Blue Bombers add to practice roster - September 20, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, September 20, 2022, 03:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers add to practice roster - September 20, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., September 20, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed three American players to the practice roster; defensive back Raleigh Texada as well as offensive linemen Payton Muljo and Liam Fornadel. 

Texada (5-10, 188, Baylor; born: June 30, 1998 in Frisco, TX) comes to Winnipeg after a five-year career at Baylor. After redshirting in 2016, Texada earned more and more playing time over the course of his career, going on to start 32 of 37 as part of Baylor's secondary. Texada finished his college career with 142 tackles and four interceptions and was named to the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll four times. 

Muljo (6-6, 305, Northern Michigan; born: August 6, 1998, in Marquette, MI) joins the Blue Bombers after a four-year college career with the Wildcats. Muljo appeared in 19 games at left tackle, helping the Wildcats reach a new single-season rushing record in 2018 and in 2021, was named an All-GLIAC honourable mention. 

Fornadel (6-5, 311, James Madison University; born: June 17, 1999, in Wyckoff, NJ) comes to Winnipeg after a five-year college career with the Dukes. Fornadel was a part of one of the best pass-blocking offensive lines in the nation. To finish out his career at JMU, the offensive lineman was named HERO Sports FCS Second Team All-American, VaSID First Team All-State, and FCS Preseason First Team All-American.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Interesting, a couple of big Americans for the OL, good time to audition for OT replacements, in case this is Bryant's last season.  Texada is the younger brother of the DB now playing for the Als, who was in Bombers TC earlier this year.

Blue In BC

OL candidates are interesting but of the least importance at the moment. Ok, we added one more DB and may be adding more during the bye but we need DB's and LB's to beef up our roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Good.
Love to see some younger guys, just in case we have some injuries.
Plus maybe get these new guys some playing time, once we clench 1st.
Actually, even after the bye Mr. Hardwrick looks like he could use a couple of weeks rest.  Then the next week Stanley could have another rest week.

Lol!

Texada could replace any one of four DBs from the Hamilton game, like yesterdy

Pigskin

His brother is now on Montreal's PR. Both of them have tons of speed.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Pigskin on September 20, 2022, 05:08:31 PM
Are you referring to Texada's brother?
Bomber fan for life

LXTSN

Pigskin

Would be nice to pick up another DE. We now have 5 OL's on the PR, one on the 6 game who has been there all year.

We have one DE on the PR, Wilcots who hasn't been impressive when he does play.

Pigskin

Raleigh Texada has run a 40 in 4:35. NFL test day ran a 4:40 and had a vertical jump of 37" This kid should be able to close in a hurry.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pigskin on September 20, 2022, 05:57:20 PM
Would be nice to pick up another DE. We now have 5 OL's on the PR, one on the 6 game who has been there all year.

We have one DE on the PR, Wilcots who hasn't been impressive when he does play.

Exactly. Maybe that still happens during the bye but that's a lot of OL. IIRC Richmond was close to healthy and they seem him on him. In adding new OL to the PR, it may be that we're dropping some other OL? Time will tell.

Regardless. Most of our DI's are on defence and most of our injuries are on defence ( 8 of 12 ).

Add some bodies for depth at the very least.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 20, 2022, 06:48:49 PM
Exactly. Maybe that still happens during the bye but that's a lot of OL. IIRC Richmond was close to healthy and they seem him on him. In adding new OL to the PR, it may be that we're dropping some other OL? Time will tell.

Regardless. Most of our DI's are on defence and most of our injuries are on defence ( 8 of 12 ).

Add some bodies for depth at the very least.

I wonder what happens now that Couture is back, are they going to keep Dobson and Kolankowski on the active roster or shuffle one of them onto the PR.  They really can't afford to dress 7 again, with the lack of depth on the D.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 20, 2022, 07:17:21 PM
I wonder what happens now that Couture is back, are they going to keep Dobson and Kolankowski on the active roster or shuffle one of them onto the PR.  They really can't afford to dress 7 again, with the lack of depth on the D.

Well, if they want to keep developing Dobson, Kolski will have to go to the 1 game or PR.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 20, 2022, 07:17:21 PM

They can dress 7 for now.  There aren't really any other Canadians to activate until either Woli or Noah Hallett come off the 1 game IR. An extra Canadian DB might less valuable than a 7th OL, although Hallett could be useful on ST's.

IMO it's more likely we stay with 7 OL until Woli is healthy.

