Red Blacks Sign OL Drew Desjarlais

Started by Ridermania, January 30, 2023, 02:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Too bad he isn't back but great he is in the league again.  Maybe we can land him when his deal is up.

blue_gold_84

Great move by the RedBlacks and a nice payday for Desjarlais.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pete

Quote from: Nic16 on January 31, 2023, 01:02:43 PM
Simple solution could be?

The team he signs for upon his return from the nfl would have to give up a draft pick based on conditions.
Size and length of contract, age & quality of the player, round the player was originally drafted +/or yrs in CFL.

A guy like Desjarlais would be a 2023 1st rd pick and a 2024 3rd rd pick.
If he could have signed with any other team prior to going to NFL why shouldn't he be allowed to do the same on returning without penalty to signing team.
Btw if Ottawa had offered him 250k at that time he still wouldn't be a bomber

theaardvark

Drew would *not* be a Bomber, regardless his NFL stint.  I hate seeing that sentiment.  Like Chungh, its a combination of our need vs. other teams needs.  OTT needed him $250k+ worth.  We have depth at OL, and would have liked him, but did not *need* him more than a normal OG salary's worth, maybe $180k.. so he was never coming back here.  We have 7 Oline that could start on pretty much any team.  We did not need to break the bank on #8. 

And I don't think we will have an issue recruiting the next group either. 

Good on Drew for maximizing his deal, and cripling OTT's ability to sign other players, much like Chungh did in B+C... 

Thanks.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: Nic16 on January 31, 2023, 01:02:43 PM
Simple solution could be?

The team he signs for upon his return from the nfl would have to give up a draft pick based on conditions.
Size and length of contract, age & quality of the player, round the player was originally drafted +/or yrs in CFL.

A guy like Desjarlais would be a 2023 1st rd pick and a 2024 3rd rd pick.

Why should a team have to give up draft picks to sign a FA?
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

I wasn't following Desjarlais progress through the NFL, just wondering why he came back and if he will give the NFL another go next year?  Anyone know if he saw any NFL game time or if he just ran out of options and had no other prospect of receiving a paycheque.

theaardvark

Quote from: Jesse on January 31, 2023, 04:34:05 PM
Why should a team have to give up draft picks to sign a FA?

Not a bad idea that if a team grants an early release from a contract that they retain some semblance of rights, RFA status basically... and that, like the NHL, signing him to an offer sheet results in a right to match, or compensation based on the size of contract...

I have no problem with that idea...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 31, 2023, 11:05:35 AM
Yes yes, I fully get it, friend.  I just don't like it.  Yes, I'm hard up for something to moan about this week.  The Desjar news just gave me PTSD flashbacks to the Henoc debacle.  Every time this happens I get angry.  Yes, I know it's fully within their rights.  I don't have to like it, though!

What's also annoying is the NFL doesn't kick in any payment for having full access to any player the CFL develops whenever they want to pick the ripest cherries from their orchard.  Somehow we're supposed to feel good about this arrangement.

Nic16

Quote from: theaardvark on January 31, 2023, 04:51:15 PM
Not a bad idea that if a team grants an early release from a contract that they retain some semblance of rights, RFA status basically... and that, like the NHL, signing him to an offer sheet results in a right to match, or compensation based on the size of contract...

I have no problem with that idea...

Nice to see somebody sees where I am going with this. I obviously do not expect any compensation for Desjarlais the way the rules currently sit. However, in an effort to support player continuity on teams I have always been on the side of RFA rules. A team should be allowed to protect a draft pick for the first 4 or 5 yrs of their career. You could allow for an offer sheet window in years 3-5, so that players still have the opportunity to try and max their career earnings.

theaardvark

Quote from: Nic16 on January 31, 2023, 05:17:59 PM
Nice to see somebody sees where I am going with this. I obviously do not expect any compensation for Desjarlais the way the rules currently sit. However, in an effort to support player continuity on teams I have always been on the side of RFA rules. A team should be allowed to protect a draft pick for the first 4 or 5 yrs of their career. You could allow for an offer sheet window in years 3-5, so that players still have the opportunity to try and max their career earnings.

Protecting a football player like you would a hockey player might be a tetch more difficult, as football and hockey careers are not equivalent.

But yeah, retaining rights of a Nat draft pick should go beyond 3 years, again, using a special "retention cap" funding would go a long way for that.  Additional SMS$ that could be used to resign players to un-level the FA playing field...

And to make the NFL window more palatable, and reduce players wanting to sign shorter deals to maintain that guaranteed opportunity, special funding allowing guaranteed money for re-signing/extending players, and an RFA match/compensation upon their return would be equitable. 

Sir Blue and Gold

The rules are fine. It is good that there is a redistribution of talent through the existence of a salary cap. We probably could have signed him if we matched offers, but he's worth less to us than to Ottawa at the moment. You can only have so many big contracts. Won't always be the case. One day we'll have a ton of cap space while trying to rebuild a competitive team and we'll be able to get the credit card out.

GOLDMEMBER

For Drew I?m sure it was not only about money but also about proximity to home for him.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 31, 2023, 08:23:53 PM
For Drew I?m sure it was not only about money but also about proximity to home for him.
Could make it hard to snag him later

bwiser

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on January 31, 2023, 08:23:53 PM
I have to disagree. I am sure Desjarlais would have come back to Winnipeg if he was offered the same amount Ottawa offered but there was no way the Bombers were willing to make him the highest paid O lineman in the league.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on January 31, 2023, 05:36:41 PM
Protecting a football player like you would a hockey player might be a tetch more difficult, as football and hockey careers are not equivalent.

But yeah, retaining rights of a Nat draft pick should go beyond 3 years, again, using a special "retention cap" funding would go a long way for that.  Additional SMS$ that could be used to resign players to un-level the FA playing field...

And to make the NFL window more palatable, and reduce players wanting to sign shorter deals to maintain that guaranteed opportunity, special funding allowing guaranteed money for re-signing/extending players, and an RFA match/compensation upon their return would be equitable. 

There is at least something in place already, as Tyrell Ford's rights stay with us if he gets cut from Green Bay.

Can't remember for how long.
My wife is amazing!