9 (42.9%)
Leave as is
7 (33.3%)
Develop over/under passes
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Old Rusty

Quote from: Jesse on October 26, 2018, 07:43:35 PM
I agree. There will be more of a delay in it going forward, but I would still put money on it happening.

I also agree.
As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

Old Rusty

Quote from: bomber4life85 on November 04, 2018, 06:52:10 PM
I dont mind it being open. Realistically look around the world and in the largest cities.. No body has it closed. Its ridiculous. Underground is not safe, its confusing and not welcoming. I also dont mind the idea of the overpass for pedestrians. Building something like that would sure be iconic in Canada. If you make it attractive, lit up and maybe even have an retractable tunnel roof that goes open and closed with the seasons and weather.. that would sure be awesome. I just really don't like the underground idea. I never have. Its not like its linking to a subway or something lol.

Well said.  Cool ideas too.  The current underpass is getting dingy. 
As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Old Rusty on November 21, 2018, 10:09:29 PM
Well said.  Cool ideas too.  The current underpass is getting dingy. 

Bottom line is the entire intersection and square below require repairs, so something has to be done - and that'll be expensive regardless of the plan or open vs. closed.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on November 22, 2018, 04:02:29 PM
Bottom line is the entire intersection and square below require repairs, so something has to be done - and that'll be expensive regardless of the plan or open vs. closed.

Yep, those who oppose it because the "money could be spent better elsewhere" are in for a rude awakening when they see the cash it will take to repair the barriers and the underground.
#Ride?

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 22, 2018, 06:52:35 PM
Yep, those who oppose it because the "money could be spent better elsewhere" are in for a rude awakening when they see the cash it will take to repair the barriers and the underground.

The underground is particularly in need of a refresh. I walk through it twice a day on my way to work and my parking spot. Everything needs to be replaced, flooring, handrails (which are constantly breaking and getting patched up), ceiling, lighting, you name it. It looks like a time capsule to the 60s or 70s or something.

Pigskin

Yes, but tax payers will not be on the hook for the repairs to the underground.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Jesse

Quote from: Pigskin on November 24, 2018, 08:42:39 PM

How do you figure that?
My wife is amazing!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Pigskin on November 24, 2018, 08:42:39 PM

Of course they are. Who else is going to pay for it?

Horseman

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 22, 2018, 06:52:35 PM

Not opposed to it because the money could be better spent elsewhere, opposed to it to keep pedestrians from creating a traffic headache at that intersection. People being people will not obey the traffic signals and will be crossing when they aren't suppose to causing traffic delays. I remember how it was in the 70's.

blue_or_die

Quote from: Horseman on November 26, 2018, 08:29:26 PM
Not opposed to it because the money could be better spent elsewhere, opposed to it to keep pedestrians from creating a traffic headache at that intersection. People being people will not obey the traffic signals and will be crossing when they aren't suppose to causing traffic delays. I remember how it was in the 70's.

But as discussed elsewhere in this thread, there are other intersections in the city that are busier and many others that would be considered very busy, and all are open to pedestrians.
#Ride?

Horseman

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 26, 2018, 08:36:56 PM
But as discussed elsewhere in this thread, there are other intersections in the city that are busier and many others that would be considered very busy, and all are open to pedestrians.

This is Winnipeg's major intersection in the heart of downtown. Pedestrians trying to cross this intersection at rush hour has fatal collision written all over it. End of story.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_or_die on November 26, 2018, 08:36:56 PM

And those intersections do not have alternate crossing options, and have had fatalities. 

To make the corner a little more accessible to pedestrians, to shave a few minutes off a few people's "commute", you will be risking lives, and interrupting traffic, causing longer commutes and more pollution for thousands of people daily.  And, not only does it create an intersection where pedestrians are at risk, it also makes vehicular traffic more dangerous.  More accidents will happen, which will tie up traffic horribly. 

I sympathize with the people who the closed intersection inconveniences.  But I'm sorry, its just not worth the loss of time, money and lives.  There are alternatives, no one's life depends on crossing Portage and Main.  Many may want to, many may think it is their right, but it isn't...  if the city thinks that it is not worth the risk and expense... then there it is.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 27, 2018, 01:01:13 AM
And those intersections do not have alternate crossing options, and have had fatalities. 

To make the corner a little more accessible to pedestrians, to shave a few minutes off a few people's "commute", you will be risking lives, and interrupting traffic, causing longer commutes and more pollution for thousands of people daily.  And, not only does it create an intersection where pedestrians are at risk, it also makes vehicular traffic more dangerous.  More accidents will happen, which will tie up traffic horribly. 

I sympathize with the people who the closed intersection inconveniences.  But I'm sorry, its just not worth the loss of time, money and lives.  There are alternatives, no one's life depends on crossing Portage and Main.  Many may want to, many may think it is their right, but it isn't...  if the city thinks that it is not worth the risk and expense... then there it is.

I still find this argument just ridiculous. This intersection is no different than any other in the world, but for some reason if we open it up, we're risking lives?
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on November 27, 2018, 01:01:13 AM

Absolutely ridiculous and nonsensical article. There is a certain amount of risk everyone takes every single day. When you go outside, you expose yourself to an extremely, extremely minute amount of radiation. You have a "crossing alternative" and that is to stay indoors at absolutely all times. So, do you never, ever go outside? You make it sound like 10 people would be hit by a car at this intersection every month or something. I guess you advocate for every single intersection to have an underground passage way so that no one would ever, ever be exposed to any sort of risk?
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on November 27, 2018, 04:21:20 AM
I still find this argument just ridiculous. This intersection is no different than any other in the world, but for some reason if we open it up, we're risking lives?

Of course not. It's just the typical bass-ackwards, fear-mongering nonsense from those afraid of change. Of course, the crotchety whiners stuck in the past have absolutely no data by which to back up their weak and delusional argument.

P&M isn't some special place. It's just another intersection in an urban environment, the likes of which exist in hundreds of cities around the world. You don't see the rest of those ones closed, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.