Blue Bombers add to practice roster - September 25, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 25, 2022, 03:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add to practice roster - September 25, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., September 25, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American defensive end Bronson Massie.

Massie (6-4, 253, Kansas State; born: November 4, 1997, in Lufkin, TX) joins the Blue Bombers following a five-year college career with the Kansas State Wildcats. The standout defensive end played in 53 games as a Wildcat and capped off his college career with three sacks in the Texas Bowl against LSU. As a member of the Wildcats, Massie totalled 53 tackles, 7.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, and 3 passes defended. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pigskin

Nice to see we have signed a DL. Big guy with lots of speed.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

DM83

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: DM83 on September 25, 2022, 08:36:20 PM
Sounds like jeffcoat should be sat down

Cmon, this guy haven't stepped on the CFL field yet and lots of things to know in the CFL game.

Pigskin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on September 25, 2022, 08:52:45 PM
Cmon, this guy haven't stepped on the CFL field yet and lots of things to know in the CFL game.

Agree, I was reading on another thread where someone said they were disappointed in Cooper, Hassell, and Cole. Guy's that play American football their whole life take time to learn the Canadian game. This guy seems to have great speed but replacing JJ. Only if JJ is hurt and can't play.  And then he is probably still behind Wilcots on the depth chart.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

GOLDMEMBER

Hopefully he is a gamer we will likely need him at some point!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 25, 2022, 09:42:06 PM
Agree, I was reading on another thread where someone said they were disappointed in Cooper, Hassell, and Cole. Guy's that play American football their whole life take time to learn the Canadian game. This guy seems to have great speed but replacing JJ. Only if JJ is hurt and can't play.  And then he is probably still behind Wilcots on the depth chart.

That was me. Cole has been on the roster for 7 games and was signed on July 12th. He was with the Elks earlier.  We see rookies come to the CFL and stand out from game one. Not all but many.

Schoen and Rutledge made an immediate impact this year.  Nichols and Alford in 2021. When there are injuries those DI's need to step up and step on the field.

It's not just that they haven't made an impact but the slow pace looking for talent where we've had substantial injuries. Mack was a failure. Wilcots is barely clinging on to even a PR spot.

Cole can't beat out Gauthier? Yikes.

McCrae is a rookie and he's touched the ball 29 times on offence for about 260 yards in 11 games. I'd safe he's adapting quickly to the CFL.

I don't know anything about this new DE but would it really surprise anybody if he made the AR before Wilcots does? Wilcots was in TC and we've added 3 rookies to the AR that were late additions.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

blueraid

This Masse kid looks great......Good motor and nose for the ball.....With Jeffcoat getting nic'd in the last game, it looks like something that keeps reoccuring ...We might see this guy sooner rather than later BUT it depends on how quick he can pick up our game

TecnoGenius

Is this Mafia's way of telling us Jeffcoat is going to be out for a few games?

If JJ has something going on, might want to rest him for the stretch and start fresh in the playoffs.  JJ is very important, but I think we can still win the remaining games without him.  They should all be free bingos spots.

P.S. I liked Mack when he got D reps, good motor, always chasing the ball even when it's not in his area.  Must have been something the Mafia didn't like.  Or we just had too many guys.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 25, 2022, 09:55:02 PM
That was me. Cole has been on the roster for 7 games and was signed on July 12th. He was with the Elks earlier.  We see rookies come to the CFL and stand out from game one. Not all but many.

Schoen and Rutledge made an immediate impact this year.  Nichols and Alford in 2021. When there are injuries those DI's need to step up and step on the field.

It's not just that they haven't made an impact but the slow pace looking for talent where we've had substantial injuries. Mack was a failure. Wilcots is barely clinging on to even a PR spot.

Cole can't beat out Gauthier? Yikes.

McCrae is a rookie and he's touched the ball 29 times on offence for about 260 yards in 11 games. I'd safe he's adapting quickly to the CFL.

I don't know anything about this new DE but would it really surprise anybody if he made the AR before Wilcots does? Wilcots was in TC and we've added 3 rookies to the AR that were late additions.

I'm pretty disappointed with both Wilcots and Mack before him, neither stood out and they have very few highlights to show for their time with the team.  DE is not a super complicated position to learn or play, job #1 is to harass the QB in any way possible with the natural talent given, secondary skills like containment evolve over time for DE's with good pursuit skills.  Those two just didn't do enough QB harassing to warrant keeping IMO. Hopefully Walters keeps bringing them in until they find the right stone cold killer to compliment the two Jeffs.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blueraid on September 26, 2022, 01:08:36 AM
This Masse kid looks great......Good motor and nose for the ball.....With Jeffcoat getting nic'd in the last game, it looks like something that keeps reoccuring ...We might see this guy sooner rather than later BUT it depends on how quick he can pick up our game

You always have to be wary of highlight film, especially college football, half the time the "highlight" is the result of a breakdown by the opponent.  In this case with many of his sacks, he wasn't even blocked and has a straight shot at the QB.  He does look fast and aggressive so hopefully that translates well to the CFL game.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: DM83 on September 25, 2022, 08:36:20 PM
Sounds like jeffcoat should be sat down
Sits if injured or nicked up and needs a break, otherwise hard no.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 25, 2022, 09:55:02 PM

Just a reminder that at this time last year Houston wasn't allowed on the field because he was a liability, this year he's transformed into their best DB.  Sometimes it takes time.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 26, 2022, 03:10:03 AM
Just a reminder that at this time last year Houston wasn't allowed on the field because he was a liability, this year he's transformed into their best DB.  Sometimes it takes time.

Not exactly correct. Look at the talent we had at DB in 2021. Even in relief, Houston showed some talent and made plays. I get that it takes time but that still means getting reps during a game.

In 4 games in 2021, Houston had 7 DT's and 3 ST's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions