Red Blacks Sign OL Drew Desjarlais

Started by Ridermania, January 30, 2023, 02:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 30, 2023, 05:15:10 PM
Kolankowski and Eli will have to sort that out in training camp for sure.

I think Eli is more likely in competition with Gray at LG than at center. O'Shea will move players around in TC to gain that versatility but I don't remember Eli having experience at center?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 30, 2023, 05:45:17 PM
I think Eli is more likely in competition with Gray at LG than at center. O'Shea will move players around in TC to gain that versatility but I don't remember Eli having experience at center?

Eli was touted as one of the best centres in college football, and on the fast track to the NFL before injuries derailed his career.  I think he is the future at the centre position.  I think Dobson is lining up to replace Paddy Neufeld one day.  Kolankowski is a journeyman who really answered the bell for us, but will be hard pressed to stay the starter for long, IMHO.  Whether this is the year Eli wins the job, who knows?
grab grass 'n growl

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 30, 2023, 05:45:17 PM

Like Pas said, unless he's suddenly reinvented himself since he stepped away he is most certainly a centre. That's what he played at Hawaii. That's what he got reps at mostly here.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 30, 2023, 06:32:22 PM
Like Pas said, unless he's suddenly reinvented himself since he stepped away he is most certainly a centre. That's what he played at Hawaii. That's what he got reps at mostly here.

True, I can't recall which position he actually saw action in previously, but on the depth chart of the 2019 G.C. he's listed as the backup Center to Speller and the 2021 W.F. backup to Couture.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 30, 2023, 07:10:07 PM
True, I can't recall which position he actually saw action in previously, but on the depth chart of the 2019 G.C. he's listed as the backup Center to Speller and the 2021 W.F. backup to Couture.

He was our 6th OL, so he probably saw snaps all over while he was here and came on in jumbo packages. Probably would have been our centre this past year if he was here, tbh.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 30, 2023, 06:32:22 PM

It was pointed out that he hasn't played since 2021 and he only has 19 CFL games under his belt. Some suggested it might take 1/2 a season to get up to speed .Center calls OL blocking so I can see him more at Guard for 2023 either as a back up or fighting to start.

Long term he may be the Center of the future.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 30, 2023, 05:13:08 PM
Kolankowski is probable to start at center and Couture is probable to move on in free agency.

The point is you guys still have depth and you also have the chance to add during the draft.  If Eli and Dobson are you're sixth and seventh linemen you're in good shape.  Plus Gray's versatility to play tackle is a bonus.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 30, 2023, 07:58:17 PM
It was pointed out that he hasn't played since 2021 and he only has 19 CFL games under his belt. Some suggested it might take 1/2 a season to get up to speed .Center calls OL blocking so I can see him more at Guard for 2023 either as a back up or fighting to start.

Long term he may be the Center of the future.

Could go that way for sure. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was our starting centre week 1 and someone else was the 6th OL.

TecnoGenius

I really don't like how the NFL is handled in the CFL.  It just rubs me the wrong way.  We release our best players to the NFL, and most return but then are off to the highest bidder CFL team who usually isn't us.

If you develop the guy, start the guy, showcase the guy, then are nice enough to release the guy to get rich down south, there should be some retention of rights when they return to the CFL.

There should be a way for the CFL to balance this so that if the losing team wants them back they get first dibs, possibly at some sort of controlled $$.  Yes, I understand that with the current setup the old team might not be able (or want to) afford a much higher $$.  That's why there might have to be be some sort of $$ control on NFL-returnees; maybe just in their first year back.

We always talk about continuity being important...
Never go full Rider!

Pete

Wasn't Desjarlais a free agent he went down south? Unlike  Ford who took advantage of the window and if he returns we rretain his rights. I do agree with you in terms of the window but the cfl has to do this to remain competitive with the xfl; and the usfl

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on January 31, 2023, 02:26:21 AM
Wasn't Desjarlais a free agent he went down south? Unlike  Ford who took advantage of the window and if he returns we rretain his rights. I do agree with you in terms of the window but the cfl has to do this to remain competitive with the xfl; and the usfl

You might be right.  I don't want to stop players from going to the NFL.  I just want some sort of continuity when they come back.  Some sort of incentive/imperative for them to stay with the the team they left.  Whether or not they were up for FA anyhow.

Most normie fans have/had no idea who is/was FA vs still signed when they went to the NFL.  All they see is Desjar was in WPG, now is in OTT.  If Desjar never went south, it would be a fair bet to say he'd still be a Bomber in 2023.

I know, it's probably impossible and I can't even offer a solution.  But it rubs me the wrong way, even though we "won" on one of those (Biggie).
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 31, 2023, 02:32:11 AM
You might be right.  I don't want to stop players from going to the NFL.  I just want some sort of continuity when they come back.  Some sort of incentive/imperative for them to stay with the the team they left.  Whether or not they were up for FA anyhow.

Most normie fans have/had no idea who is/was FA vs still signed when they went to the NFL.  All they see is Desjar was in WPG, now is in OTT.  If Desjar never went south, it would be a fair bet to say he'd still be a Bomber in 2023.

I know, it's probably impossible and I can't even offer a solution.  But it rubs me the wrong way, even though we "won" on one of those (Biggie).

I don't think you have a clear understanding of the rules, bud.

There are examples of teams retaining the rights to their draft picks. Drew was just a FA.
My wife is amazing!

Pete

It says a lot about this team though when you csn lose players such as allstars Desjarlais, Alford, Lawler, Richardson and up and comers such as Kongbo and Ford and still remain more than competitive.One of the prices you pay for having a winning team is that you can't meet some of the crazy contracts other teams will offer ie Lawler and Desjarlais
It looks like we will lose Couture this year and hoping we dont lose demski.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on January 31, 2023, 02:37:48 AM
I don't think you have a clear understanding of the rules, bud.

There are examples of teams retaining the rights to their draft picks. Drew was just a FA.

Yes yes, I fully get it, friend.  I just don't like it.  Yes, I'm hard up for something to moan about this week.  The Desjar news just gave me PTSD flashbacks to the Henoc debacle.  Every time this happens I get angry.  Yes, I know it's fully within their rights.  I don't have to like it, though!
Never go full Rider!

Nic16

Simple solution could be?

The team he signs for upon his return from the nfl would have to give up a draft pick based on conditions.
Size and length of contract, age & quality of the player, round the player was originally drafted +/or yrs in CFL.

A guy like Desjarlais would be a 2023 1st rd pick and a 2024 3rd rd pick.