Off Season News - Other CFL Teams

Started by ModAdmin, December 02, 2022, 04:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the paw

Quote from: Jesse on February 04, 2023, 05:48:42 PM
Honestly, I don?t think Demski has earned that contract.

Then I think you would be out of touch with where the market is going.  I see Gittens and Demski as very comparable in terms of their value as impact Canadians.

I would rather have Demski or Gittens more than Whitehead, and I would say that even if the ratio wasn't a factor.

We might get a bit of a hometown discount, but if we aren't close to that number, he'll be somewhere else this year.
grab grass 'n growl

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Jesse on February 04, 2023, 05:48:42 PM
Honestly, I don?t think Demski has earned that contract.
Disagree
Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 04, 2023, 06:25:11 PM
I'd do Demski at 185k then.
That would be a good deal for us
Quote from: Pigskin on February 04, 2023, 06:59:13 PM
I think a 3 year deal. $200K per.
Agree that's fair.  I would try to limit guaranteed $.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on February 04, 2023, 07:41:48 PM
Then I think you would be out of touch with where the market is going.  I see Gittens and Demski as very comparable in terms of their value as impact Canadians.

I would rather have Demski or Gittens more than Whitehead, and I would say that even if the ratio wasn't a factor.

We might get a bit of a hometown discount, but if we aren't close to that number, he'll be somewhere else this year.

Gittens is 25 coming off a 1100 yard season. He is being paid on the potential that he continues to get better.

Demski is 29, never had a 1000 yard season, never played 18 games.

I love Demski and still think we sign him, but I don't think Gittens is a comparable. It's a ceiling that Demski hasn't hit.
My wife is amazing!

the paw

Quote from: Jesse on February 04, 2023, 11:28:07 PM
Gittens is 25 coming off a 1100 yard season. He is being paid on the potential that he continues to get better.

I love Demski and still think we sign him, but I don't think Gittens is a comparable. It's a ceiling that Demski hasn't hit.

You are not wrong about the positive aspects of Gittens.  But Demski had twice as many TDs, and way more value as a rusher, factors that I think are more important than the magic 1000 yd mark.  And while he has never played 18 games, he's played 17 in three different years.

And while 25 is better than 29 over the long haul, the way players move there really is no long haul.  I don't think age will be a factor over the next 3 years.   If I'm being 100% honest, if I am a CFL GM in any city but Winnipeg, I probably pick Gittens over Demski.  But in terms of setting the market, I think the difference is statistically negligible.
grab grass 'n growl

pjrocksmb

Quote from: the paw on February 05, 2023, 12:15:10 AM
You are not wrong about the positive aspects of Gittens.  But Demski had twice as many TDs, and way more value as a rusher, factors that I think are more important than the magic 1000 yd mark.  And while he has never played 18 games, he's played 17 in three different years.

And while 25 is better than 29 over the long haul, the way players move there really is no long haul.  I don't think age will be a factor over the next 3 years.   If I'm being 100% honest, if I am a CFL GM in any city but Winnipeg, I probably pick Gittens over Demski.  But in terms of setting the market, I think the difference is statistically negligible.

Both great players Demski more versatile

Jesse

Quote from: the paw on February 05, 2023, 12:15:10 AM

And while 25 is better than 29 over the long haul, the way players move there really is no long haul.  I don't think age will be a factor over the next 3 years.   If I'm being 100% honest, if I am a CFL GM in any city but Winnipeg, I probably pick Gittens over Demski.  But in terms of setting the market, I think the difference is statistically negligible.

People bring up Demski's rushing ability...he doesn't really do that anymore. Maybe once or twice a game a reverse or something is thrown in. But as his receiving totals go up, the rushing goes down. I don't think it's really considered in negotiations.

Anyway, I think Walters pays what we need to do keep Demski...I don't think we reasonably need to get to 200 to do it.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on February 04, 2023, 07:41:48 PM

Me too.  Whitehead can't catch, and gets, dinged up a lot being so tiny.

If ratio wasn't a factor, I'd take Lawler, then Lewis, then Demski.  Demski is one of the best NAT SBs in a generation.  He's so good you could forget he's a NAT.

Quote from: Jesse on February 04, 2023, 11:28:07 PM

Yards don't mean squat.  Gittens doesn't blow open games like Demski does.  Gittens did diddly squat in the GC.  Look at what Demski has accomplished in post-season games since 2019.  Gittens is more of a grunt clutch catcher in the middle.  He's great at that, but it's for getting 2nd down conversions, not for huge explosions.

And Demski is the best slot at also threatening sweeps and even gut-runs.  There's very few plays in the book Demski can't run.

I could see Demski getting close to $200k/year on a 3-year.  If that's where the bar is set, and at worst it's $30 more than we were thinking, then you do it.  It will be a sad day if we have to watch him excel in another team's jersey.
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 05, 2023, 04:28:07 AM
Me too.  Whitehead can't catch, and gets, dinged up a lot being so tiny.

If ratio wasn't a factor, I'd take Lawler, then Lewis, then Demski.  Demski is one of the best NAT SBs in a generation.  He's so good you could forget he's a NAT.

Yards don't mean squat.  Gittens doesn't blow open games like Demski does.  Gittens did diddly squat in the GC.  Look at what Demski has accomplished in post-season games since 2019.  Gittens is more of a grunt clutch catcher in the middle.  He's great at that, but it's for getting 2nd down conversions, not for huge explosions.

And Demski is the best slot at also threatening sweeps and even gut-runs.  There's very few plays in the book Demski can't run.

I could see Demski getting close to $200k/year on a 3-year.  If that's where the bar is set, and at worst it's $30 more than we were thinking, then you do it.  It will be a sad day if we have to watch him excel in another team's jersey.

I haven't agreed with yours and others harsh criticisms of Whitehead in and past nor do I now (hands).  Yes there are many receivers that can catch better with their hands but he gets it done.  Yes he is small and can get hurt but he has also produced routinely.  That said he isn't as desirable as the name below that's for sure.

While I love Demski, Gittens is very good and can have a big impact on games as well.

I do agree if Demski is having a big game he can be a huge x factor.

Both are great and worth the asking price.

I too would love to see Lawyer and Lewis but the asking price will be too high likely with many interested.

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Montreal, Hamilton, and Sask, really haven't sign many of there FAs. A couple of very good DLs, and a number of good WRs. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Dave Naylor Retweeted
Business profile picture
Toronto Argonauts
@TorontoArgos
1h
We have re-signed WR DaVaris Daniels. (@SincerelyToot)

GOLDMEMBER

Maybe if we can lock down a top notch interior DL we could have one amazing front seven!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!