Nationalized American rule begins in 2023

Started by Throw Long Bannatyne, November 29, 2022, 09:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

The ratio changes next year:
8 nationals start, up from 7
One is a Nationalized American (3 years with same team, or 5 in the league)
2 other NA's can sub in for a Canadian a max 49% of snaps per game
only one per side (so 1 on O, 1 on D)

What is the best way for the Bombers to make use of this ratio change?

gobombersgo

With the amount of quality starting Nationsals the Bombers employ I can't really see how they will really benefit from this change.

How many of the Bombers' DIs this past season would have qualified as a National American?

the paw

I've mentioned this in passing in other threads, but I'll recap here since the thread is specific to the issue.

1.  The Nationalized Canadian (8th starter) is a smokescreen, might as well just call it the Veteran import position.  We have a ton of guys who can assume that role: Bryant, Hardrick, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Jefferson.

2.  On defence, I predict they will retire Thomas, and rotate Lawson 50-50 with Ricky Walker.  Walker can also spell Sayles, so he might end up playing 65% of snaps (but only 45% for Lawson).

3.  On offence, I think they will convert Wolitarsky's role to mostly blocking on run plays.  They can then bring in a speedster on obvious passing plays, a guy like McRae for example.  They might use Wolitarsky in this way, but the player could be a more meat and potatoes H back.  So at the very least Wolis market leverage is decreased.

4.  A lot of teams might pair a Canadian RB with an import using this rule.  But Oliveira has looked so good, I doubt they go this way.  But Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa will all look at this probability.  If Harris doesn't retire, the Argos will for sure.
grab grass 'n growl

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: the paw on November 29, 2022, 10:37:17 PM
I've mentioned this in passing in other threads, but I'll recap here since the thread is specific to the issue.

1.  The Nationalized Canadian (8th starter) is a smokescreen, might as well just call it the Veteran import position.  We have a ton of guys who can assume that role: Bryant, Hardrick, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Jefferson.

2.  On defence, I predict they will retire Thomas, and rotate Lawson 50-50 with Ricky Walker.  Walker can also spell Sayles, so he might end up playing 65% of snaps (but only 45% for Lawson).

3.  On offence, I think they will convert Wolitarsky's role to mostly blocking on run plays.  They can then bring in a speedster on obvious passing plays, a guy like McRae for example.  They might use Wolitarsky in this way, but the player could be a more meat and potatoes H back.  So at the very least Wolis market leverage is decreased.

4.  A lot of teams might pair a Canadian RB with an import using this rule.  But Oliveira has looked so good, I doubt they go this way.  But Hamilton, Montreal and Ottawa will all look at this probability.  If Harris doesn't retire, the Argos will for sure.

Not sure on the details but I don't think Ricky Walker or McRae would qualify as Nationalized Americans as they've both been on the PR recently, which means they were cut from the roster.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 29, 2022, 11:04:07 PM
Not sure on the details but I don't think Ricky Walker or McRae would qualify as Nationalized Americans as they've both been on the PR recently, which means they were cut from the roster.

I could be wrong, but I think the 3 year/5 year designation only applies to the Nationalized American who is a full-time starter.  If that criteria applies to all 3 positions, then how the DI position is being used will be radically altered.  Basically, instead of using it for young players to gain experience and work their way into the line-up, it becomes a place to stash aging vets who aren't able to start on a full-time basis.

If that is the case, then I seen guys like Sewell, Micah Johnson, Adam Bighill being able to extend their careers by becoming more situational guys.  I would expect linebacker, DT, and receiver to be the main positions where they deploy the 50-50.
grab grass 'n growl

pjrocksmb

Pete

Mcrae would be an interesting choice as he could sub in for both reciever and runningback

gobombersgo

If Grant re-signs he could sub in for a Canadian receiver.

I agree though this rule does seem to add value to aging Americans.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: the paw on November 30, 2022, 12:30:33 AM
I could be wrong, but I think the 3 year/5 year designation only applies to the Nationalized American who is a full-time starter.  If that criteria applies to all 3 positions, then how the DI position is being used will be radically altered.  Basically, instead of using it for young players to gain experience and work their way into the line-up, it becomes a place to stash aging vets who aren't able to start on a full-time basis.

If that is the case, then I seen guys like Sewell, Micah Johnson, Adam Bighill being able to extend their careers by becoming more situational guys.  I would expect linebacker, DT, and receiver to be the main positions where they deploy the 50-50.

That is wrong. Both the Americans coming in for 49% of snaps and the 8th "Canadian" (if the team chooses an American for the 8th) must all be naturalized Americans (3/5 rule applies to all of them). In 2024 a 3rd naturalized American can play 49% of snaps.

the paw

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on November 30, 2022, 02:11:38 AM
That is wrong. Both the Americans coming in for 49% of snaps and the 8th "Canadian" (if the team chooses an American for the 8th) must all be naturalized Americans (3/5 rule applies to all of them). In 2024 a 3rd naturalized American can play 49% of snaps.