EDIT: When that happens one of those OL will be moved to the 1 game IR, not the PR.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pete

Quote from: Pigskin on September 20, 2022, 05:08:31 PM
His brother Ranthony Texada.was actually on our training camp roster but was cut

Pigskin

Didn't Kolankowski67 signed a 2-year deal in the off season. He really did a great job stepping in for Couture.

Pigskin

Quote from: Pete on September 20, 2022, 09:43:41 PM
His brother Ranthony Texada.was actually on our training camp roster but was cut

Yes, TLB said that earlier. Mite like to have him back now.

Throw Long Bannatyne

The #Saints have signed G Yasir Durant to the practice squad and terminated the practice squad contract of G Drew Desjarlais.

This is a tweet from the New Orlean Saints.

Pigskin

Would be nice to get him back in Blue and Gold. It wouldn't cost us much for the rest of the season, but next year we will have to make a hard decision on a couple of OL's that are getting up there if we want to pay him what he is worth. 

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 03:00:16 AM
Would be nice to get him back in Blue and Gold. It wouldn't cost us much for the rest of the season, but next year we will have to make a hard decision on a couple of OL's that are getting up there if we want to pay him what he is worth. 

Kind of necessary though - if you want Zach to be worth his contract - you have to protect him and give him weapons.
My wife is amazing!

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 03:00:16 AM

Agree.
I would guess our OL will be gutted by the off-season because on retirements - Bryant, Hardrick and Neufeld.
Couture might opt out in free-agency and play closer to home and with Rourke.
So we will be left with Gray, Kolankowski, Dobson and the Americans on PR. I would like to think there's enough room for $ next year.

Jesse

Hardrick has said he's going to play until someone rips the jersey off his back.

I'd expect Bryant to retire - but I don't see anyone else moving on.
My wife is amazing!

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Jesse on September 21, 2022, 04:48:54 PM
Hardrick has said he's going to play until someone rips the jersey off his back.

Yoshi and Paddy are 33 and 34 respectively next year. And considering they are often hurt compared to Stan, it's not far-fetched that they might consider retiring too. There's nothing else to prove regardless if they get or don't get a 3rd.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on September 21, 2022, 04:48:54 PM

Same, they may have 1 retirement but not 3.  Problem is their salaries keep rising and sooner or later they're going to find cheaper replacements who are very good, especially on the 2 ends.

Blue In BC

Just looking at our current roster ( unofficial current roster ) we're in a similar position to what was happening towards free agency in 2022. Most of our teams starters are potential free agents going into 2023.  That may be the year to year norm in the new era.

Who might retire, move in free agency is just he dynamics of free agency. Some contracts will be increased to re-sign some players and others may be reduced.

To that end I don't see an attempt to re-sign Desjarlais as a financial constraint if he chooses to return to Winnipeg. Part of that is just because we're in the last few games of the regular season and what I just mentioned about our roster will be seeing changes in 2023. Some will be voluntary and others will be forced due to SMS limits. Same as every other team.

Our advantage is players really wanting to stay and play in Winnipeg. That doesn't hold true in every other city. Money talks but so does continuity for players.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 05:04:50 PM
Just looking at our current roster ( unofficial current roster ) we're in a similar position to what was happening towards free agency in 2022. Most of our teams starters are potential free agents going into 2023.  That may be the year to year norm in the new era.

Where can you see their current contract status?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 21, 2022, 05:12:28 PM
Where can you see their current contract status?

It's in the forum titles with that name about 12 from the top. How accurate it is IDK. It's just a guide and as I mentioned somewhat similar to end of 2021 going into 2022. Lots of vets just signing 1 year deals. Nothing to lose sleep over, just info.

I see the Lions have released DT Tim Bonner because Woody Baron is coming off their IR for the 1st time in 2022. He might be worth a call to his agent. He has some CFL experience and would be better depth than an outright rookie. That's if he doesn't accept a PR spot with the Lions.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 05:17:05 PM
It's in the forum titles with that name about 12 from the top. How accurate it is IDK. It's just a guide and as I mentioned somewhat similar to end of 2021 going into 2022. Lots of vets just signing 1 year deals. Nothing to lose sleep over, just info.

I see the Lions have released DT Tim Bonner because Woody Baron is coming off their IR for the 1st time in 2022. He might be worth a call to his agent. He has some CFL experience and would be better depth than an outright rookie. That's if he doesn't accept a PR spot with the Lions.

Thanks for the info. 

I also see Natl. receiver Mike Jones just signed with the Als PR, (not that I ever wanted him) but the Bombers could have snagged him for depth, as has been already discussed a few times.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on September 21, 2022, 05:57:39 PM
Thanks for the info. 

