Blue Bombers add eight to roster - May 7, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, May 08, 2023, 12:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add eight to roster - May 7, 2023

WINNIPEG, MB., May 7, 2023 - The Blue Bombers today announce the signing of American quarterbacks Cooper Callis and Josh Jones, American linebackers Christian Dixon and Barrington Wade, American defensive end Jadrian Taylor, and three 2023 CFL Draft choices; defensive lineman Tanner Schmekel (35th overall), running back Jonathan Rosery (62nd overall) and defensive lineman Collin Kornelson (44th overall).

Callis (6-3, 215; Southwest Baptist University; born: June 8, 1999 in Jackson, MO.) played in 25 games from 2020-22 with the Bearcats, completing 68.2 percent of his passes for 7,712 yards and 73 touchdowns against 22 interceptions while rushing for 407 yards and five more scores. He began his collegiate career at Fullerton College of the California Community College Athletic Association.

Jones (6-3, 220; University of North Carolina at Pembroke; born: June 6, 2000 in Wilmington, N.C.) comes to the Blue Bombers after a collegiate career with the UNCP Braves (2018-22) that saw him suit up for 46 games as a five-year starter and four-year captain. Jones threw for 2,302 yards and 13 touchdowns last year for the Braves while rushing for 219 yards and two more scores. Over his collegiate career he threw for 10,148 yards and 70 touchdowns while ushing for 10 more.

Dixon
(6-0, 220; Middle Tennessee State: born: in Charlotte, NC) spent his collegiate days at Middle Tennessee State as a redshirt senior in 2022 after previously playing at Towson State University (2017-21). Dixon had 46 total tackles, including 5.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks and two forced fumbles last year at Middle Tennessee. In 2021 at Towson State he was named All-CAA Third Team linebacker after finishing with 73 total tackles and tying for the team lead with four sacks.

Wade (6-1, 210; University of Iowa; born: March 16, 1998 in Skokie, IL.) played in 33 games over 3 seasons (2018-21) with the Hawkeyes posting 23 tackles, 1 sack and 2 interceptions. Wade was signed by the Baltimore Ravens as an undrafted free agent in 2021, and was later claimed off waivers by the Denver Broncos. The linebacker played in four NFL games and had one tackle and one assist before joining the Bombers this season.

Taylor (6-1, 246; University of Texas at El Paso; born: February 9, 1999 in Lufkin, TX.) began his collegiate career with Kilgore College (2018-19) where the defensive end had 53 tackles, 8 sacks, and 2 forced fumbles across 21 games. He then transferred to UTEP (2020-22), where he finished with 81 tackles, 19.5 tackle-for-losses, 16 sacks, six pass breakups, two forced fumbles and a fumble return for a touchdown over 32 games. Taylor was an Honourable Mention All-Conference USA in 2021 after a stellar campaign with 33 tackles 6.5 sacks, and a pass breakup in 13 games.

Schmekel (6-2, 300, University of Regina; born: July 22, 1999, in Regina, SK) was a 2022 U SPORTS First-Team All-Canadian and Canada West All-Star. The defensive lineman started all eight Canada West games at defensive tackle in 2022, registering six tackles for loss including a pair of sacks during conference play. The three-time University of Regina Defensive Lineman of the Year finished the season with a total of 14 tackles (11 solo, 6 assisted) and a pass breakup. Schmekel redshirted with the Rams in 2017 before starting all eight games in 2018 and leading the team's linemen in tackles, finishing with 16? and adding 1? tackles for loss. He then played for the Regina Thunder (CJFL) in 2019 before returning to the Rams in 2021.

Rosery (5-9, 193, University of Alberta; born: January 16, 2000, in Edmonton, AB) was named a 2022 Canada West All-Star after amassing 536 yards on 29 receptions for two touchdowns and adding 160 more along the ground last season. In his four seasons with the Golden Bears, Rosery totalled 75 receptions for 1,151 yards and six touchdowns while adding 564 rushing yards and another score.

