Blue Bombers add five to roster - March 15, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, March 15, 2023, 06:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on March 16, 2023, 03:20:51 PM
Wondering on Veltri... undrafted Nat?  Not many make it through the draft and then latch onto a team...

He was still playing in college late last year in November. That's an interesting question though.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Veltri sounds like a really good football player.  Some of those stats suggest he has a nose for the ball, can tackle.  They don't list his  40 time, which is a red flag.  Your point of him being moved to a linebacker, could be his best bet to stick.  Gautier and Briggs will need to be released eventually due to age, injury and  even salary. If Veltri, is as good in the CFL as he was in University, he could be a steal.  His experience and ability led him to be very good.  Certainly, a great coach-in-waiting.

Blue In BC

Each recent season our roster of returning players looks solid. So far a few interesting rookie candidates have been added. While I don't expect many overall changes beyond depth and PR, there are always a few surprises. Early injuries in TC ( long and short term ) create some opportunities. Bombers have found some exceptional rookies the past few years. So I don't particularly see any specific veterans at risk but it's always exciting to see the new challengers fighting to unseat somebody.

Can't wait to see who they find in the upcoming tryout camps.

Current roster is about 73 so there should be a lot of activity in the next month or so.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 22, 2023, 01:18:37 PM
Each recent season our roster of returning players looks solid. So far a few interesting rookie candidates have been added. While I don't expect many overall changes beyond depth and PR, there are always a few surprises. Early injuries in TC ( long and short term ) create some opportunities. Bombers have found some exceptional rookies the past few years. So I don't particularly see any specific veterans at risk but it's always exciting to see the new challengers fighting to unseat somebody.

Can't wait to see who they find in the upcoming tryout camps.

Current roster is about 73 so there should be a lot of activity in the next month or so.

I don't see any incumbants in danger, unless they don't have a good offseason and come to camp fat and slow.  I don't think a lot of our players would be that way, but we have enough that are at that age where it could happen.  And all it takes is losing half a step to let a rookie swipe your spot.  We have seen that Kyle and MOS are not afraid to make those changes.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

On O'Bryan Goodson

...As our scouting department looked at the tape, a play style comparison was made to another 5-foot-10 defensive tackle, former Blue Bombers starter 'Stove' Richardson. While (O'Bryan) Goodson has a long way to go to become the player that Richardson was in Winnipeg, his similar qualities will give him the opportunity to stand out amongst the defensive line competition.

Blue Bombers fans attending training camp will surely be keeping an eye on the defensive line competition, and they'll want to keep a close eye on how the abilities Goodson showed on tape at University of Memphis translate to the CFL game....

Tales from the Scouting Trail: O'Bryan Goodson
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

NewBlue

Quote from: theaardvark on March 22, 2023, 04:04:28 PM
I don't see any incumbants in danger, unless they don't have a good offseason and come to camp fat and slow.  I don't think a lot of our players would be that way, but we have enough that are at that age where it could happen.  And all it takes is losing half a step to let a rookie swipe your spot.  We have seen that Kyle and MOS are not afraid to make those changes.

I don't think the D is set in pen yet
I think whoever is the #3 DE is wide open (behind the 2 Jeffs), also think SAM is wide open.  Who will be the next man up for the DB's?
Have to factor in injuries too.

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on April 19, 2023, 12:28:52 PM
I don't think the D is set in pen yet
I think whoever is the #3 DE is wide open (behind the 2 Jeffs), also think SAM is wide open.  Who will be the next man up for the DB's?
Have to factor in injuries too.

I agree that there are questions on defence but not at the SAM barring injuries. While I liked the rookie DB's in 2022 ( Parker and Holms ) + Lawrence, I have no idea how secure they are or who starts where.

Walker probably starts at DT but a rookie might look to push him towards a DI position.

The health of Wilson at WIL is a question mark.

So many things will be evaluated in TC.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

BBRT

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 19, 2023, 01:36:26 PM
I agree that there are questions on defence but not at the SAM barring injuries. While I liked the rookie DB's in 2022 ( Parker and Holms ) + Lawrence, I have no idea how secure they are or who starts where.

Walker probably starts at DT but a rookie might look to push him towards a DI position.

