently put up 400 yards and did a ton of dirty work in terms of blocking.  He was also a second round pick. Durant should aspire to have had a career like Watson.

And talk about straw men arguments, of what relevance is Demski?  He as highly rated from the start, was drafted in an appropriate slot, and lived up to his potential in a few years once he landed in Winnipeg.  Its not an apples to apples comparison at all.  The comparison to Addison is apt because we actually passed on Durant to draft Richards, and the proof is in the pudding as to who the better ball player was.  You said you were glad we never touched Durant, but that certainly can't be based on any kind of objective analysis, because we took an inferior player at the same position. 

The reason Durant got "hype" was because he was a physically gifted receiver who got drafted much lower than expected in a year that was really thin on receivers.  That is noteworthy, and that's why TSN and everyone was talking about it.  It is 100% accurate to say Durant never lived up to his full potential.  But to slag him off as not having had the tools, is just a lot of wind....

grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on May 15, 2023, 05:13:35 PM
I've seen your hot takes and gut reads here for some time, this is why i am recommending more objective criteria.  Just a suggestion....

Get ready for your petard...

Your memory has failed you on Cory Watson. He was a rock solid receiver with a 10 year career who consistently put up 400 yards and did a ton of dirty work in terms of blocking.  He was also a second round pick. Durant should aspire to have had a career like Watson.

You said go by stats, so I did what you recommended I do.  I took a NAT I thought of as closest to Durant from memory (Watson), and looked up the stats to compare.  They are basically the same stats. when you look at YDS and TD columns (what most people look at)!  It is actually the perfect comparison.

What you're doing is what you accuse me of, being subjective using your guts and memory.  "Rock solid receiver" and "ton of dirty work" is the definition of using your gut and your memory since it is not a column in the stats sheet.  LOL.

Excluding their rookie year and their petering-out years, both receivers were basically the same guy: every year is 300-400 yds and 1-3 TDs, and both have one aberration "star" year where they got 800 yds.  For the years-in-active-use they are the same receiver, stats-wise.  Watson just lasted longer.

Everything else, such as style of play or type of player or all other subjective measures are literally "gut feelings and memory".  But that's my whole point, and you proved it perfectly: the stats don't tell the whole story and our personal impressions of these players is often the correct take because we both watch hundreds of hours of CFL year after year and internalize things that aren't on stats sheets.  My take on Durant is pretty correct, yours on Watson is also pretty correct.  The only difference is I didn't bash you for your take.

The comparison to Addison is apt because we actually passed on Durant to draft Richards, and the proof is in the pudding as to who the better ball player was.  You said you were glad we never touched Durant, but that certainly can't be based on any kind of objective analysis, because we took an inferior player at the same position. 

You and I both know the draft is at least one half part luck.  And I didn't say or mean I wanted to DP Richards over Durant, I was referring to being glad that we never made a FA splash to get Durant.  I actually had no idea about where Durant or Richards stood in the draft, no idea we passed on Durant, and had actually completely forgotten about Richards.

The entire argument is from Aards saying Durant didn't live up to his hype.  I still 100% agree with Aards.  Durant over-promised and under-delivered.  My Demski comparison is the counter-example of UPOD, and it's still a great counter-example.  Demski was kind of Petermann-esque in SSK and that's why they just let him walk.  Fans were happy to see him go.  TSN never hyped Demski even close to how they did Durant.  Suits et al were always stroking Durant; I can't remember how many times I got so sick of hearing it during CGY vs whoever games.  Aards remembers.

But to slag him off as not having had the tools, is just a lot of wind....

I never said that.  I said I was glad we never signed big-$$ Durant (in FA).  I stand by that.  He was never a good fit for WPG, and I'm pretty sure he was never on our radar.  That would mean The Mafia agreed, too.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 15, 2023, 04:54:43 PM
Based on gut remembrance you can't really compare Durant with Cory Watson, they were not at all similar in style.  Watson was a very effective secondary receiver in the mold of Sheed or Woli  during his playing days, I would hazard a guess if he was in his prime today he could start on most teams.  Unfortunately he played so hard he was often injured, which I think is the main reason the Bombers eventually moved on from him.

I fully agree on Watson.  That wasn't my point: see my post before this one.  The argument is about living up to hype.  I would say Watson lived up to (or exceeded) his hype (which wasn't much).  The comparison to Durant is that he didn't live up to the God-level hype from TSN.

The argument from paw is that I shouldn't rely on subjective gut/memory.  But thanks to both paw and TLB, we can clearly see that gut/memory is our (and most fans') #1 go to tool.  (TLB: "not at all similar in style", "effective secondary receiver", "in the mold of...".)  And I thank you for helping me make my point to paw!
Never go full Rider!

Ridermania

Ottawa REDBLACKS announced on Tuesday morning that they have released American linebacker Patrick Levels.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Ridermania on May 16, 2023, 01:12:36 PM
Ottawa REDBLACKS announced on Tuesday morning that they have released American linebacker Patrick Levels.

I saw that. What the heck?  SMS issue?  He's a tackling machine. 58 DT's in 13 games and was 21st in the CFL stat column.  I would think there will be a new home for him soon.

Was his high number of tackles due to teams picking on him? That can be an indicator of that but it's not my specific recollection of his play. IIRC he just seemed to be a play maker.
2019 Grey Cup Champions