I freaking told you.

Started by famicommander, November 21, 2022, 01:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Disregarding FG's and extra points, this is how Leggs compared to the Argos kickers.

PUNTING
LIEGGHIO, Marc   8/313   39.1 avg.
HAGGERTY, John 6/295   49.2 avg.

KICKOFFS
LIEGGHIO, Marc   4/234   58.5 avg.
BEDE, Boris 3/218           72.7 avg.

For those who can't do the math, that adds up to a big difference in field position.

dd

So was Castillo deemed to be too expensive to go 5 for 5 in a pressure filled, go to overtime grey cup, and if so, 'find' the dollars necessary to sign him or LH and we wouldn't be going through this pain right now.If there is a lesson to be learned here, you HAVE to have a reliable placekicker if you're going to win in this league

bluengold204

Quote from: dd on November 23, 2022, 12:47:02 AM
So was Castillo deemed to be too expensive to go 5 for 5 in a pressure filled, go to overtime grey cup, and if so, 'find' the dollars necessary to sign him or LH and we wouldn't be going through this pain right now.If there is a lesson to be learned here, you HAVE to have a reliable placekicker if you're going to win in this league

Give it a rest already? Leggs is not the reason we lost, there was plenty of mistakes that went around.  All of which resulted in the L

Bomber Diehard

BC kicker Sean Whyte is a free agent.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 22, 2022, 10:34:56 PM
Disregarding FG's and extra points, this is how Leggs compared to the Argos kickers.

PUNTING
LIEGGHIO, Marc   8/313   39.1 avg.
HAGGERTY, John 6/295   49.2 avg.

KICKOFFS
LIEGGHIO, Marc   4/234   58.5 avg.
BEDE, Boris 3/218           72.7 avg.

For those who can't do the math, that adds up to a big difference in field position.

Comparison with or without wind would be more specific.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

kevan

One of my biggest takes from Liegghio is that for someone who is an average kicker he will never come out at halftime and do any warm up Fgs or punts. He is the only kicker in the league that does this. I remember Medlock would come out for 8 minutes sometimes practicing. Just a little thing I?ve noticed about him.

Tee42

Stats are no indication of what skill or ranking a kicker is.  Winnipeg plays the field game because they know the D is very strong. Therefore the punter needs to be able to strategically place the ball deep and between the numbers and the sideline. Please review all film from all teams and see where their punters  place the ball. Most times they boot it down the middle of the field looking for distance and hope their cover teams stops the run back. Leggs is the best directional punter with net yards in the league. When Winnipeg says punt the ball, they just don?t mean boot it down the field as far as you can there?s a strategy behind it, and that takes away from stats. For those of you that really follow the team. You will see that  O?Shea said we ask a lot from Leggs  He has a lot of different kicks in his arsenal. Leggs kick offs were on average around the 15-20, there were adjustments made and he started kicking them deeper after the halfway point of the season. Problem fixed.
Also, for all of those that are saying that final field goal that was blocked in the Grey cup Leggs was going wide left. The wind was blowing to the right. Therefore you kick it to the left and the wind will take it to the right and go through. this kid knows what he?s doing. The problem here is that Winnipeg will never accept him after having Medlock for years, and Sergio come in and save the day in the 108th Grey Cup. Review the distances of the field goals in that game.
Also, Prukop and Benson have been inconsistent with snap and holds. Leggs can only kick what he is given. Review film and see where Leggs catches balls for punts and how Prukop catches balls on field goals. Laces, spinning balls and timing.  Medlock would lose his mind.

The best thing for this young kicker?s career is to be traded. Winnipeg will never be happy with Leggs. He is the only Canadian doing all 3 in the league. Coaches realize the value and his value. He is 25.

No more posts from me on this topic.  

Winnipeg lost on all fronts. We are still a great team. Back to Hamilton for the win.

Tee42

Quote from: kevan on November 23, 2022, 01:43:24 AM
One of my biggest takes from Liegghio is that for someone who is an average kicker he will never come out at halftime and do any warm up Fgs or punts. He is the only kicker in the league that does this. I remember Medlock would come out for 8 minutes sometimes practicing. Just a little thing I?ve noticed about him.
This shows me that you have no idea what you?re talking about. The only time legs did not come out to warm up at half time was during the Grey cup because the halftime show was going on. Don?t start ****. Getting really tired of people talking out of turn.

kevan

Believe me I?m there all the time and he doesn?t do any kicks at halftime. Not trying to start anything just something I?ve noticed.

Tee42

No you?re not. No need to stir up ****.  Both teams come out at halftime and kick to warm up. There was nowhere to kick at halftime during the Grey cup with all those speakers on the field. Stop stirring up ****.

dd

You said no more posts from you on this topic, stick to your word

kevan

Again I wasn?t at the grey cup so I?m not talking about that but every other game he doesn?t kick warm ups at halftime. Maybe he does into the net but that useless when you have a field. I?m not trying to stir anything up I have had season tickets for almost 20 years I just thought it was weird that a kicker doesn?t use the time like the other kickers to warm up and practice. Chill out buddy.

Pigskin

Quote from: bluengold204 on November 23, 2022, 12:50:44 AM
Give it a rest already? Leggs is not the reason we lost, there was plenty of mistakes that went around.  All of which resulted in the L

Well, he is not the only reason we lost.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 23, 2022, 01:14:18 AM
Comparison with or without wind would be more specific.

You're welcome to provide that information if you want to compile it.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 23, 2022, 03:52:57 PM
You're welcome to provide that information if you want to compile it.

Nope. I was just pointing out that results are more than pure net math. Kicking for distance is not always the required outcome. A kicker may be required to short kick inside the 10 yard line for example. A kick may be partially blocked or avoiding block pressure resulting in a shorter than expected punt. Different teams have different opponents and weather conditions for each game.

Wind velocity and / or direction influence strategy to give cover teams best opportunity to cover.

However, whether it's strategy or capability the Bombers did seem to have shorter K/O's in general than many teams. That would be fine if they prevented long returns, but that was not always the case. In theory a longer K/O makes it easier for the returner to get up to speed before the cover guys approach.

I didn't like our coverage teams all season.

2019 Grey Cup Champions