Blue Bombers transactions - May 4, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, May 04, 2023, 08:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 04, 2023, 09:05:39 PM
Bombers just signed Castillo.

Love this.

Makes me curious if the team will deploy a P/K tandem with Liegghio on the former and Castillo on the latter. Their combined salaries would probably be similar to what Medlock was making.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 05, 2023, 01:10:28 PM
Love this.

Makes me curious if the team will deploy a P/K tandem with Liegghio on the former and Castillo on the latter. Their combined salaries would probably be similar to what Medlock was making.

The salary for 2 kickers is essentially irrelevant. If they aren't paying Leigghio then they are paying another Canadian elsewhere on the roster.  Whether they go 2 kickers or Castillo does all 3 roles that will be true.

I can't imagine not having 2 kickers at the moment. Most of the rookies are not K/P's. The last thing I'd expect would be TWO import kickers or using a global for one spot.

The only question is whether one of the rookies is lights out better than Castillo and cheaper. That's a long shot to begin the season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 05, 2023, 01:10:28 PM
Love this.

This is what I was thinking. This is what most bomber fans wanted. Mr. Walters delivered. Kicking game should not be a problem now. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on May 05, 2023, 06:54:54 AM
If we have the $$, it's the smart play.  I'm not sure he's a shoe-in for K though.  I think they want big TC competition.  I would wager in week 1 Castillo is the starting K.  But if he doesn't prove substantially better than Leggs, I don't see how we keep wasting a DI spot on a just-a-K.

No matter what, I'd think we keep Leggs around for quite a while... unless Castillo is lights-out great and we field a superb GLOB P.  Even then, what do you lose by keeping him on PR.

Interesting developments.  KW always surprises me.

No way Leggs sits on our PR.  He can sign elsewhere on an AR or will get plucked.

At worst, he is dedicated P.  And P/K when Castillo retires.  Unless he hits FA and decides to sign elsewhere.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

LXTSN

Quote from: theaardvark on May 05, 2023, 04:46:57 PM
No way Leggs sits on our PR.  He can sign elsewhere on an AR or will get plucked.

At worst, he is dedicated P.  And P/K when Castillo retires.  Unless he hits FA and decides to sign elsewhere.

Castillo is only 32 years old, so it will be a while before he retires.
The next 2-3 years will be where Leggs either flips the switch or fades off into the sunset. Hopefully he gets back to being one of the best punters in the league!

the paw

I agree that he will not sit on the PR, a 3 duty Canadian is in higher demand than that.

All the same though, if he does not beat our Castillo for placekicking, I think the Bombers will move on from Legghio.  As a punter he is decidedly average.  Middle of the pack in terms of punting average and punts inside the 10, and in the bottom third in net punting avg.   We could replace him with McLean or one of the globals and not have to worry about his cost going up next year. 

They aren't going to let him hang around and "develop".  He got to do that in his first year, and they stood by him in the second year.  If they thought his development was on schedule, they would not be bringing 7 kickers to camp.  He needs to dominate camp to hang onto his job IMHO. 
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on May 05, 2023, 05:15:05 PM
I agree that he will not sit on the PR, a 3 duty Canadian is in higher demand than that.

All the same though, if he does not beat our Castillo for placekicking, I think the Bombers will move on from Legghio.  As a punter he is decidedly average.  Middle of the pack in terms of punting average and punts inside the 10, and in the bottom third in net punting avg.   We could replace him with McLean or one of the globals and not have to worry about his cost going up next year. 

They aren't going to let him hang around and "develop".  He got to do that in his first year, and they stood by him in the second year.  If they thought his development was on schedule, they would not be bringing 7 kickers to camp.  He needs to dominate camp to hang onto his job IMHO. 

It's hard to judge a punter by his distance, if booming punts were wanted Jon Ryan would be a prize, control and accuracy are more desirable attributes.  From Walters interview earlier this week I got the sense that O'Shea wasn't happy with the depth of ST on punt and kickoff returns last season, thus they intend to fix that up this season by drafting and recruiting the player type that fits that role in body and attitude.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 05, 2023, 05:37:52 PM
It's hard to judge a punter by his distance, if booming punts were wanted Jon Ryan would be a prize, control and accuracy are more desirable attributes.  From Walters interview earlier this week I got the sense that O'Shea wasn't happy with the depth of ST on punt and kickoff returns last season, thus they intend to fix that up this season by drafting and recruiting the player type that fits that role in body and attitude.

That's why I included both net punting and punts inside the 10 as metrics.  If you aren't punting for distance, you should be either pinning them deep or limiting returns.  Legghio is middling good at all 3, but not really a standout at any.
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Leggs now has the opportunity to work exclusively on his punting. This should be a big plus for him. 

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Pigskin on May 05, 2023, 06:44:31 PM
Leggs now has the opportunity to work exclusively on his punting. This should be a big plus for him. 
Yup and he will do great!

DM83

Yesssss!  39 yards per punt now!
He is really good

Pigskin

Not true in 2021 it was 43.7 yards, 2022 it was 46.9 yards.

TecnoGenius

Well, the way WPG fans talk trash about Leggs, you'd think no one would hire him anywhere.  I don't think that way, but I do think that most teams are pretty set at P/K and I don't see who would be interested.  I don't see Leggs being much better than any of the existing batteries.  So why would teams pluck him on their AR??

If one of the GLOB P's is lights out, we Castillo is lights out, then I can totally see Leggs hitting the PR.  If someone does try to pluck, then we have a decision to make.  I also don't think that will happen: but it could.  It would actually be a best-case scenario.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on May 05, 2023, 05:15:05 PM

Maybe we've learned from the Harall<lots of strange letters> fiasco.  Sometimes these kickers really do need 4-6 years to develop into money.  I fully expect Leggs to get a bit better every year.  I think he's already been on that track, inopportune PATs notwithstanding.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

I would like to see him develop and have a Bob Cameron type tenure,....but....making a team is crazy.  I just watched hard knocks yesterday Was it Evandala?  he took around five years, and still felt he was going to be cut.  So, that would make a lot of people nervous.

So,...Legs. while on the team does have to exhibit growth.  If Legs makes it as a punter so be it.
Bottom line.
This is pro football.  We have to credit management and have a finite life.  So we need to capitalize.
So, lets bring in Castillo and who ever else. It's always best man wins.