I also see Natl. receiver Mike Jones just signed with the Als PR, (not that I ever wanted him) but the Bombers could have snagged him for depth, as has been already discussed a few times.

Re: Mike Jones or any other free agent.

We never really know whether he was approached by the Bombers. He may have preferred Montreal as a better option for opportunity to play etc etc. We may have felt that O'Leary-Orange was very good depth and he's shown well last week.

Can't make room for everybody and not everybody chooses to land in Winnipeg.

I had the same thought when Woli was injured but because we had the option of using an import it seemed less important at the time.

Roster, SMS decisions and players choices are complicated.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Pigskin

Can't see Neufled or Hardrick retiring after this season. Both playing well and pretty healthy. Bryant at 37 could retire?

theaardvark

Continuity s key... the one contract no one is mentioning is MOS. 

To get any of the players to "continue", we need to make sure MOS is under contract... without his name on a deal, we could lose a lot of players to FA. Especially if he moves to another CFL team...

Walters is signed through 2023.. not sure Miller's deal, but MOS is the most important signing on the team in my honest opinion.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on September 21, 2022, 08:04:11 PM

To get any of the players to "continue", we need to make sure MOS is under contract... without his name on a deal, we could lose a lot of players to FA. Especially if he moves to another CFL team...

Walters is signed through 2023.. not sure Miller's deal, but MOS is the most important signing on the team in my honest opinion.

Anything is possible including O'Shea leaving but IMO that doesn't happen. Could just as easily jump on the Collaros leaving bandwagon. He's on a 1 year deal.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on September 21, 2022, 08:47:04 PM
Anything is possible including O'Shea leaving but IMO that doesn't happen. Could just as easily jump on the Collaros leaving bandwagon. He's on a 1 year deal.

I don't think you'd have any players walking if Collaros chose a different team... but if MOS did, that's a huge dynamic change.

So no, Collaros is not an easy jump...

Not saying MOS will leave, is likely to leave, but he could possibly leave, as he has no deal in place as we speak.  I'd far prefer we did not have this as a possibility.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on September 21, 2022, 08:52:54 PM
I don't think you'd have any players walking if Collaros chose a different team... but if MOS did, that's a huge dynamic change.

Not saying MOS will leave, is likely to leave, but he could possibly leave, as he has no deal in place as we speak.  I'd far prefer we did not have this as a possibility.

MOS is my neighbor; I say to him all the time. So, the rumor on the bomber board is you might leave, and then he laughs. I will let you guys know if his house goes up for sale. 

Jesse

Because no one's worried about it.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on September 21, 2022, 08:52:54 PM

Offensive players follow QB's all the time.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

NewBlue

I would agree that MOS's contract has to be the most important. Last contract didn't he say he didn't want to work on it during the season?  Could be they've agreed to discuss it after the sason is done. I would hope it is a top priority, because it will have impact on every other signing.

NewBlue

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 07:06:37 PM
Can't see Neufled or Hardrick retiring after this season. Both playing well and pretty healthy. Bryant at 37 could retire?

Ya, I think we'd have to expect at least 1 retirement on the OLine, but have to be prepared for more.  I like that they are getting a good look at possible replacements, even if they never step on the field.
Neufeld & Hardrick might not have had a major injury this year, but they've been hobbled by smaller ones for years. Of the 3 I think Hardrick plays the longest.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Pigskin on September 21, 2022, 09:18:51 PM
MOS is my neighbor; I say to him all the time. So, the rumor on the bomber board is you might leave, and then he laughs. I will let you guys know if his house goes up for sale. 
really he is your neighbour? How awesome is that?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

DM83

Huh?

Hardrick  hobbles the most, and gets beat the most often.  The other two rarely get beat and dont look hobbled.

Pigskin

Everyone is a little banged up at time of the year.

By the Numbers:

Bryant 36   12 years/ 183 games.  Has been pretty healthy his whole career.
Neufled 33. 11 years/113 games. He has had some injuries, pretty healthy the last two years.
Hardrick 32. 8 years/112 games. He usually missed a couple of games per year.

These are regular season games only.

Can't see Neufled retiring. Playing at an elite level right now.

Hardrick gets beat once in a while but is still pretty good.

Bryant is the old dog of the crew. Gets beat a little more often now, but still one of the best.

pjrocksmb

These older American vet OL are well paid and won't retire until they absolutely have to.  If anything someone else will sign them for a one year deal if we don't.

DM83

Those guys as a unit don't make the same mistake twice, and that  includes Buck calling the right plays, Zac escaping pressure and the backs and receivers blocking. It appears they all work together to prevent sacks.