I agree with your comments I think we need to upgrade our DT positions and the health of Wilson at WIL is also a big question mark. Can not wait for TC to start in order to see where we will be come game 1.

NewBlue

Quote from: Blue In BC on April 19, 2023, 01:36:26 PM

Who even is going to be our SAM next year?  Darby?  Not even sure if he's still on the roster. Lawrence?  Do we go Canadian & put Kramdi/Lavigne there?
As far as I can see that position is hardly solidified.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: NewBlue on April 19, 2023, 10:01:13 PM
Who even is going to be our SAM next year?  Darby?  Not even sure if he's still on the roster. Lawrence?  Do we go Canadian & put Kramdi/Lavigne there?
As far as I can see that position is hardly solidified.

Your post doesn't make sense. You admitted that you are not sure if Darby and Lawrence are still here and then you claim the SAM position is hardly solidified.

Both Darby and Lawrence are still here. Darby has the inside track of that position. There are other guys who are capable of manning that and Walters and co can find DBs who can compete there too.

NewBlue

How doesn't it make sense?  If I wasnt sure if they are on the roster then it should make sense that in my mind that position is open.
Even with those guys there, they only played that spot for a bit.  Hardly a position I would say can't be upgraded. Darby did a good job there later in the season from what I can remember, but it's not outlandish to think another newbie (like Rutledge lastyear) could play SAM.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: NewBlue on April 19, 2023, 10:01:13 PM
Who even is going to be our SAM next year?  Darby?

Darby has it.  His re-signing was a bit of a splash (to me, at least); we didn't know if we'd be able to keep him ($$).  Go back and find the thread if you want more detail?

I think the at-risk spots are Parker, Holm, Lawrence... the strong side DBs.  The only locks are Rose, Nichols, BA.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if some rookie gets put into the DB AR in the first 5 weeks.  We've done that often when a guy stands out.
Never go full Rider!

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 20, 2023, 01:46:07 AM
Darby has it.  His re-signing was a bit of a splash (to me, at least); we didn't know if we'd be able to keep him ($$).  Go back and find the thread if you want more detail?

I think the at-risk spots are Parker, Holm, Lawrence... the strong side DBs.  The only locks are Rose, Nichols, BA.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if some rookie gets put into the DB AR in the first 5 weeks.  We've done that often when a guy stands out.

Darby is not just a lock at SAM, he is a mortal lock.  We traded for the guy when Rutledge flamed out.

I think Parker will get the halfback spot and Lawrence at field corner, with Holm as  odd man out.  Unless Ford comes back from the NFL, then he might get a shot at field corner.
grab grass 'n growl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on April 20, 2023, 03:23:33 AM
I think Parker will get the halfback spot and Lawrence at field corner, with Holm as  odd man out.  Unless Ford comes back from the NFL, then he might get a shot at field corner.

I forgot Houston.  I think Houston gets placement before Parker/Lawrence (but not by much vs Parker)  I think you're right on Holm: he's the backup plan.  I'm not sold at all on Lawrence.

So really that leaves 1 DB spot as a question mark for everyone else to compete over.

I think our great depth and fierce competition at DB has really upped our DB game over the last 4-5 years.  Remember how sad-sack our DB corps used to be?  Pains me to think about it.  I think things started to improve around the Heath/Fogg era.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on April 20, 2023, 03:58:00 AM
I forgot Houston.  I think Houston gets placement before Parker/Lawrence (but not by much vs Parker)  I think you're right on Holm: he's the backup plan.  I'm not sold at all on Lawrence.

So really that leaves 1 DB spot as a question mark for everyone else to compete over.

I think our great depth and fierce competition at DB has really upped our DB game over the last 4-5 years.  Remember how sad-sack our DB corps used to be?  Pains me to think about it.  I think things started to improve around the Heath/Fogg era.

I expect Houston and Parker to be the starters. OTOH I think Holm could be a DI due to his speed and versatility as a possible returner.  I wouldn't rule out Lawrence either which is why who starts where and who back up is not set in stone in my mind. That's not a bad thing.

We already have a bunch of rookie DB's signed that could compete and push everything around early in the season. Bombers have had success finding new players in the secondary recently.
2019 Grey Cup Champions