NHL Discussion (Other than Jets)

Started by AngryGreg, January 26, 2014, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New_Earth_Mud

My 2 bits..

Babcock taking his money. Huge payday.

What he actually needs to produce in TO is very little. Hes the HC and he can only do whats given to him.

He took the money. TO will not be good in 3 years.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

Sir Blue and Gold

Maybe all that money and all that term will force Toronto to be patient and stick to a plan for once...maybe.

BomberPride

Leafs took a good step forward with getting Babcock. But holy cow - for $50 Million.
What is more gentle than water, yet who can control the raging flood?

theaardvark

Remember, Toronto traded for Nathan Horton, a player they can eat millions of dollars of salary on because his contract is guaranteed and Hortion is on the IR and may never play again.  This team has huge resources to eat non cap money all day long.  $50 mil to get the guy regarded as the best free agent in this years market?  Peanut money.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

BomberPride

blue_gold_84

Former Detroit Red Wings star Slava Fetisov calls for ban on young Russians playing in NHL

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/nhl/former-detroit-red-wings-star-slava-fetisov-calls-for-ban-on-young-russians-playing-in-nhl-304706881.html

MOSCOW - Former Detroit Red Wings star Slava Fetisov has called for Russia to reintroduce Soviet-style restrictions to prevent promising young hockey players from moving to the NHL.

Fetisov, who is now a senator in Russia, tells Russia's R-Sport news agency that federal law should be used to stop Russian players from moving to North America before they turn 28.

The aim is to keep "our most talented guys, the ones who the people come to see."

Fetisov was one of the first players to benefit from the relaxation of Soviet-era rules which prevented any hockey players from leaving. He moved to the NHL in 1989 with the New Jersey Devils when he was 31, and went on to win two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 22, 2015, 03:54:24 PM
Former Detroit Red Wings star Slava Fetisov calls for ban on young Russians playing in NHL

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/nhl/former-detroit-red-wings-star-slava-fetisov-calls-for-ban-on-young-russians-playing-in-nhl-304706881.html

MOSCOW - Former Detroit Red Wings star Slava Fetisov has called for Russia to reintroduce Soviet-style restrictions to prevent promising young hockey players from moving to the NHL.

Fetisov, who is now a senator in Russia, tells Russia's R-Sport news agency that federal law should be used to stop Russian players from moving to North America before they turn 28.

The aim is to keep "our most talented guys, the ones who the people come to see."

Fetisov was one of the first players to benefit from the relaxation of Soviet-era rules which prevented any hockey players from leaving. He moved to the NHL in 1989 with the New Jersey Devils when he was 31, and went on to win two Stanley Cups with the Red Wings.

Lol to that last line. Seriously Russians are really losing their minds over there. Politics creeping into sport is a sure sign of growing diplomatic tension. Not good at all.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 22, 2015, 05:19:47 PM
Lol to that last line. Seriously Russians are really losing their minds over there. Politics creeping into sport is a sure sign of growing diplomatic tension. Not good at all.

It's a last ditch effort to retain Russian players. They can't pay them, so might as well force them to say. What a disgrace. I expected better from Fetisov, to be honest.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 22, 2015, 06:31:01 PM
It's a last ditch effort to retain Russian players. They can't pay them, so might as well force them to say. What a disgrace. I expected better from Fetisov, to be honest.

I know this is a hockey discussion but we should all be taking note about what's going on in Russia right now. Things are trending in a scary direction.

buckzumhoff

Fetisov should worry more about what his country is doing to others and not worry about his hockey buddies. Now he is a senator? No wonder they all think like Putin .

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 22, 2015, 07:16:43 PM
I know this is a hockey discussion but we should all be taking note about what's going on in Russia right now. Things are trending in a scary direction.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Russia seems to be adopting its Soviet strategy of isolation once again and it's sure making its close neighbours nervous.

Anyways, veering off-topic - especially into world politics - should be avoided here. I just found interesting someone like Fetisov, a Russian who got his chance to play hockey thanks to the NHL, is now seemingly so anti-NHL as the KHL continues to crumble.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

royrdsjr

I think that I'm starting to warm up to the potential of an Anaheim Ducks-Tampa Bay Lightning Stanley Cup finals(Ducks versus the Triplets). I also have to agree with the talking heads that there is no team in the east who can stand up to the Ducks physically.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 22, 2015, 07:16:43 PM

Jus gotta say... America has gone off and killed more people and caused more chaos and made the world much more scary then Russia ever has. ISIS is a pretty scary deal.

Anyway... I have zero issue with them wanting to keep their players. The NHL is a bit of a weird deal for sports. Its World wide and all hockey players want to play in it. Not sure i can think of another league in another sport like it.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

GOLDMEMBER

Ducks take the cup Vs TB in 5

There I said it!!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

BomberPride

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on May 26, 2015, 09:05:30 PM
Ducks take the cup Vs TB in 5

There I said it!!

for awhile I was thinking the same thing. But now Rangers and Hawks have forced a game 7.

Would be nice to see another original 6 final...but the beach series could be a clear sweep for the ducks if that happens.