Jeffcoat being hurt all year has resulted in less efficiency.  Meanwhile Willie seems to be making a less than a consistent effort and seems to be picking his spots.  And Bighill also looks like something is wrong with one of his arms.

LXTSN

Quote from: DM83 on September 23, 2022, 02:41:09 PM
Those guys as a unit don't make the same mistake twice, and that  includes Buck calling the right plays, Zac escaping pressure and the backs and receivers blocking. It appears they all work together to prevent sacks.

Jeffcoat being hurt all year has resulted in less efficiency.  Meanwhile Willie seems to be making a less than a consistent effort and seems to be picking his spots.  And Bighill also looks like something is wrong with one of his arms.
Bighill has been dealing with a shoulder issue for the past month or two. Really hoping he takes the bye week to heal up! Aside from Collaros, he is our most important player in my opinion.

Pete

The main issue is that we don't have anyone to replace him effectively With Clements out we are weak at lb.

DM83

There have to be a lot of US Born dudes that are similar to Bighill size that have zero shot in the NFL, but still want to play.  That's the guy you have to get.

guyinfla89

Doubtful a 5'10" guy is going to help much in the secondary?  We need to replace Parker asap.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: guyinfla89 on September 23, 2022, 06:56:57 PM
Doubtful a 5'10" guy is going to help much in the secondary?  We need to replace Parker asap.

Parker has been making good plays.  Halfway through the painful WPG@HAM rewatch and Parker is close to the ball and making shoestring tackles all over the place.

I think the weak link that game was Holm, and I would expect we sit him in the next game (unless we think we'll easily hose SSK).

I also think Hall was simplifying the D for the 2 new field-side guys.  We played a lot of zone or mixed zone.  And I think Parker/Holm are still under strict instructions to play off their man to cut off the explosion.  And it mostly worked.  Unfortunately, that let Evans get consistent 10+ yard gains throwing wide to Parker's man.  And we didn't shut it off because we didn't want Parker/Holm to get beat over the top.

This is a deliberate decision by Hall.

I would shuffle BA into CB or HB (either side), leave Parker where he is, and have the extra vet play CB on Parker's side.  Hallett starts FS again.
Never go full Rider!

NewBlue

Huh, live I thought Holm had the better game and that Parker was burnt a couple times.  I didn't rewatch though, and will have to take your word.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 23, 2022, 09:25:12 PM
Parker has been making good plays.  Halfway through the painful WPG@HAM rewatch and Parker is close to the ball and making shoestring tackles all over the place.

I think the weak link that game was Holm, and I would expect we sit him in the next game (unless we think we'll easily hose SSK).

I also think Hall was simplifying the D for the 2 new field-side guys.  We played a lot of zone or mixed zone.  And I think Parker/Holm are still under strict instructions to play off their man to cut off the explosion.  And it mostly worked.  Unfortunately, that let Evans get consistent 10+ yard gains throwing wide to Parker's man.  And we didn't shut it off because we didn't want Parker/Holm to get beat over the top.

This is a deliberate decision by Hall.

I would shuffle BA into CB or HB (either side), leave Parker where he is, and have the extra vet play CB on Parker's side.  Hallett starts FS again.

Holm isn't sitting

TecnoGenius

Quote from: NewBlue on September 23, 2022, 09:29:58 PM
Huh, live I thought Holm had the better game and that Parker was burnt a couple times.  I didn't rewatch though, and will have to take your word.
Quote from: pjrocksmb on September 24, 2022, 02:52:36 AM
Holm isn't sitting

Holm might get another shot next week since SSK should be a free bingo spot.  He's 3 games short of Parker on games dressed this year, and far less games than that started.  Parker's had more time to get used to things.

Parker seems to be in position more often, and Holm (from my guesses watching) seems to be doing the wrong thing.  That is the explosion plays on the strong side.

Both Holm/Parker are being limited by Hall to play off guys.  Biggie said it best in his post-game last week, we concentrate most on not giving up the explosions.  Hall doesn't mind the 5-15 yard wide outs, etc.  It makes Parker look bad, but it's Hall making him play off and then come in and clean up.  And he did a great job of that.  Parker wasn't whiffing on many tackles.

Holm might be ok, but he's just too green.  We are instantly more effective putting a 2 GC vet at field halfback, whether that's BA or Nichols.  BA is being wasted in a manner we cannot afford at the moment.  Hallett can do a good enough FS job and has already established his own presence and rep back there.
Never go full Rider!