Rookie Camp Comments and Discussion

Started by ModAdmin, May 06, 2023, 05:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

Many over 21 year olds go back into University and have a couple years left of CIS mandated age rules.  The Wpg High school has similar rules.  Otherwise back in my day, when one school off-loaded the bus and that guy who was 240 Lbs. with long black hair and a foot length ZZ Top like beard got our attention.  But not as much as when his two kids and pregnant wife hugged him just before the opening kick-off.  LOL!

In a previous post one of our members did specify the CIS rules.  Perhaps he can re-post them again?  He mentioned if  I re-call when the Bisons won their lst Championship in Toronto they had more than a few 26 year olds.

LXTSN

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 07:16:07 PM
I'm not disputing that per se but how do you improve during an off season aside from conditioning. There are 4 rookie import DE's and 3 rookie import LB's. I suspect he moved down against the LB's when you also have Clement behind Wilson as a possible DI.

In all honesty I had doubts during the off season that he'd make the PR. I expected stiff challenges from newbies more willing to sit on the PR. For that matter Clement might be in a fight as a DI at LB against the newbies.

Main TC is going to have some good battles.  Some of the press clippings on the newbies sound impressive. On defence we'll have 11 import starters, 2 global rotational players and most likely 2 DI's.
Yeah once they get to main training camp it will be a better gauge of how he has progressed. But having him stand out in this rookie camp is nice to see!

pdirks67

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 06:45:26 PM
Not to knock Cooper but he is lining up against rookies which can be deceptive.

100% agree. It will be harder to look good at main camp for him, and everyone else out there at rookie camp. And practice doesn't mean much either if you don't look good in full-contact game conditions.

But, if you can't even stand out at rookie camp...

Blue In BC

Quote from: pdirks67 on May 12, 2023, 09:52:23 PM
100% agree. It will be harder to look good at main camp for him, and everyone else out there at rookie camp. And practice doesn't mean much either if you don't look good in full-contact game conditions.

But, if you can't even stand out at rookie camp...

Unfortunately some of the rookies never really get a chance to attend the full TC.  The intensity goes up. Some really good players look horrible in practice. But turn on the lights and a new personality shows up. The opposite can be true as well.

Then the level increases as the pre season games unfold.

I'd like to see which actual rookies make it through and what some posters that went to the rookie camp thought. Aside from feeling we can't take all those QB's and kickers to the main TC, I have no idea what will happen.

Every player you keep takes a possible spot from another player. Rookie camp is short and main TC is not that long either. Need to shine early and make as few mistakes as possible.

My guess is that 2 Canadian DB's and 1 Canadian DE ( 2023 draft choices ) make the roster, based on need.  2 imports for DI's but which and at what position make the AR instead of the PR? Did we find a star rookie that takes a spot from a veteran ( say at DB for example )?

Really only expecting 4 - 6 rookies max to make the immediate roster. Add in veterans Lawler, Castillo and Eli and that's it.

Exciting times ahead.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pdirks67

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 12, 2023, 06:45:26 PM
Two days where Karamoko is impressing. Yes he's lining up against rookies too but playing DHB is more difficult IMO in rookie camp. Either your in good coverage or every receiver is 5 yards behind you so to speak.

O'Shea was asked about Karamoko at his presser today:
https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/12/coach-oshea-may-12th/

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Rookie Camp - Day Three

QUICK HITS

Notes and quotes from the final day of Blue Bombers Rookie Camp...

THAT'S A WRAP:
And now the real fun begins.

The Blue Bombers wrapped up their third and final day of Rookie Camp early Friday afternoon and, following Saturday's arrivals and medicals for veterans who have yet to report, main camp will open Sunday morning at IG Field, with the session running from 9-11:40 a.m. and open to the public.

The coaching/management staff will meet Friday night/Saturday morning to go over personnel before liking cutting down the numbers before Sunday's session. Asked if the rookie camp goals were accomplished and "they got what they needed out of it" Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea offered this:

"Hopefully the players did. What we need out of it is a lot of teaching time and making sure guys get up to speed so that they can show us what they can do against guys who have been doing it in this league.

"I'd hope for the players' sake that come Sunday they're going to feel way more comfortable on the field. That is the benefit, really."

- -

OLD WOUNDS OPENED: It's been a talking point since late last November after the one-point loss to the Toronto Argonauts in the Grey Cup and all through the offseason. And how this team has managed the disappointment of that loss is bound to be discussed continually as the Blue Bombers work through training camp and the start of the 2023 campaign.

