50 CENT TO HEADLINE LIONS’ THIRD ANNUAL CONCERT KICKOFF AT HOME OPENER

Started by Blueforlife, May 27, 2024, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 01, 2024, 07:24:30 PMThe plan, the goal, the strategy, the end result, whatever you want to call it, is not just to get people to go to a game, rather it is selling the game and keep people returning to the game. 50 Cents, the Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift and the likes are not going to do that, plain and simple. There is no proof these performers do anything to increase the fan base.

It's nice to see 50 Cents bring more fans into this one game but it's not going to consistently bring more new football fans to future games. Let's see how many of those 50 Cent fans are at the next Lions' game.

It's a great idea and a sound strategy...not one single thing is going to sell more tickets to the lions games...if people go to the stadium to see fiddy and the game day experience is fun and relatively cheap - people's idea of a lions game may change.  Get people in the door, knock their socks off with the experience and they will come back / not all but some will. 

There are plenty of people who come to bomber games and don't even really watch the game..they come for the rum hut, the summer evening, hanging with friends. 

People are talking about the lions home opener - that is good news.

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on June 01, 2024, 10:44:10 PMIt's a great idea and a sound strategy...not one single thing is going to sell more tickets to the lions games...if people go to the stadium to see fiddy and the game day experience is fun and relatively cheap - people's idea of a lions game may change.  Get people in the door, knock their socks off with the experience and they will come back / not all but some will. 

There are plenty of people who come to bomber games and don't even really watch the game..they come for the rum hut, the summer evening, hanging with friends. 

People are talking about the lions home opener - that is good news.

Exactly. How on earth could selling out the home opener be anything but a good thing?
My wife is amazing!

KINGCHARLES

Amazing that BC's owners focus on having a large crowd for 1 game per season. I heard they are opening the entire upper bowl too for 50 cent. 2023 they averaged 23,208/game which was there largest avg since 2014. In comparison the Bombers had over 24,000 to last nights preseason game.
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 01, 2024, 07:24:30 PMThe plan, the goal, the strategy, the end result, whatever you want to call it, is not just to get people to go to a game, rather it is selling the game and keep people returning to the game. 50 Cents, the Rolling Stones, Taylor Swift and the likes are not going to do that, plain and simple. There is no proof these performers do anything to increase the fan base.

You're not thinking about the person on the margin.  The guy who could be a fan and return for more games if X happens, or they get Y feelz at a game.  There's always the marginal buyer, a group of one, right on the edge of buy/not-buy.  You get him, then you work on the next marginal buyer.  But try to do it en-masse instead of one at a time.

I was that marginal buyer in 2013.  I hadn't been to more than 1 game in 20 years, even though I went a few times a year when I was a kid.  And I hadn't watched it on TV in 20 years until I stumbled across it by accident in 2011 for the GC.  My (STH) dad dragged me to a game @IGF with the in-laws in 2013, and I was instantly hooked.  And not so much by the game (we lost badly) as the whole enchilada including the atmosphere.  Started going to 2, then 3, then 5, then 9 games a year after that (then STH).  My dad doesn't drag me to that game, I'm not a fan today.

There are hundreds or thousands just like me that need that little nudge to become the regular customer.  Some huge-name rapper can be that nudge.  I think it's a great idea.

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on June 02, 2024, 12:07:03 AMAmazing that BC's owners focus on having a large crowd for 1 game per season. I heard they are opening the entire upper bowl too for 50 cent. 2023 they averaged 23,208/game which was there largest avg since 2014.

Well, there's your proof that maybe the big-rapper trick really does lead to more regular customers!  Ya, winning also helps, but BC was having problems with attendance even when they were regularly hosting home WSFs and getting to WDFs.  Again, the owner must be smart guy, probably a numbers/marketing guy too, and I bet he's done the math.
Never go full Rider!

ModAdmin

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to bring a big entertainment act in for this one game.  I'm simply saying the Lions or any team has to come up with a long term plan to put more people in the seats.  Sure some people who bought tickets to see 50 Cents will return but keep in mind they are not likely going there to see the Lions, they are obviously going to see 50 Cents.

In any event, I wish the Lions well and with the size of city and capacity of their stadium, they need to develop strategies that get people to think about the CFL and Lions with activities that draw sports/football fans to their game.

Like I said earlier, the proof will not be the crowd they draw for the 50 Cent concert, but rather the crowds they draw in subsequent games.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blueforlife

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 02, 2024, 01:31:04 AMI'm not saying it's a bad idea to bring a big entertainment act in for this one game.  I'm simply saying the Lions or any team has to come up with a long term plan to put more people in the seats.  Sure some people who bought tickets to see 50 Cents will return but keep in mind they are not likely going there to see the Lions, they are obviously going to see 50 Cents.

In any event, I wish the Lions well and with the size of city and capacity of their stadium, they need to develop strategies that get people to think about the CFL and Lions with activities that draw sports/football fans to their game.

Like I said earlier, the proof will not be the crowd they draw for the 50 Cent concert, but rather the crowds they draw in subsequent games.
Don't need proof it's worked in the past (attendance boost).  The tone of your original post was a wee bit negative about this concert and under states how effective BC's strategy to combining football and music (star power) has been .

These games with big name music stars shine a light on the CFL in many corners of NA that wouldn't otherwise see it.

boscoe

I don't even think ppl are going just for concert or care who it is. it's an event.

lions are quite big in the area the issue is getting them downtown which is the same issue the canucks have

Stats Junkie

The final 1500 lower bowl seats have been added for this game at Save-On-Foods Field at BC Place.

According to J.J.Adams and Farhan Lalji, the stage will be moved on field and the banners which cover 4 sections will be removed.

These newly released seats come with a $200 price tag but include on field access for the concert. In addition, any other seat holder can purchase on field access for an additional $100.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71