Kornelson (6-3, 240, University of Manitoba; born: February 14, 2000, in Winnipeg, MB) stays home, moving down the hall from his University of Manitoba locker where he was team captain in 2022. After playing his minor football for the Valour Patriots and then the St. Paul?s Crusaders, Kornelson joined the Bisons in 2019. In six games in 2021, he recorded 18.5 tackles, one sack and one tackle for a loss. He built on his totals in 2022, playing in all eight games and registered 27 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two tackles for loss.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

Sir Blue and Gold

I wonder if we spent our Dakota Prukop money on Castillo. Looks like we'll be getting a new running/short yardage QB for sure now.

Blue In BC

Hopefully CFL.CA will update all these recent signings so we can keep track of them at rookie camp. I think we're close to having everyone signed now. Something like 110 players once the roster updates are done.

Wade and Taylor sound interesting.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Nice work boys.  Glad to get more info. Thank you.

Blue In BC

CFL.CA updated roster today. However still missing a bunch of 2023 draft choice and territorial selections. Perhaps further updates coming before Wednesday.

I wonder whether our 1st pick in the global draft will be signed now after signing Castillo. Although the draft choice was a punter, Castillo will be an alternative choice as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Quote from: Ridermania on May 08, 2023, 04:49:03 PM
Bombers have signed CDN receiver Michael O'Shea.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/08/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-rec-michael-oshea-four-others/

This whole batch of 5 looks pretty interesting. In addition to O'Shea, there's another QB, a WR with NFL experience, and a 30 year old 4-year Navy Seal DE.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/08/blue-bombers-add-five-to-roster/

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Ridermania on May 08, 2023, 04:49:03 PM
Bombers have signed CDN receiver Michael O'Shea.

https://3downnation.com/2023/05/08/winnipeg-blue-bombers-sign-rec-michael-oshea-four-others/

Yikes, I was hoping Walters would avoid taking this mis-step, nepotism is hard to defend and I think it puts O'Shea in an uncomfortable position. We'll see how far this goes but if he starts displacing players with better talent or bodies more suitable to contribute to S.T., their judgement will be questioned.  OTOH he may be among the earliest cuts after rookie camp and this invite will amount to a nothing burger.

Blue In BC

Yikes, busy two days. 13 players signed today. We'll see if we have a few no shows / retirements ( rookies ) or those that fail medicals.

6 QB's are on the roster now.

Lots to sort through during rookie camp.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 08, 2023, 05:27:05 PM
Yikes, I was hoping Walters would avoid taking this mis-step, nepotism is hard to defend and I think it puts O'Shea in an uncomfortable position. We'll see how far this goes but if he starts displacing players with better talent or bodies more suitable to contribute to S.T., their judgement will be questioned.  OTOH he may be among the earliest cuts after rookie camp and this invite will amount to a nothing burger.

Not sure how talented he is, or anything about him, but is we know anything, his name may have opened the door for him, but he will have to earn a spot, even on the PR.  There are just no free spots available for legacies.

That said, there is no debating that an O'Shea heart can make up for a lot.  Wade Miller has proven what desire and  work ethic can do for a career.  And if anyone represented that kind of heart in his career, is was O'Shea the senior.

OShea the junior is going to have to work even harder than other players not named OShea, How he reacts to his unique situation and how he perfrms will decide if he sticks with the team.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Mike Jr. was a very talented player in high school for St. Paul's. Had good speed, and hands, and could make defenders miss. The last two seasons with the Okanagan Sun 19 TDs. 5 punt returns for TDs. 6'0" 183.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pigskin on May 08, 2023, 08:13:15 PM
Mike Jr. Was a very talented player in high school for St. Paul's. Had good speed, and hands, and could make defenders miss. The last two seasons with the Okanagan Sun 19 TDs. 5 punt returns for TDs. 6'0" 183.
Thanks

DM83

pdirks67

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 08, 2023, 05:27:05 PM

I posted the other day that signing O'Shea was a good story, but having him on the roster was a bad idea (see Jets with the Lowry's - both said it wasn't good).

I am not eating my words yet, but I am starting to eye the salt shaker. I was at the first day of rookie camp today and he was noticeable, in a good way. Looked confident, quick, and physical. If he keeps this up, I can't see him getting cut before the main camp.