Blue Bombers Transactions - August 30, 2022

Started by ModAdmin, August 31, 2022, 02:25:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Blue Bombers Transactions - August 30, 2022

WINNIPEG, MB., August 30, 2022 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has signed American linebacker DeJuan Cooper and American receiver Jaivon Heiligh to the practice roster.

Cooper (6-3, 240, South Dakota, June 1, 1999, in Germantown, Maryland) joins the Blue Bombers after a five-year college career in which the first four years took place at Monmouth University and finishing his final season with the South Dakota Coyotes. The linebacker appeared in 53 games throughout that time registering 143 tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, 7 sacks, and an interception

Heiligh (6-2, 200, Coastal Carolina; born: September 2, 1999, in Venice, Florida) joins the Blue Bombers after a four-year college career with the Chanticleers. During that time, he appeared in 45 games and amassed 191 receptions, 2,825 yards, and 22 touchdowns. The wide receiver was twice named to the First team All-Sun Belt in 2020 and 2021. Heiligh set a Cure Bowl record by hauling in 13 catches and left Coastal Carolina as the programs leading receiver in yards and receptions. 

Before joining the Blue Bombers this season, Heiligh spent time with the Cincinnati Bengals during their 2022 training camp. 
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

pjrocksmb

Some impressive stats here let's hope they can impress on the practice roster if we need them get into the games and make some plays

TecnoGenius

We need an IMP LB?  Huh?  Not happy at WILL?  Or extra depth at SAM?  I'd have thought getting more DBs would be more of a priority.
Never go full Rider!

M.O.A.B.

We need people at PR. I am thinking Houston and Rene might go to the IR this week.

3rdand1.5

Pretty sure Rene is done for the season, and based on how he went down, guessing Houston misses at least a few weeks

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 31, 2022, 03:19:56 AM
We need an IMP LB?  Huh?  Not happy at WILL?  Or extra depth at SAM?  I'd have thought getting more DBs would be more of a priority.

Actually he sounds like depth at MLB. We added Cole to the roster as depth after Wilson was injured. So this is just more insurance and competition with Cole IMO. Interestingly he's the same size as Jeffcoat more or less. So title aside he might be a player that can fit in at DE if he has some speed. His stats are impressive. High tackles and tackles behind LOS.

EDIT: On our roster they list him at 224 lbs and as a DB. So that might make him a candidate at SAM. He could be a versatile player.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

remember LB is usually where they played down south, although some show him as a DB.  Might be a DE here... 6'3, 240... Hansen is 6'2 250... wonder what Coopers wingspan is.  77 7/8... Jefferson is 82 1/2 for reference...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 31, 2022, 03:48:26 PM
remember LB is usually where they played down south, although some show him as a DB.  Might be a DE here... 6'3, 240... Hansen is 6'2 250... wonder what Coopers wingspan is.  77 7/8... Jefferson is 82 1/2 for reference...

That's why I said the " position title " doesn't mean much. Based on his tackles at depth behind the LOS he must have some speed and strength to be creating that kind of pressure. So yes, I could see him as competition for Mack and Wilcots as a DE.  Can't imagine him as a DB or SAM at 240 lbs though.

Reports from fans that go to practice sessions may update how he's been used. Could be a good addition as a DI and / or injury replacement.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Just like in the draft, you always go best player available. More than likely he is a great player we've had our eye on.
I'm sure we will see some DB's get picked up soon, but it doesn't mean we pass on talented players at other positions...

NewBlue

I doubt this happens but there is a slim chance Rutledge moves more into the secondary, especially if we need more help there.
We do need a little more size & aggressivness back there.  But he's done great right where he is, so if it ain't broke....

Blue In BC

Quote from: NewBlue on August 31, 2022, 05:11:53 PM
I doubt this happens but there is a slim chance Rutledge moves more into the secondary, especially if we need more help there.
We do need a little more size & aggressivness back there.  But he's done great right where he is, so if it ain't broke....

Probably not. I think Kramdi is the depth at SAM and he may not play again this week. I don't think we have many choices in the secondary besides Holm if Houston can't play. Not sure where Karamoko fits in exactly. He's the right size to play at WIL or SAM.

Anybody know where he practices or how he looks?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

NewBlue

They are both 99's and as such 2 of the youngest players on the roster.  Could just be PR guys for this year, although we are getting thin at WR.

Pigskin

Quote from: NewBlue on August 31, 2022, 05:11:53 PM

I can't see Rutledge moving anywhere. The guy has been rock solid all season long. A very nice replacement for Darby.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.