2.2 million dollar street party

Started by NorthernSkunk, June 04, 2018, 10:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernSkunk

Just seen on the news the street parties cost almost 2.2 million and they are trying to figure out who is paying for it. Shouldn't the Jets be paying for it ? 

gbill2004

Quote from: NorthernSkunk on June 04, 2018, 10:57:07 PM
Just seen on the news the street parties cost almost 2.2 million and they are trying to figure out who is paying for it. Shouldn't the Jets be paying for it ? 
Jets paid $1.1 million of the total cost: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-jets-whiteout-street-parties-1.4690946   

GOLDMEMBER

Part of the Eatons building chain gang eh skunky?
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

NorthernSkunk

Sorry goldmember I don't know that gang.

Why don't they cover the whole thing gbill ?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on June 04, 2018, 11:10:32 PM
Jets paid $1.1 million of the total cost: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-jets-whiteout-street-parties-1.4690946   

All this fake outrage from whiny Winnipeggers is priceless. :D

This was a great spring for Winnipeg's sport scene and people here should probably get used to it. Money well spent, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Colton

gbill2004

Quote from: NorthernSkunk on June 05, 2018, 01:29:15 AM
Sorry goldmember I don't know that gang.

Why don't they cover the whole thing gbill ?
Because the city of Winnipeg benefited as well from a tourism and exposure perspective. I don?t know what the right breakdown is, but I agree that TNSE probably shouldn?t cover all of it. As it stands they covered a little over half the cost, with half of that being covered by concession revenue.

blue_gold_84

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/06/04/winnipeg-whiteout-street-parties-cost/#.WxX1a-4vz4Y

"The Winnipeg Whiteout Street Parties has elevated our city's prominence on the map," said Dayna Spiring, president and CEO of Economic Development Winnipeg, Inc.

"From Nashville to New York, and from Las Vegas to Helsinki, people are taking note of Winnipeg, its energy, and its people. This will have a long-term positive impact for our city."

Organizers say the earned media value for coverage of the parties is approximately $2.2 million, which includes nearly 400 separate news articles and a total news media reach of over 233 million.

#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

buckzumhoff

True North  should pay the whole bill or at least 75 per cent. City is always giving breaks then they say they don?t have money to trim the trees cut the grass and fix roads

theaardvark

I have no issue with the Jets making money.  Their take on the playoff run was huge, tickets, concessions, etc.  Those profits coming off of their properties, that they pay the expenses for, no issue whatsoever.

But they made a bunch of money off the whiteout street party.  Huge merch sales, as well as concessions.  And that was on property that they don't own.  So they should pay the expenses. 

The other question I have is that, while city services are paid for out of taxes, how much tax incentive does True North receive?  Most home owners and businesses here have to pay the full level of taxes, but the sports teams do get breaks.  If they are already getting breaks on the taxes that are paying these expenses, shouldn't they voluntarily come forward with covering the full tab?  I'm not saying take a loss on the events, but True North made a lot of money on this, more than enough to cover the expenses. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

*shrug* --  our tax dollars go to a whole bunch of services and programs I personally never use. That's fine, as others use them. They also go to 'non-essential' things like flower beds, trees in medians, painted soccer fields, rec programs etc that are nice to have but wouldn't bring our city to a halt if they weren't done. The street party is like that. It was a cool thing to attend and fun for our city. It was open to all, for free. We need to be fiscally responsible but if you cut out all the 'non-essential' services that the city provides Winnipeg would be a horrible place to live. I like sports. I'm glad the city invests tax dollars in sports as part of their spending mix. The end as far as I'm concerned.

Stretch

My understanding is that the street parties were put on jointly by True North and Economic Development Winnipeg, so I'm fine with splitting the tab.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

theaardvark

Quote from: Stretch on June 05, 2018, 02:16:55 PM
My understanding is that the street parties were put on jointly by True North and Economic Development Winnipeg, so I'm fine with splitting the tab.

I still think it would be proper PR for the team to cover the cities expenses... they still come out with a tidy profit, and they still profit from tax breaks.  Give back a little of the money they took in from Winnipeggers on licensed merch and overpriced beers....
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

aardvark, are you sure TNSE made a profit on the street party?

They certainly made money off of beer and merch at the street party (not food though because that was all food trucks who probably paid the city for a permit to set up), but are you sure this was in excess of the money they paid to the street party?
#Ride?

TrueBlue75

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 05, 2018, 01:37:59 AM
All this fake outrage from whiny Winnipeggers is priceless. :D

This was a great spring for Winnipeg's sport scene and people here should probably get used to it. Money well spent, IMO.

No kidding! And some media are totally playing it up too.  ::) The attention that the city of Wpg got from the whiteouts will payoff in future tourism and business opportunities. How do you put a dollar amount on that?

Aardvark, the Jets took a $600,000 loss on the whiteout parties. They made $500,000 off of concessions and beverages so they did not recoup their total payment of 1.1 million. No "tidy profit" as you called it.