Blue Bombers add to practice roster - September 20, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 20, 2022, 03:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on September 20, 2022, 09:43:41 PM
His brother Ranthony Texada.was actually on our training camp roster but was cut

Yes, TLB said that earlier. Mite like to have him back now.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

The #Saints have signed G Yasir Durant to the practice squad and terminated the practice squad contract of G Drew Desjarlais.

This is a tweet from the New Orlean Saints.

Pigskin

Would be nice to get him back in Blue and Gold. It wouldn't cost us much for the rest of the season, but next year we will have to make a hard decision on a couple of OL's that are getting up there if we want to pay him what he is worth. 

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 03:00:16 AM
Would be nice to get him back in Blue and Gold. It wouldn't cost us much for the rest of the season, but next year we will have to make a hard decision on a couple of OL's that are getting up there if we want to pay him what he is worth. 

Kind of necessary though - if you want Zach to be worth his contract - you have to protect him and give him weapons.
My wife is amazing!

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 03:00:16 AM

Agree.
I would guess our OL will be gutted by the off-season because on retirements - Bryant, Hardrick and Neufeld.
Couture might opt out in free-agency and play closer to home and with Rourke.
So we will be left with Gray, Kolankowski, Dobson and the Americans on PR. I would like to think there's enough room for $ next year.

Jesse

Hardrick has said he's going to play until someone rips the jersey off his back.

I'd expect Bryant to retire - but I don't see anyone else moving on.
My wife is amazing!

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Jesse on September 21, 2022, 04:48:54 PM
Hardrick has said he's going to play until someone rips the jersey off his back.

Yoshi and Paddy are 33 and 34 respectively next year. And considering they are often hurt compared to Stan, it's not far-fetched that they might consider retiring too. There's nothing else to prove regardless if they get or don't get a 3rd.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on September 21, 2022, 04:48:54 PM

Same, they may have 1 retirement but not 3.  Problem is their salaries keep rising and sooner or later they're going to find cheaper replacements who are very good, especially on the 2 ends.

Blue In BC

Just looking at our current roster ( unofficial current roster ) we're in a similar position to what was happening towards free agency in 2022. Most of our teams starters are potential free agents going into 2023.  That may be the year to year norm in the new era.

Who might retire, move in free agency is just he dynamics of free agency. Some contracts will be increased to re-sign some players and others may be reduced.

To that end I don't see an attempt to re-sign Desjarlais as a financial constraint if he chooses to return to Winnipeg. Part of that is just because we're in the last few games of the regular season and what I just mentioned about our roster will be seeing changes in 2023. Some will be voluntary and others will be forced due to SMS limits. Same as every other team.

Our advantage is players really wanting to stay and play in Winnipeg. That doesn't hold true in every other city. Money talks but so does continuity for players.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 05:04:50 PM
Just looking at our current roster ( unofficial current roster ) we're in a similar position to what was happening towards free agency in 2022. Most of our teams starters are potential free agents going into 2023.  That may be the year to year norm in the new era.

Where can you see their current contract status?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 21, 2022, 05:12:28 PM
Where can you see their current contract status?

It's in the forum titles with that name about 12 from the top. How accurate it is IDK. It's just a guide and as I mentioned somewhat similar to end of 2021 going into 2022. Lots of vets just signing 1 year deals. Nothing to lose sleep over, just info.

I see the Lions have released DT Tim Bonner because Woody Baron is coming off their IR for the 1st time in 2022. He might be worth a call to his agent. He has some CFL experience and would be better depth than an outright rookie. That's if he doesn't accept a PR spot with the Lions.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 05:17:05 PM
It's in the forum titles with that name about 12 from the top. How accurate it is IDK. It's just a guide and as I mentioned somewhat similar to end of 2021 going into 2022. Lots of vets just signing 1 year deals. Nothing to lose sleep over, just info.

I see the Lions have released DT Tim Bonner because Woody Baron is coming off their IR for the 1st time in 2022. He might be worth a call to his agent. He has some CFL experience and would be better depth than an outright rookie. That's if he doesn't accept a PR spot with the Lions.

Thanks for the info. 

I also see Natl. receiver Mike Jones just signed with the Als PR, (not that I ever wanted him) but the Bombers could have snagged him for depth, as has been already discussed a few times.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 21, 2022, 05:57:39 PM
Thanks for the info. 

I also see Natl. receiver Mike Jones just signed with the Als PR, (not that I ever wanted him) but the Bombers could have snagged him for depth, as has been already discussed a few times.

Re: Mike Jones or any other free agent.

We never really know whether he was approached by the Bombers. He may have preferred Montreal as a better option for opportunity to play etc etc. We may have felt that O'Leary-Orange was very good depth and he's shown well last week.

Can't make room for everybody and not everybody chooses to land in Winnipeg.

I had the same thought when Woli was injured but because we had the option of using an import it seemed less important at the time.

Roster, SMS decisions and players choices are complicated.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Can't see Neufled or Hardrick retiring after this season. Both playing well and pretty healthy. Bryant at 37 could retire?

theaardvark

Continuity s key... the one contract no one is mentioning is MOS. 

To get any of the players to "continue", we need to make sure MOS is under contract... without his name on a deal, we could lose a lot of players to FA. Especially if he moves to another CFL team...

Walters is signed through 2023.. not sure Miller's deal, but MOS is the most important signing on the team in my honest opinion.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.