Previous topic - Next topic

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

Donny C

TheDeuce

Hey Donny!

Interested in a historical angle for your next article?  How about the questionable playoff record of CFL teams that have won 15+ games in the regular season?

There?s been some bad mojo associated with 15+ win teams over the years.

2019 TiCats.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Winnipeg.
2016 Stamps.  15-2-1.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Ottawa.
2009 Alouettes.  15-3.  Won the Grey Cup but needed the infamous ?too many men? penalty to do it.
1995 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Baltimore (who were also 15-3 to be fair).
1994 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to BC in the Western Final.
1993 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to Edmonton in the West Final.
1989 Eskimos.  16-2.  Lost to Saskatchewan in the West Final. 

Since the League went to an 18 game regular season the only 15+ win teams to hoist the Cup were the 1996 Argos, the 1997 Argos, the 2009 Alouettes (barely), and the 2014 Stamps.  In other words, CFL teams with 15+ win seasons are a questionable 4-6 in winning the Grey Cup since the League went to an 18 game regular season.

No Bomber fan should be thinking the threepeat is a given ? I sure as heck am not.  Given the history of 15+ win teams I?m wondering what kind of odds the bookmakers will be offering on the Bombers opponents.  Might have to invest in some Happiness Insurance.

That bad history is why I'm thinking a key to the game for the Bombers this weekend will be to dominate early and not let up.  Score early, score often, smother the Lions' offence, and have the game firmly in hand by the end of the third quarter - or earlier.  If this thing comes down to a last second field goal for the Bombers win I have no doubt that the winds of history will push that football wide left.

Thoughts?

m.
I went to the vet with my goldfish.
"I think it's got epilepsy" I says.
The vet takes a look & says, "It seems calm enough to me."

Stupid vet - I hadn't taken it out of the bowl yet.

TheDeuce

And why do my hyphens and apostrophes show up as question marks on this forum?  Voodoo?  :D

m.
I went to the vet with my goldfish.
"I think it's got epilepsy" I says.
The vet takes a look & says, "It seems calm enough to me."

Stupid vet - I hadn't taken it out of the bowl yet.

Donny C

Quote from: TheDeuce on November 10, 2022, 03:24:05 PM
Hey Donny!

Interested in a historical angle for your next article?  How about the questionable playoff record of CFL teams that have won 15+ games in the regular season?

There?s been some bad mojo associated with 15+ win teams over the years.

2019 TiCats.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Winnipeg.
2016 Stamps.  15-2-1.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Ottawa.
2009 Alouettes.  15-3.  Won the Grey Cup but needed the infamous ?too many men? penalty to do it.
1995 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost in the Grey Cup to Baltimore (who were also 15-3 to be fair).
1994 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to BC in the Western Final.
1993 Stamps.  15-3.  Lost to Edmonton in the West Final.
1989 Eskimos.  16-2.  Lost to Saskatchewan in the West Final. 

Since the League went to an 18 game regular season the only 15+ win teams to hoist the Cup were the 1996 Argos, the 1997 Argos, the 2009 Alouettes (barely), and the 2014 Stamps.  In other words, CFL teams with 15+ win seasons are a questionable 4-6 in winning the Grey Cup since the League went to an 18 game regular season.

No Bomber fan should be thinking the threepeat is a given ? I sure as heck am not.  Given the history of 15+ win teams I?m wondering what kind of odds the bookmakers will be offering on the Bombers opponents.  Might have to invest in some Happiness Insurance.

That bad history is why I'm thinking a key to the game for the Bombers this weekend will be to dominate early and not let up.  Score early, score often, smother the Lions' offence, and have the game firmly in hand by the end of the third quarter - or earlier.  If this thing comes down to a last second field goal for the Bombers win I have no doubt that the winds of history will push that football wide left.

Thoughts?

m.

Thanks! That will be in the end of season article (hopefully after a Grey  Cup Win).

I am not superstitious, but I learned my lesson.

I wrote about achieving 400 home wins, and they lost.

Since then I have purposely avoided mentioning any of these milestones.

Donny C

I?ve teased all week about talking with a BC Lions  insider, find out who in this article.

Who Will Win The Western Final? Bombers vs Lions!

https://cflnewshub.com/cfl-news/who-will-win-the-western-final-bombers-vs-lions/