"I'm sure they've rehashed it and figured it out and moved on for now," O'Shea said. "And then once they get into this setting or the setting out on the field post-practice (for media interviews) I'm sure it's going to be talked about... whether they choose to answer, who knows?"

O'Shea chuckled for a moment there before adding: "Choose your questions wisely."

Asked how he would like his returning players to look back at it, O'Shea said: "with disdain."

"Maybe it was necessary. We'll see. I don't know. However they need to look back at it to grow is really what they need to do.

"If it was fuel, it should have been used up by now. They should have burned it all by now and then used it in the offseason. To a man they're going to have to answer that question their own way. I tell them all the time and firmly believe it, that that inspiration they need is right here in the room with them. I don't think it's a scoreboard or anything else."

- -

PADS ON: Rookie camp finished up with the players wearing pads. That obviously leads to more physicality and as camp progresses into next week, likely some dustups. Way back when some coaches even encouraged players to scrap if they felt the intensity level was dropping during a session.

Here's O'Shea on that:

"(Fights) tend to happen. I would never encourage it - that would be counterproductive, really, when you're trying to build a team. You're not trying to see what each guy can do physically; you're trying to lay the foundation of building a team. I would never encourage that. I would obviously try to stop it very quickly because if you lose a guy or somebody gets hurt right there... you're trying to make a team and earn a living, too.

"I mean, playing physically, getting out of the drill what you need to get out of it... but you can play physically and hit each other hard and still make sure if you've got a guy at a real disadvantage, you're not finishing it."

It's about playing hard, in short, but respecting the guy you're competing against.

"You have to. We'll look at that, too," said O'Shea. "If there's a guy out there that can't do that, then maybe he can't be here."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/12/quick-hits-rookie-camp-day-three/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

3 new faces and Szott has CFL experience.

2023-05-12   WPG   HENRY, TaZhawn   RB   A   Houston   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2023-05-12   WPG   GIVHAN, Nate   DL   A   Toledo   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2023-05-12   WPG   WESTFIELD, Braxton   WR   A   Carson-Newman   Add To   Active Roster
2023-05-12   WPG   TURNER, Julius   DL   A   Rutgers   Add To   Active Roster
2023-05-12   WPG   SZOTT, Jakub   OL   N   McMaster   Add To   Active Roster
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 13, 2023, 01:54:43 AM
3 new faces and Szott has CFL experience.

2023-05-12   WPG   HENRY, TaZhawn   RB   A   Houston   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2023-05-12   WPG   GIVHAN, Nate   DL   A   Toledo   Delete From Active   Free Agent
2023-05-12   WPG   WESTFIELD, Braxton   WR   A   Carson-Newman   Add To   Active Roster
2023-05-12   WPG   TURNER, Julius   DL   A   Rutgers   Add To   Active Roster
2023-05-12   WPG   SZOTT, Jakub   OL   N   McMaster   Add To   Active Roster

Szott was on the Bombers PR last year for 2 weeks, was released and signed with Al's, but didn't get on the roster. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on May 13, 2023, 02:16:49 AM
Szott was on the Bombers PR last year for 2 weeks, was released and signed with Al's, but didn't get on the roster. 

Ah yes, forgot about that. He could be a candidate for more time on the PR. Although there are a couple of other newbie NI candidates like Grisolia and Sanford competing as well. Then there is the change for Adamson moving to OL. Probably 2 are kept on PR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 13, 2023, 01:49:53 AM
Quick Hits | Rookie Camp - Day Three

QUICK HITS

Notes and quotes from the final day of Blue Bombers Rookie Camp...

THAT?S A WRAP:
And now the real fun begins.

The Blue Bombers wrapped up their third and final day of Rookie Camp early Friday afternoon and, following Saturday's arrivals and medicals for veterans who have yet to report, main camp will open Sunday morning at IG Field, with the session running from 9-11:40 a.m. and open to the public.

The coaching/management staff will meet Friday night/Saturday morning to go over personnel before liking cutting down the numbers before Sunday's session. Asked if the rookie camp goals were accomplished and "they got what they needed out of it" Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea offered this:

"Hopefully the players did. What we need out of it is a lot of teaching time and making sure guys get up to speed so that they can show us what they can do against guys who have been doing it in this league.

"I'd hope for the players' sake that come Sunday they're going to feel way more comfortable on the field. That is the benefit, really."

