The 2023 CFL Quarterback Carousel

Started by ModAdmin, February 23, 2023, 05:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

From an article written by Dave Naylor...is this not pretty amazing?

...Consider that, as of this moment, only the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and Ottawa Redblacks will roll out the same starting quarterback for the opening week of the coming regular season as they did in 2022, representing a near 78 per cent turnover rate among CFL starting quarterbacks from one season to the next.

Much of that transition occurred over the course of last season, while one third of the league - Hamilton, Montreal and Saskatchewan - will start quarterbacks in 2023 who weren't on their roster at the end of last season....

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/dave-naylor-perfect-storm-sends-cfl-quarterback-carousel-spinning-1.1922750
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Not only that the Bombers have the least amount of player turnover overall. It's going to be a rocky start for some of these teams fitting in new players and some coaches as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

We will crush them early but they will catch up mid season.

gobombersgo

LIONS ACQUIRE QB DANE EVANS IN TRADE WITH TICATS

VANCOUVER - The BC Lions have acquired American quarterback Dane Evans in a trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the team announced on Thursday. In exchange, the Ticats will receive a conditional fourth round pick in the 2024 CFL Draft.

"We are thrilled to add someone of Dane's calibre to our quarterback room. You can never have enough proven veterans at QB," said co-GM/head coach Rick Campbell.

"Vernon Adams Jr. is our guy and our starter. Led by VA, the QB room will be a key component to our success in 2023."

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/02/23/lions-acquire-qb-dane-evans-in-trade-with-ticats/

the paw

Quote from: gobombersgo on February 23, 2023, 10:56:18 PM

VANCOUVER - The BC Lions have acquired American quarterback Dane Evans in a trade with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, the team announced on Thursday. In exchange, the Ticats will receive a conditional fourth round pick in the 2024 CFL Draft.

"We are thrilled to add someone of Dane's calibre to our quarterback room. You can never have enough proven veterans at QB," said co-GM/head coach Rick Campbell.

"Vernon Adams Jr. is our guy and our starter. Led by VA, the QB room will be a key component to our success in 2023."

Dom Davis says "Doh!"......

Actually, given that BC has Adams on a very affordable deal, they can offer a decent restructure to Evans.  A strong base salary and a games-started bonus that takes him to starter money if it comes to fruition (kind of like Glenn had in Calgary). 
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on February 23, 2023, 11:05:02 PM
Dom Davis says "Doh!"......

Actually, given that BC has Adams on a very affordable deal, they can offer a decent restructure to Evans.  A strong base salary and a games-started bonus that takes him to starter money if it comes to fruition (kind of like Glenn had in Calgary). 

I predict by game #4 Dane Evans will be the starter, V.A. just can't hold onto a job!

Pete

This looks to be more a way for Hamilton to keep Evans away from Toronto...wonder if this makes Prukop an option for Toronto

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 23, 2023, 11:22:26 PM
I predict by game #4 Dane Evans will be the starter, V.A. just can't hold onto a job!
Adams doesn?t deserve to have the starters job on any team, he?s just not #1 material. Evans will do well on the left coast. ticats will  go to zero with a bullet this season

GOLDMEMBER

I think VAJ and DE are both lower QBs and BC will not be able to much with either.

I would rather have BLM than either at this point.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 24, 2023, 01:00:26 AM
I think VAJ and DE are both lower QBs and BC will not be able to much with either.

I would rather have BLM than either at this point.
I don't mind the combo, will provide at least a 500 season. BLM is a risky bet.  Will be either great or done.

TecnoGenius

Hahahaha

"We are adding Dane.  VAJ is our guy."

Hahahhaa

It really reads: "Light it up VAJ or Dane gets your job"

I like this move.  Evans wasn't going to do squat in HAM, and does make a good #2 if you need a place filler for 1-2 game stretches.

So where does that leave Pipkin?  Maybe he will end up in B&G if we don't solve our #3 problem.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 24, 2023, 04:49:06 AM
Hahahaha

"We are adding Dane.  VAJ is our guy."

Hahahhaa

It really reads: "Light it up VAJ or Dane gets your job"

I like this move.  Evans wasn't going to do squat in HAM, and does make a good #2 if you need a place filler for 1-2 game stretches.

So where does that leave Pipkin?  Maybe he will end up in B&G if we don't solve our #3 problem.

It is hard to imagine that the Blue Bombers' focus will not be on re-signing Prokup rather than Pipkin if Prokup does not head south.  Prokup is solid as the 3rd and short option and at least has potential to be the #2 if Dru Brown falters.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blue In BC

IIRC Adams re-negotiated his deal when anointed as their starter. Evans may need to re-negotiate his in order for the Lions to absorb higher SMS costs for their QB's overall. Lions were luncky SMS wise in 2022 with Rourke on an ELC.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: ModAdmin on February 24, 2023, 05:46:34 AM
It is hard to imagine that the Blue Bombers' focus will not be on re-signing Prokup rather than Pipkin if Prokup does not head south.  Prokup is solid as the 3rd and short option and at least has potential to be the #2 if Dru Brown falters.

Dakota Prukop is not really an every down quarterback in the CFL because his passing game is so limited. If we get to that point, we're probably better off trying to catch lightning in a bottle with whomever we have on the PR or have called up to backup Prukop. That said, I believe in Dru Brown. I think he's only been passed up and cast aside so much because he's physically too small for the NFL. He is mobile enough, can read a defense and just needs live reps at this stage of his CFL career.

LXTSN

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 24, 2023, 01:08:08 PM
Dakota Prukop is not really an every down quarterback in the CFL because his passing game is so limited. If we get to that point, we're probably better off trying to catch lightning in a bottle with whomever we have on the PR or have called up to backup Prukop. That said, I believe in Dru Brown. I think he's only been passed up and cast aside so much because he's physically too small for the NFL. He is mobile enough, can read a defense and just needs live reps at this stage of his CFL career.
I'm fine with Brown as our #2. I don't think we would win the Grey Cup with him, but he's good enough to play a game here or there and keep us in it if Zach gets dinged up.

If our projection would be 13-5 with Collaros, I would think it might be 10-8 with Brown?