Open
9 (42.9%)
Leave as is
7 (33.3%)
Develop over/under passes
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Norlorne Dr.

Finally we can put this to rest.  Portage and Main will officially NOT be re-opened. 

theaardvark

So, now there needs to be some thought put into making what is there better...  maybe if they start one route at a time, focusing on the "crossing" that currently has the combination of most traffic and least access first...  either improving the concourse or starting a skywalk system. 

Even with the "no" vote, the alternate transit corridor should still be considered.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Colton

Quote from: Norlorne Dr. on October 25, 2018, 02:14:01 AM
Finally we can put this to rest.  Portage and Main will officially NOT be re-opened. 

That's not how a plebiscite works. It will still end up getting opened.

Norlorne Dr.

Quote from: Colton on October 25, 2018, 06:16:43 AM

Highly doubt it.  Even if you are right, it would not happen for a LONG time.  I doubt a mayor in the near future is going overlook public opinion and go ahead with it. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Norlorne Dr. on October 25, 2018, 11:22:19 AM
Highly doubt it.  Even if you are right, it would not happen for a LONG time.  I doubt a mayor in the near future is going overlook public opinion and go ahead with it. 

Why? It was one of Bowman's ideas going back to the 2014 election. He wants it open and yesterday's vote on that is non-binding. Bowman doesn't give a fig about public opinion.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Norlorne Dr.

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 25, 2018, 01:05:11 PM
Why? It was one of Bowman's ideas going back to the 2014 election. He wants it open and yesterday's vote on that is non-binding. Bowman doesn't give a fig about public opinion.

It was one of his "ideas".  Nothing really became of it in his last 4 years other than "talks".  I am fine disagreeing with you and am not really interested in making a big debate over this issues, but personally I doubt anything will happen with Portage and Main in the next several years.  Just my 2 cents. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Norlorne Dr. on October 25, 2018, 01:19:29 PM
It was one of his "ideas".  Nothing really became of it in his last 4 years other than "talks".  I am fine disagreeing with you and am not really interested in making a big debate over this issues, but personally I doubt anything will happen with Portage and Main in the next several years.  Just my 2 cents. 

And a bunch of viability studies. And massive coverage in the media. And then adding it to yesterday's ballot. That's way more than just talk.

I won't speculate on a timeframe. However, I'm pretty certain Bowman will do all he can to open P&M during this next term. Yesterday's vote on that changes nothing, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

The vote was no, so I guess we can put that to rest.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Norlorne Dr.

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 25, 2018, 01:28:42 PM
And a bunch of viability studies. And massive coverage in the media. And then adding it to yesterday's ballot. That's way more than just talk.

I won't speculate on a timeframe. However, I'm pretty certain Bowman will do all he can to open P&M during this next term. Yesterday's vote on that changes nothing, IMO.

I am not very familiar with these types of questions on voting ballots.  What is the point of having them on the ballot if the mayor will completely disregard the results??

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Norlorne Dr. on October 25, 2018, 01:35:09 PM
I am not very familiar with these types of questions on voting ballots.  What is the point of having them on the ballot if the mayor will completely disregard the results??

Because he's a crappy mayor...? I mean, look at his track record the last four years.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Norlorne Dr.

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on October 25, 2018, 01:45:32 PM
Because he's a crappy mayor...? I mean, look at his track record the last four years.

Well, call me naive, but I think Bowman will take the moral high ground over the next 4 years and not go ahead with any plans for Portage and Main.  Having an official vote on a ballot should be enough to keep him at bay for the near future.

theaardvark

If he isn't interested in getting elected again, he will disregard this vote.  But he knows, he gets elected by some of those 65% that voted "no", and he can kiss those votes goodbye if he opens P&M.

Yes, the Yes vote map is all downtown.  Unfortunately, the Open faction did not sway the rest of the city, they managed to make their core more stalwart.  Had they mounted a more persuasive campaign to those that they need to for "Open", they might have won, but it seemed like most of their campaign was aimed at the downtown.  Which we can see by the map was already a Yes
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: Colton on October 25, 2018, 06:16:43 AM

I agree. There will be more of a delay in it going forward, but I would still put money on it happening.
My wife is amazing!

bomber4life85

I dont mind it being open. Realistically look around the world and in the largest cities.. No body has it closed. Its ridiculous. Underground is not safe, its confusing and not welcoming. I also dont mind the idea of the overpass for pedestrians. Building something like that would sure be iconic in Canada. If you make it attractive, lit up and maybe even have an retractable tunnel roof that goes open and closed with the seasons and weather.. that would sure be awesome. I just really don't like the underground idea. I never have. Its not like its linking to a subway or something lol.