- -

OLD WOUNDS OPENED: It's been a talking point since late last November after the one-point loss to the Toronto Argonauts in the Grey Cup and all through the offseason. And how this team has managed the disappointment of that loss is bound to be discussed continually as the Blue Bombers work through training camp and the start of the 2023 campaign.

"I'm sure they've rehashed it and figured it out and moved on for now," O'Shea said. "And then once they get into this setting or the setting out on the field post-practice (for media interviews) I'm sure it's going to be talked about... whether they choose to answer, who knows?"

O'Shea chuckled for a moment there before adding: "Choose your questions wisely."

Asked how he would like his returning players to look back at it, O'Shea said: "with disdain."

"Maybe it was necessary. We'll see. I don't know. However they need to look back at it to grow is really what they need to do.

"If it was fuel, it should have been used up by now. They should have burned it all by now and then used it in the offseason. To a man they're going to have to answer that question their own way. I tell them all the time and firmly believe it, that that inspiration they need is right here in the room with them. I don't think it's a scoreboard or anything else."

- -

PADS ON: Rookie camp finished up with the players wearing pads. That obviously leads to more physicality and as camp progresses into next week, likely some dustups. Way back when some coaches even encouraged players to scrap if they felt the intensity level was dropping during a session.

Here's O'Shea on that:

"(Fights) tend to happen. I would never encourage it - that would be counterproductive, really, when you're trying to build a team. You're not trying to see what each guy can do physically; you're trying to lay the foundation of building a team. I would never encourage that. I would obviously try to stop it very quickly because if you lose a guy or somebody gets hurt right there... you're trying to make a team and earn a living, too.

"I mean, playing physically, getting out of the drill what you need to get out of it... but you can play physically and hit each other hard and still make sure if you've got a guy at a real disadvantage, you're not finishing it."

It's about playing hard, in short, but respecting the guy you're competing against.

"You have to. We'll look at that, too," said O'Shea. "If there's a guy out there that can't do that, then maybe he can't be here."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2023/05/12/quick-hits-rookie-camp-day-three/

it's probably best that the media and fans stop bringing up the past and move on to the future and that future is preparing to go 1-0 next week
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

Blue In BC

Well this changes several things, not necessarily in a good way:

T. Hansen and Kyrie Wilson placed on 6 game IR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Initially we may see Gauthier back starting at WIL. Clements or even Maruo are in the mix to start along with one of the 5 rookie LB's.   A spot for another global player on the AR opened up. That could be Karamoko or Sheahan ( global punter )?

Almost certainly to see a rookie DE as a DI to bolster depth on the DL.

Several different options now with our DI's and how we use our ratio.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 14, 2023, 01:04:09 PM
Well this changes several things, not necessarily in a good way:

T. Hansen and Kyrie Wilson placed on 6 game IR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Initially we may see Gauthier back starting at WIL. Clements or even Maruo are in the mix to start along with one of the 5 rookie LB's.   A spot for another global player on the AR opened up. That could be Karamoko or Sheahan ( global punter )?

Almost certainly to see a rookie DE as a DI to bolster depth on the DL.

Several different options now with our DI's and how we use our ratio.
hmmm not good for those 2. The club knew all along I am sure hence the plethora of replacement candidates. Both must of come in not right yet.

Blue In BC

I'm surprised we still have 6 kickers or punters in camp. Losing Hansen means there is role for a global kicker COULD. While I don't expect that if he's lights out he could make the AR.  Staton was reported to be a very good kicker.

5 QB's remaining.

I count 100 players left plus the territorial's. That's a lot of bodies.

Some observations, not saying this is either bad or good and is based on very fluid info on roster updates:

1. I only see 3 rookie import DB's: 8 returning veterans

2. 4 rookie Canadian DB's + Janke: 2 returning veterans

3. 3 rookie import DE's and 1 Canadian rookie: 2 returning veterans

4. 3 rookie import DT's and 2 Canadians: 2 returning veterans

5. 6 rookie import / global kickers: 1 veteran returning and 1 veteran ( Castillo ) signed as a free agent.

6. 5 rookie import LB's and 1 Canadian: 6 returning veterans ( Import / Canadian and global ). Included Cole and Cooper as rookies

For the most part I was just looking at the defence and receivers. There are several OL, RB's, QB's and receivers but realistically we're looking for PR / depth players.

Actual updates from posters going to TC will be very informative. Going to be some real battles on defence.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Seeingno OSH Jr out here. Did they release him?