World Cup of Soccer

Started by In Motion, July 15, 2018, 03:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In Motion

Any one else following the World Cup? I've found it very entertaining. I've watched about 6 games
and parts of a couple of others.

I like both France and Croatia, but I think I'll cheer for Croatia
since they've never won it all before. The Croatians living in Winnipeg
have been very out there, even waving flags and spraying red smoke
at Portage & Main.

BlueInCgy

Since I'm not a particular fan of the sport, but I am currently in Europe on business (Germany/Italy) for extended secondment, I decided I'd watch some of the games to get the full Euro experience.  It's been interesting from a cultural perspective to say the least.

Initially it was pretty wild.  Everywhere you went, there were German flag and team memorabilia everywhere, with marketing on everything from sandwich bags to M&Ms with only three colours (black, yellow, red in Germany, though I'm sure it was red white and blue in France and red white and green in Italy).  It was a raucous event almost every night.

Then came the South Korea game.

And the day after that, no one wanted to talk about the World Cup anymore.

That being said, I did watch the final.  Not being able to understand the commentators didn't affect my lack of enjoyment of the game.  I just don't get it.  It's like cricket or baseball, just not enough action for my liking.  And the catastrophic injuries that you are waiting for the ambulance to drive onto the field....oh, wait, he's up and fine, not even a limp.....