Have you found the text of the current CBA any where?  I've been looking since the earlier post and can't find it, only news stories summarizing the provision.  I'm sure that you're probably right, but I'm curious as to how they worded this.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

I don't really see this actually changing anything much and I've said it before. Every team has veteran imports that will classify as that 8th guy.

The only question I have is do you have to declare which import is that player. If that player is injured during the game can you declare another import? IE: if Bighill is that player and needs to leave the game, do you re-declare Alexander for example?

In any case, it's just over complicating the process with yet another classification. Canadians, Imports, Global and QB's was already more than enough with rules for each.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: the paw on November 30, 2022, 04:08:27 AM
Have you found the text of the current CBA any where?  I've been looking since the earlier post and can't find it, only news stories summarizing the provision.  I'm sure that you're probably right, but I'm curious as to how they worded this.

I'll try and find it again but when they signed the entire CBA was leaked and I read it then.

theaardvark

Quote from: the paw on November 29, 2022, 10:37:17 PM

No.  Just no.  Wolitarsky's value is immense, and behind Demski and Oliviera, he is one of our most important Nat's on O.  Orange is making a strong play, and we might have an issue keeping Demski, Wolitarski and Orange after this year, other teams will target Woli and Orange in the 23-24 offseason no doubt.  Keeping Demski this year is going to be Walters' biggest remaining task, I think...  he will demand a big pay bump.

Here is where a non-SMS loyalty bump would be handy... giving a team the "unfair" ability to reward a player for loyalty, using a small non-SMS slush fund similar to the way they have a limited pool of guaranteed money they can offer in multi year deals.  

Like the "Max" deals in the NBA and NHL that can be used to re-sign a player, this could give a team the ability to retain a few top players for continuity and marketing.  These type of players are the ones that generate merch sales.  So, you could even take that non-SMS funding from merch sales.  Something as simple as being able to offer a max of 3 players $25k guaranteed money each year, paid out from merch sales.

I see the "Naturalized Nat" program as just another way to attack reducing actual Nat ratio eventually.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

the paw

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 30, 2022, 01:01:01 PM
I don't really see this actually changing anything much and I've said it before. Every team has veteran imports that will classify as that 8th guy.

The only question I have is do you have to declare which import is that player. If that player is injured during the game can you declare another import? IE: if Bighill is that player and needs to leave the game, do you re-declare Alexander for example?

In any case, it's just over complicating the process with yet another classification. Canadians, Imports, Global and QB's was already more than enough with rules for each.

I agree that this is an over complication, and there were more efficient and elegant ways to achieve some of the same ends.

I doubt that you can re-designate within a game.  That sounds problematic.

And I agree that the 8th starter is not a huge impact.  But the use of the DI is going to change significantly, and we are going to see the roles of the "last starter" on offence and defence change.  For instance, Demski will remain a full-time starter, but Wolitarsky will lose reps in this scenario.

I think the 50-50 designation is most useful in positions that have a high rotation already.  So one of the ripple effects will be that Canadian DEs may actually become a more valuable commodity. Taking guys like Betts or Menard and working them into a rotation with an older DE like Lemon (or Charleston Hughes from 2019) becomes very attractive. 
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on November 30, 2022, 04:03:29 PM
I agree that this is an over complication, and there were more efficient and elegant ways to achieve some of the same ends.

I doubt that you can re-designate within a game.  That sounds problematic.

And I agree that the 8th starter is not a huge impact.  But the use of the DI is going to change significantly, and we are going to see the roles of the "last starter" on offence and defence change.  For instance, Demski will remain a full-time starter, but Wolitarsky will lose reps in this scenario.

I think the 50-50 designation is most useful in positions that have a high rotation already.  So one of the ripple effects will be that Canadian DEs may actually become a more valuable commodity. Taking guys like Betts or Menard and working them into a rotation with an older DE like Lemon (or Charleston Hughes from 2019) becomes very attractive. 

I don't see it that way. This new classification adds an 8th starter to what is now only 7. It's just calling / re-naming that veteran import a " Canadian so to speak. That 8th player is already going to be a full time starter.

That can't be achieved by pulling a regular Canadian starter and replacing him with a DI for any period of time.  For the most part our DI's have would not have qualified with the exception of Grant.

Nationalized Americans might be similar in a sense to what we see with DI's now. You list a number of those that are qualified and as long as one is one the field he becomes the 8th guy.

Using the 2022 roster on offence: Bailey, Bryant, Hardrick, Collaros and Ellingson would qualify. If any one of those players was injured during the game, we'd already almost certainly use an actual Canadian as the fill in. Grant would have been the only DI that could have gone in as a receiver. A Canadian would be the back up on the OL ( no Global would have qualified ).

Grant would be the only veteran import that could step in on offence. However the issue is which import is the Nationalized American?

I need to see this in practice I suppose.
2019 Grey Cup Champions