Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 21, 2021, 02:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 07, 2022, 06:44:17 PM
My comparison is trading a player with the "C" on his chest.  Yes, you are correct, contract and clauses are totally different, but from a team dynamic, some would say trading the "C" is tough to do.  I think it actually kills two birds with one stone.  Gives us cap space and the "C" to sign PD80 long term...

Getting a wave of a no trade / no move clauses for an aging player on Canadian team with no playoff hope should be the easiest part of making this deal.  BW26 could be a key add for a team on a cup run.  Hardest part is getting the salary to fit, we could eat a small part of it, the other team would have to have a big ticket expiring contract player to deal back... THAT is the tough part...

It isn't really a tough job to do when the parties involved agree to it with few to no obstacles in the way. That's why it was comparatively easier to do with Ladd six years ago. A pure rental piece for a contender is the easiest part of the sell, as was the case (pending UFA, $4.4M cap hit with the Jets retaining 1/3 of it IIRC). The C on the jersey is relevant solely from an optics standpoint. Wheeler's contract, regardless of possible salary retention by the Jets, is not beneficial for a contender from a term standpoint and his cap hit would significantly affect two additional seasons for the team that were to take on his contract. There's also nothing to suggest Wheeler is interested in waiving his NMC right now, either. The cons far outweigh the pros as things stand currently regarding such a trade proposal. It just doesn't seem realistic or beneficial to a team currently in the hunt.

Re-signing Dubois also has little to no bearing on what happens with Wheeler vis a vis the team's salary cap implications. The Jets are projected to have around $11.7M of cap space going into the off-season, Dubois being the most important piece of the pending RFA group (he also has arbitration rights).
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

road griller

The horse is out of the barn with Helle, every team knows he sucks.  He works on closing one hole and another opens, it was short side high awhile ago and now it?s five hole flat on the ice.  The average Timbits player would light him up.

Hopefully there is a sucker out there and they can get something decent for him.  Addition by subtraction.

blue_or_die

Can you please stop with the "Helle sucks" posts? You're just repeating yourself over and over and no one is responding.

Almost like you're trying to bait someone (see what I'm getting at?)...
#Ride?

road griller

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 08, 2022, 02:20:17 AM
Can you please stop with the "Helle sucks" posts? You're just repeating yourself over and over and no one is responding.

I am sure they agree.  Although he still has some fooled I suppose.  Hopefully another GM is on that list.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 08, 2022, 02:20:17 AM

If it isn't Wheeler, Scheifele, or Morrissey, it's Hellebuyck*. Always easy to target the big names despite the fact it's a team sport and this team just isn't playing well in most phases of its collective game. That falls at the feet of every player and every coach.

Best to just ignore the occasional troll who wanders into this thread to crap on the Jets when they struggle. Rotting, low-hanging fruit is their preferred sustenance as they apply their clown makeup and defile threads.

* despite the analytics showing he's still performing well in spite of the issues plaguing the Jets: https://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm (but trolls don't do well with facts, as we all know)

Anyway, tall order ahead look at tonight's matchup with the back-to-back champs. Looks like Pionk and Toninato are out, with Brooks taking Toninato's spot.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 08, 2022, 05:09:11 PM
If it isn't Wheeler, Scheifele, or Morrissey, it's Hellebuyck*. Always easy to target the big names despite the fact it's a team sport and this team just isn't playing well in most phases of its collective game. That falls at the feet of every player and every coach.

Best to just ignore the occasional troll who wanders into this thread to crap on the Jets when they struggle. Rotting, low-hanging fruit is their preferred sustenance as they apply their clown makeup and defile threads.

* despite the analytics showing he's still performing well in spite of the issues plaguing the Jets: https://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm (but trolls don't do well with facts, as we all know)

Anyway, tall order ahead look at tonight's matchup with the back-to-back champs. Looks like Pionk and Toninato are out, with Brooks taking Toninato's spot.

Nicely said. Look at Oilers and all there very highly paid talent. There on another losing streak.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

If there was a logical replacement for CH37, you could entertain the idea of trading him.  Comrie is not, for sure.  Berdin is still an unknown, but has potential (too bad we can't get a look at what he can do at the NHL level).

I've seen meme's of "check engine light" regarding CH37... with people putting tape over the light... which I find both funny and appropriate.  I really think he needs a break... before he gets broken.  With Berdin so close by, no reason we can't give him a shot as well...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 08, 2022, 06:59:28 PM
If there was a logical replacement for CH37, you could entertain the idea of trading him.  Comrie is not, for sure.  Berdin is still an unknown, but has potential (too bad we can't get a look at what he can do at the NHL level).

I've seen meme's of "check engine light" regarding CH37... with people putting tape over the light... which I find both funny and appropriate.  I really think he needs a break... before he gets broken.  With Berdin so close by, no reason we can't give him a shot as well...

Why trade a Vezina winning goalie who remains one of the major factors in this team's ability to succeed? Even if there were a replacement, netminders of this calibre are a rare commodity and it'd make the Jets immediately weaker at an crucial position. He's a franchise goaltender.

Hellebuyck is the most worked goaltender so far this season but the Jets still need him until they're actually mathematically eliminated from contention. Same as any other player on their roster.

I fully expect Comrie, Berdin, and others to see time with the big club once they're eliminated.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

Nice win by the Jets tonight. PK is really playing well.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on March 09, 2022, 03:49:13 AM
Nice win by the Jets tonight. PK is really playing well.

But the Jets suck and Hellebuyck should be traded and nobody supports this team! :D

But seriously, what an awesome game last night. By no means a defensive masterpiece but the offense found its footing against a really stingy team.

This season is pretty much a write-off but there's reason for optimism going into 2022-23 with just a few changes.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

The place was packed, so there still is a lot of interest.

blue_or_die

great touch honouring the Canadian women's gold medal team on IWD and letting the Ste Anne gal Laroque drop the puck.

Oh, and beating the b2b defending champs in a high-scoring game was nice too!

I'm in "just entertain me" mode now.
#Ride?

theaardvark

Quote from: Pigskin on March 09, 2022, 03:12:02 PM
The place was packed, so there still is a lot of interest.

86% capacity... 12,895... not bad I guess
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 09, 2022, 04:51:52 PM
86% capacity... 12,895... not bad I guess

Considering the team has a 7% chance to make the playoffs, 86% of seats filled (or at least sold) speaks to not only the viability of this market but also that fans do care about the Jets even when they're in the midst of a bad and mostly forgettable season.

If the Bombers were in the midst of a similarly lousy campaign, I think IGF having 86% capacity for a home game would be positive.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 09, 2022, 05:54:43 PM
Considering the team has a 7% chance to make the playoffs, 86% of seats filled (or at least sold) speaks to not only the viability of this market but also that fans do care about the Jets even when they're in the midst of a bad and mostly forgettable season.

If the Bombers were in the midst of a similarly lousy campaign, I think IGF having 86% capacity for a home game would be positive.

Also, Tuesday night, which is a harder sell in any situation.
#Ride?