"Mugging" DPI

Started by TecnoGenius, September 02, 2024, 06:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 03, 2024, 02:01:19 AMYa, I see no real play there.  Trevor threw too short to be the seam go-route.  So it was ostensibly to be the outside R crossing back in, but our D guy who got knocked down would have been all over him if he hadn't been mugged.

I'd really love to hear what (D whiz) MOS would coach this guy on what to do next time.  Can someone call the question into the Coach's show (which is probably Tues this week?).

Yeah, the Coach's Show is Tuesday this week.

You can always text your question to them at 204-780-6868.

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 03, 2024, 01:55:39 AMWhat's your reasoning there?  I'm curious.

Like you mentioned, the ball was clearly not released yet when the contact occurred. Therefore, no DPI, just IC. Can't have DPI if no pass has been made. I believe I've seen that challenge made before.

bomb squad

Quote from: TecnoGenius on September 03, 2024, 01:58:56 AMSo how does the defender do that?  What if he thinks the R is going left and he dodges but the R then jinks right on purpose?

On this play the IC D guy may have been paying more attention to the outside R, and not enough attention to the inside R who mugged him.

After the play someone is returning to the huddle and Trevor gives him a hidden lowered high-five, like "good job on the DPI, just like we drew it up".

QuoteSo how does the defender do that?

Take a side step to get out of his way. If the R still runs into him, it's on the R. In the play,the R takes a half step to the right and the defender steps into him. The R played it smart to get the call. The defender didn't make the move he needed to make to not get the call.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on September 03, 2024, 05:18:27 AMLike you mentioned, the ball was clearly not released yet when the contact occurred. Therefore, no DPI, just IC. Can't have DPI if no pass has been made. I believe I've seen that challenge made before.

Ya, but what about the booth guys' favorite saying "IC gets upgrade to DPI if the ball is thrown to the IC'd R"?  Is this just another "Old Suitor's Tale"?

And I couldn't find any reference in the DPI rules about ball being thrown / not thrown yet.  Which surprised me a bit.

If anyone can find the rules that would govern here, let me know.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bomb squad on September 03, 2024, 05:47:35 AMTake a side step to get out of his way. If the R still runs into him, it's on the R. In the play,the R takes a half step to the right and the defender steps into him. The R played it smart to get the call. The defender didn't make the move he needed to make to not get the call.

The more I learn, the more I think the life of a DB is difficult and crappy.  They may have the hardest job on the field.  The are usually in 1-on-1 situations and thus get full scrutiny from the refs, unlike other players that are usually in a scrum.  And the CFL rules are designed to favor the O at the expense of the DB.

And they don't make much money!!

If anyone knows a kid just getting into football: inform them to take any position except DB!  It's a life of getting the shaft.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: gobombersgo on September 03, 2024, 03:41:55 AMYeah, the Coach's Show is Tuesday this week.

You can always text your question to them at 204-780-6868.

I may just try that!  Do they use texts if you send them in many hours ahead of time?
Never go full Rider!

jdrattops

Hey if your not trying to cheat, your not trying to win.  I'm sure Osh has already sent the tape to the league office/head of officiating asking for an explanation. This is probably a one and done scenario.  I do question why there was no OC on Sask for all motioning for a flag.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: jdrattops on September 03, 2024, 12:46:35 PMHey if your not trying to cheat, your not trying to win.  I'm sure Osh has already sent the tape to the league office/head of officiating asking for an explanation. This is probably a one and done scenario.  I do question why there was no OC on Sask for all motioning for a flag.

It's been at least 2 whole seasons since refs have thrown a flag for the "throw a flag" motion.  Players do it all the time now.  I think a memo went out saying "we don't care about this anymore".  But of course, us plebe fans aren't privy to the Top Secret CFL memos.
Never go full Rider!